MRP / Trib. 2023 MRP Lotto

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Carey absolutely nailed it.

Replace Burton with Thomas and the blood thirsty media mob would be fueling public debate over whether several months suspension or deregistration was the most appropriate penalty.

No doubt deserved a couple for a bump gone wrong but I challenge anyone to name a player in the history of the game who has been so viciously misunderstood, and had to endure this level of unjustified character assassination. FMD That twat Gleeson ostensibly referenced the look on a female trainers face as a definitive guide to Lindsay's guilt.

Really feel for him.
Another comparison: if it was Selwood on Thomas, how many times would the phrase "ball player" be used?

What a total ****en joke.
No consistency.

If LT is guilty. Not saying he shouldn’t be then how the **** isn’t Burton. He lined him up. Made the choice to not tackle and elected to bump.

Trial by ******* media.

Farcical system.
I have completely lost any of the remaining misguided faith I ever had in the AFL. I am glad I burned my AFL membership. It had no value to me when I did, and it has less now.

I still love North Melbourne, but not the AFL.

Lewis on 360 reckons the Burton/Higgins incident could not have been prevented.

Riewoldt, Robbo and Gerard just looked at him like he was a moron
Maybe because he is?

The bloke is a grub and it wouldn’t surprise me if he has got that on replay and batting himself silly.

This is the bloke that thinks football is about taking the oppositions most dangerous player out by any means necessary.

what a world we live in, where potential for causing injury is considered more serious than actually causing actual injury.
ABSOLUTELY AMAZING.

Sorry about the caps. I accidentally had caps lock on, but i left it as it needs to be shouted anyway.

I'm a touch perplexed. Cam Z needs to take into account that his opponent is near the edge of play when executing a fair bump because there is the potential for serious injury. Burton executes an - apparently - fair bump in play that splits his opponents face open with his head yet he is not responsible for the potential, real as it turns out, to cause injury. It was neater to just have players responsible for any bump that went wrong, unfair to the player at times, but simpler.

I'm a touch perplexed. Cam Z needs to take into account that his opponent is near the edge of play when executing a fair bump because there is the potential for serious injury. Burton executes an - apparently - fair bump in play that splits his opponents face open with his head yet he is not responsible for the potential, real as it turns out, to cause injury. It was neater to just have players responsible for any bump that went wrong, unfair to the player at times, but simpler.

Only in the world of AFL is 'the potential for serious injury' worse than an actual injury.

If Steve Hocking is fair dinkum, and assuming he has the power, he should challenge Michael Christians decision to let Burton off. Surely what we have been hearing for quite a while now, that the head is sacrosanct and if a player chooses to bump rather than tackle, and collects someone high, even if the hit to the head was accidental then they must face the consequences. Everything that Burton did fits that description.

That was a very ugly look for the game yesterday. The fact that the player who chose to bump has got off, will surely see some more parents decide that their children should not play Australian Rules. They will make this decision because they will believe that those who adjudicate the rules, have chosen not to send a message that the head is sacrosanct.

Mrs. Horace, whose interest in Australian Rules is akin to minus 10 out of 10, is outraged at what she saw. That she is outraged in my view is quite telling, because in my opinion she is reflecting what many people who do not follow the game, will be thinking right now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If it was Luke Hodge they would have been applauding his toughness.

They'd be saying "Hodge knew he had to assert himself physically to get the 'follow me boys' message to his teammates and change the direction of the game, with his team being down at the time. Selfless and the actions of an inspirational captain."

Lewis on 360 reckons the Burton/Higgins incident could not have been prevented.

Riewoldt, Robbo and Gerard just looked at him like he was a moron

Lewis has a heart which, as the GoDees song goes, "beats true for the wees and the poo........". Sticking up for his mates.

LMAO Christian:
"We thought that the impact from Lindsay Thomas was probably graded at high. But we've decided to upgrade the charge to severe based on the pontential for injury".

Obvious different rules for different players.
Hang on.

Actual impact upgraded because of potential impact, not actual impact?

Take that s**t to court.

Just when I thought things couldn't get more bizarre with the tribunal.

If Steve Hocking is fair dinkum, and assuming he has the power, he should challenge Michael Christians decision to let Burton off. Surely what we have been hearing for quite a while now, that the head is sacrosanct and if a player chooses to bump rather than tackle, and collects someone high, even if the hit to the head was accidental then they must face the consequences. Everything that Burton did fits that description.

That was a very ugly look for the game yesterday. The fact that the player who chose to bump has got off, will surely see some more parents decide that their children should not play Australian Rules. They will make this decision because they will believe that those who adjudicate the rules, have chosen not to send a message that the head is sacrosanct.

Mrs. Horace, whose interest in Australian Rules is akin to minus 10 out of 10, is outraged at what she saw. That she is outraged in my view is quite telling, because in my opinion she is reflecting what many people who do not follow the game, will be thinking right now.

Johno Brown threw this out there with Afl collusion comments last night OTC.

Will be an interesting afternoon today down there...

I remember this all started when Byron Pickett effectively ended Brendan krummels career and that bump was in there with regardless where the ball was blah blah . He hit him in the head knocked him out should've got weeks . Higgins might not be the same after this ..

[Sicily]

Robbo: This is ridiculous. The guy laying on the ground can't protect himself. We can't sit at the tribunal and have them say "nah it was just a little one, we'll ignore it"
Sicily has been warned by coaches friends and others to stop being a dill.
That's a lie. I'd be a amazed if the campaigner had any friends.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

I’m actually okay with the Burton/Higgins result, the MRO said he was going to be a bit more subjective and not just follow the grading table to the tee like previous seasons.

Yes, Burton chose to bump but no part of his shoulder collected Higgins high and it was accidental head on head contact.

I’ve been a massive advocate for letting accidental incidents slide as it’s a contact sport so accidents will happen, just unfortunate that our boy was on the end of it :cry:
Did burton really chose to bump. Looked like he simply ran into higgo. Didnt even seem to brace and the impaxt looked from front of his head.

I'd be staggered if the AFL don't appeal this decision (Burton). It flies in the face of everything they have been telling us about selecting other options. Burton could have chose to tackle. Saying he couldn't because it would have been holding the man is ridiculous. He disposed of the ball a fraction of a second before being impacted and there would be 50 times a game that isn't paid holding the man as long as you don't hang on.

They are massively opening themselves up because this will encourage more bumping again and there will be incidental headclashes. Some of those players (particularly if they're "disliked") will get weeks for exactly the same behaviour.

Did burton really chose to bump. Looked like he simply ran into higgo. Didnt even seem to brace and the impaxt looked from front of his head.

That's a pretty fine shaving to go with though. He didn't choose to tackle and he ran into him at full tilt from 15-20m away. It's still a bump in my view if you run through someone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back