2018 Music

kangaspurs

Cancelled
Jul 14, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Tottenham, Melbourne City FC
Because it's a new year. Post your favourite tunes.

For me it couldn't have started better because the absolute legend that is Jeff Rosenstock released a surprise new album that can be downloaded for free on Bandcamp.

https://jeffrosenstock.bandcamp.com/

Last edited:
Because it's a new year. Post your favourite tunes.

For me it couldn't have started because the absolute legend that is Jeff Rosenstock released a surprise new album that can be downloaded for free on Bandcamp.

https://jeffrosenstock.bandcamp.com/

Ah, was hoping someone would start the new thread to post this. Another killer record from Jeff. Really, really liking his new record. Don't think it's as good as his last, but that was my favourite record of 2016, to be fair. This is very much a surprise, because I saw Jeff live towards the end of 2017 and he didn't play any of the songs from this new album.

Ripper of a record to kick off the year. Early favourites are USA, TV Stars, 9/10 and Let Them Win. The intro to USA kind of reminds me of the hook to Suffer off Smith Street Band's last album - which he produced. Anyway, he just keeps on keeping on. Feel as if he's slowly starting to get the recognition he deserves, but how many bloody good albums has he put out/been involved in now? Would be very difficult to find a punk musician with a greater quantity of quality than Jeff this century.

Any albums coming out soon that you guys would suggest keeping an eye out for? Hanging for some new stuff to listen to. The worst part of the Xmas/New Year period is the lack of new music

Any albums coming out soon that you guys would suggest keeping an eye out for? Hanging for some new stuff to listen to. The worst part of the Xmas/New Year period is the lack of new music

Montero's 'Performer' sounds promising. Coming out early February:

I read Vacations have a new album coming out. Not sure if it's an LP or EP though. Single for it is very catchy:

Mentioned it a bit in last year's thread, but I'm also looking forward to the new Ought record which is also out in February:

Trying to stay more up-to-date with Australian releases on Bandcamp too.

Cracking punk tune:

Neat split cassette. Both sides are good, but I'm really digging the two Leavings tunes.

This is pretty good, but more so impressive. All the instruments are played, and all the mixing, mastering and production is done by one 16 year-old:

Last edited:

Also forgot to mention Totally Mild. Looking forward to their new record. Lucky Stars is a gem of a tune. Strikingly beautiful:

katana

Club Legend
Jul 12, 2013
Northcote
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs
Laneway removes Kirin J Callinan from a line-up that boasts Mac DeMarco as one of the headline acts. How courageous. :rolleyes:
fill me in? a) why was kirin removed? b) why would mac demarco be in any way 'controversial' which you seem to be suggesting he is?

also what's the point of that band viet cong changing their name when people just reference the old name anyway? it's like that bullshit with chet faker changing his name to nick murphy, but in effect changing his name to 'nick murphy fka chet faker'.

fill me in? a) why was kirin removed? b) why would mac demarco be in any way 'controversial' which you seem to be suggesting he is?

A) http://junkee.com/miss-blanks-kirin-j-callinan-laneway/143395
Seems to be the ARIAs incident. Miss Blanks, who put in the official complaint, also described him faking an epileptic fit on-stage in 2013 as being "ableist". It's not, it's just not a very funny joke. She also called him racist for a blackface incident that was not actually blackface at all (he covered himself in bronze in what appeared to be a clear pastiche of a bodybuilder). The irony of the blackface incident is that it's actually more racist to insinuate that Kirin covering himself in bronze is blackface than his actions were in the first place.

B) http://archive.is/iURtf
Mac DeMarco filmed his mate masturbating at a party in a room full of minors. That is, in my eyes, A LOT worse than anything Kirin has ever done. Whole incident seemed to be largely swept under the rug.

also what's the point of that band viet cong changing their name when people just reference the old name anyway? it's like that bullshit with chet faker changing his name to nick murphy, but in effect changing his name to 'nick murphy fka chet faker'.

Agree re: Viet Cong. More bullshit from marginal left voices. As someone that is quite left-leaning, I'm always quite amused when leftist voices complain about the same things that conservatives would have complained about two decades ago.

Mar 26, 2008
Fight Club
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
76ers, Storm, Broad St.
Yeah, that Callinan stuff seems a bit of an ott reaction, though maybe idk cut it out with the dicks and minors stuff.

Think I'm being dragged to Kirin and Mac at the Forum in a couple of weeks too. Fair to say that'll be an interesting one, though I am actually interested in hearing Kirin play.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
I once saw Kirin J Callinan at the Northcote Social Club pre-reno. Was incredibly self-aggrandising. I've always found his music to exist as a 'wow this is wacky!' base to promote his 'ha ha, he's dressed up like a chick!' videos and kooky interviews. He is nowhere near as funny or unique as he thinks he is as it's basically a step away from dick jokes... actually not even, they basically all are dick jokes. Another example of the world thinking being funny is the same as trying to be funny.

I also smoked synthetic marijuana that night and had fun for about three minutes before sitting in my bed in the dark with a cocaine heart rate sweating bullets thinking I was going to die. Pretty slacker bro.

Back