2018 Music

Remove this Banner Ad

I’ve got a feeling that Feel The Love from Kids See Ghosts will age really, really badly. I’m mainly talking about the Kanye brapping part. I don’t hate the song, it’s a bit of fun, but a few years won’t be kind to it.
Not sure I agree with this. I think it's where hip hop music is going.

It's very trap-inspired and trap was very Memphis-inspired. Listening to old school Memphis stuff like N.O.D., Tommy Wright III, La Chat etc, it really doesn't seem that out-of-place, outside of the production, of course.

Surprised KIDS SEE GHOST has received such a mediocre response here in general. Why aren't people enjoying it? The production is fantastic, Ye's verses are some of his best in years, Cudi does a surprisingly good job, and it has a focused, coherent, and interesting sound. Wouldn't give it a 10 like The Needle Drop did, but it's a very strong project.
Yeah, honestly I'd rather listen to Scorpion than most of that Wyoming stuff (which is saying something). The Nas was nadir-esque as well. Predictably so, Kanye is done.
Lol. Regardless of your personal opinion of him, this couldn't be much further off the mark.
KurPUbK.png

The GOOD Music month was arguably one of the best things to happen in years (3 critically acclaimed albums in 3 weeks - 2 of which are album of the year contenders) even if the wheels sort of fell off after KSG. Plus, sounds like Kanye may be producing the new Chance project. If anything, I would suggest that 2018 has proven to be somewhat of a revival for Kanye that his downfall.

That being said, bit of a shame the Teyana Taylor album came after Nas. KTSE wasn't that bad, but my interest had sort of waned after the trainwreck that was Nasir.

I think my top 10 for the year would be (in no order):
Gurrumul
Tropical * Storm
KIDS SEE GHOSTS
Pusha T
Melody's Echo Chamber
Frank Ocean
Donny Benet
Death Grips
Sons of Kemet
FLOWERTRUCK

Too many honourable mentions to list. I have so much non-Australian stuff to catch up on though.

Last edited:

Jun 29, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs
My top ten so far in no particular order.

Dabrye
Janelle Monae
Space Invadas
Jon Hopkins
Dj Koze
Scallops Hotel
Nightmares on Wax
Mad Ben
Project Pablo - There’s always more at the store ep
Czarface & MF Doom

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
1. NTS Sessions 1-4
2. Dirty Computer
3. LoveLaws
4. TBH+C
5. Tell Me How You Really Feel
(my best ones so far)

June/July have been quieter for me after legendary April/May, spent time with things like the Autechre bootlegs from Melb/Hobart/Dublin and the One Kiss (remixes) EP, and I have Anna Calvi's long-awaited return at the end of August to look forward to.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
Curious to see what everyone would list as favourite albums for the year now that we're almost at the halfway point?

Sam Evian - You, Forever
Aether - V
S.Carey - Hundred Acres
Milk Carton Kids - All the Things...
Rolling Blackouts - Hope Downs
Marlon Williams - Make Way for Love
Weedpecker - III
Paper Kites - On the Train Ride Home

Vowels

Rookie
Jul 28, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
I think my top 10 for the year would be (in no order):
Gurrumul
Tropical **** Storm
KIDS SEE GHOSTS
Pusha T
Melody's Echo Chamber
Frank Ocean
Donny Benet
Death Grips
Sons of Kemet
FLOWERTRUCK

Too many honourable mentions to list. I have so much non-Australian stuff to catch up on though.
As much as I like the latest Gurrumul album (very much), I still prefer his stripped back style that was more prominent on the debut album.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As much as I like the latest Gurrumul album (very much), I still prefer his stripped back style that was more prominent on the debut album.
Fair enough. I think his stripped back stuff is superb too, but think the new record does a fantastic job of offering spellbinding and atmospheric compositions without detracting from his vocals - it's the best of both worlds for me. That being said, I completely understand why someone would prefer the stripped back style.

Pretty late to the party but Shame's Songs of Praise is excellent. Think I tried it the week of release and it didn't stick, but I've got the hooks in now.
Huh, forgot all about the album. Very solid. Don't think it'll be in my favourites of the year, but there's some very strong material on there. One Rizla and Angie were the two standouts for me, but I'll have to revisit it.

They're also pretty impressive live despite being literally the least believable rock band I've ever seen.

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
My NTS Sessions 1-4 physical box set arrived today (after April preorder + digital), so frig'n lush, hope my neighbors are liking it :D

Last edited:
I thought Gurrumul had my album of the year wrapped-up, but after a couple of weeks with this new IDLES record, I honestly think it may be one of the best punk albums of all time. Wowee.

Lums23

Club Legend
Jun 16, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Manchester United
The new album from Devon Welsh is tremendous. It's not a massive step away from his work with Majical Cloudz, but a larger variety of instruments and tempo than gives it a breath of fresh air. Would go and see him in a heartbeat if he ventures to Australia
Slides straight into my top three albums of the year, with Beach House and Tropical * Storm.

The new album from Devon Welsh is tremendous. It's not a massive step away from his work with Majical Cloudz, but a larger variety of instruments and tempo than gives it a breath of fresh air. Would go and see him in a heartbeat if he ventures to Australia
Slides straight into my top three albums of the year, with Beach House and Tropical **** Storm.
I have to hear it again, but I thought it was solid.

One issue I have is the instrumentals at times can be a bit underwhelming at times. By The Daylight for example - the violins at the start were stunning, but then I thought instrumentally the rest of the track was a bit average. His vocals though, wowee.

Very captivating performer too. Caight Majical Cloudz at Laneway 2016 and they blew my mind.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back