2018 Music

Remove this Banner Ad

s**t :(

In a genre which tends to sound a bit samey, I've always thought Ocean Party carved out a sound that was very much their sound. The two songs Zac wrote on the new album are fantastic, maybe the best two songs on there. Ciggie Witch is also a really neat band too; quite liked their last album.

This made me pretty sad. Looking back, this was a young man struggling to navigate his own life in this world. He had the normal angst being without meaning, not sure of his fellow human... I used to see him and his brother around all the Melbourne haunts, playing or otherwise. We used to make good-hearted jokes about how he was the youngest, goofiest looking of the group.

I used to love the Ocean Party. I'm over it now but they were a nice band to see as a young person. Quarter Life Crisis and Split are my favourites.

New Muse is ******* horrible, but new Prodigy is ******* awesome.
New Muse is ******* weird. I’ve only listened to it once but my initial thought was it sounded much like the couple of albums before Drones, which were their weakest. Check the reviews and they are largely positive, praising their fun, new direction. Will have to listen once more, at least.

Anyone into the new The Good, The Bad & The Queen album?

Probably less unique feeling than the debut and the minimised emphasis on production, feel, and time period isn't really what I was after but the songwriting is great. Some of Albarn's best songwriting in years. And plenty saying it's his most solid, front to back album since Demon Days. Lady Boston, Drifters & Trawlers, Ribbons are all some typical mid-pace melancholia from Damon but The Poison Tree is beautiful... unreal. His most beautiful song since Heavy Seas Of Love.

Another interesting one:

Wovoka Gentle - 1,000 Opera Singers Working in Starbucks

I was kinda disappointed by this track. All Exterior Dark is one of the best songs of 2016 and They Come Mostly At Night Mostly was pretty good last year, but this just isn't as interesting to me. Not sure what it is but kinda seems like they're trying to do too much?

Saw Tropical * Storm opening for King Gizz last night.

Bloody hell. One of my favourite albums of the year and had the live show to back it up. Awesome. If you've not listened to their album yet, DO IT. If you get the chance to see them live, DO IT.

Saw Tropical **** Storm opening for King Gizz last night.

Bloody hell. One of my favourite albums of the year and had the live show to back it up. Awesome. If you've not listened to their album yet, DO IT. If you get the chance to see them live, DO IT.
I decided to get tickets to Gizzfest, mainly to see TFS. Should be great day.

What the crowd like? I’ve seen The Drones once before and the crowd were dull as. Also did they played any other stuff? Or just the for their album?

Saw Tropical **** Storm opening for King Gizz last night.

Easily Australian AOTY if not for Gurrumul. Top 10 AOTY regardless.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can I just say that Angie McMahon is one of the hottest brabes in Aussie music today

She's one of the saviours of modern day rock and roll. JJJ has been an absolute s**t fest with low-fi bleep bloop ruling the airwaves for the last 5 years but we are now seeing a new emergence of actual great song writers coming back now.

Thank * for that

It has been a decent year for local music, still loving Courtney Barnett's latest as well.

However my top Australian pick is easily S/T - Rings Around Saturn.

S/T might end up challenging Flying Microtonal Banana & Wildflower as my fave Australian album of the decade. The best non-vocal electronic album to ever come out of this country.

Can I just say that Angie McMahon is one of the hottest brabes in Aussie music today

She's one of the saviours of modern day rock and roll. JJJ has been an absolute s**t fest with low-fi bleep bloop ruling the airwaves for the last 5 years but we are now seeing a new emergence of actual great song writers coming back now.

Thank **** for that
Not that I hear. I hear a few good things here and there, but IMO JJJ for the most is taking the piss. They just play talentless garbled rubbish that sounds like it was made in a bedroom by someone with 200$ of gear and more importantly no idea whatsoever.
Not all, but alot of it.

Tash Sultana goes alright, can really play..
Hand like Houses..
Who does that song "Amsterdam", I think it is? That is excellent!
Many others I dont know the names of right now...

But Jesus Christ JJJ, get some standards. Just because some s**t is made, dosent necessarily mean you should play it.

Last edited:
I decided to get tickets to Gizzfest, mainly to see TFS. Should be great day.

What the crowd like? I’ve seen The Drones once before and the crowd were dull as. Also did they played any other stuff? Or just the for their album?
Crowd was getting into it. Felt like there a was a vibe in the room that King Gizz didn't really have. But that may have just been me imagining things...

I think they played for about an hour, so they mixed a few non-album tracks in there.

Kylie's singles from Golden were surprisingly good. Raining Glitter is a genuine banger, Music is Sad Without You very nice, and the title-track an adequate opening single. Wasn't expecting that based on how deep she is into her career and the middling reception of the album.

Kylie's singles from Golden were surprisingly good. Raining Glitter is a genuine banger, Music is Sad Without You very nice, and the title-track an adequate opening single. Wasn't expecting that based on how deep she is into her career and the middling reception of the album.
Yeah I heard a few of the singles in passing and really dug them. My old work had a manager who’d play terrible Spotify playlists, but every so often that one with ‘when I go out I wanna go out dancin’ would come on. And High Horse by Kacey Musgraves. I used to look forward to those discoy sounds when I’d be pushing boxes up stairs.

Apparently her next sound is disco. Feel like Golden was country-disco. Who needs plain old disco after that?

Yeah I stupidly took this on face value as her "country album", but it's definitely more winsomely along the Musgraves lines of lush country pop meshed with Kylie's typical dance.

Funnily enough, both albums were released a week apart, seemingly a sweet spot sound which 2018 will be remembered fondly for.

I admire how these 20th century pop stars are still turning out some good product. Robyn's Honey is already my favourite album ever, and I have a lot of affection for Madonna's MDNA. It feels like Kylie and Madonna have been written off for a while now by the public at large, but that sort of dance pop nous is liable to click beautifully from time to time.

Foals have made lots of bad songs. Basically all of Holy Fire and What Went Down.

Amazing how they had a pretty fresh sound ten years ago and were experimenting with stuff like A Song For You, Gold Gold Gold, A Sketch for ESG and all those interesting b-sides and now they’re playing utensil rock guitar music with ‘anthemic’ choruses. It’s so bland and just lame. Doing it once was bad enough but the fact they’ve stayed in one direction, let alone a crappy one like this, is pretty disappointing.

I used to be a big fan and in five years I’ve just cut them off basically.

It’s an unpopular opinion but there you go.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back