List Mgmt. 2018 NAB AFL Draft: November 22nd & 23rd

Who would you prefer with our first selection?

• Max King

Votes: 91 38.1%
  • Bailey Smith

Votes: 47 19.7%
  • Connor Rozee

Votes: 17 7.1%
  • Jye Caldwell

Votes: 37 15.5%
  • Unknown Smokey?

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • Jack Lukosious

Votes: 12 5.0%
  • Isak Rankine

Votes: 72 30.1%
  • Ben King

Votes: 7 2.9%
  • Sam Walsh

Votes: 13 5.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Biggest thing I took from this article is that Max was born a full minute, yes, 60 seconds before Ben. Determination. Speed. Power. Simply Elite. A competitive beast.

Biggest thing I took from the article was max being a full minute older has probably already reached his ceiling and will not improve from here. Ben a lot more potential..

My final thoughts before tomorrow night's draft...

From everyone I've spoken to we are leaning towards King, with Rozee a close second.

Personally I want Rozee. We have too many at King's position. Rozee is a utility that can be played anywhere and would be able to fill many holes in our list.

Don't get me wrong, I think both are going to be superstars, and if we went ahead with King I wouldn't be devastated. He will be a very special player.

I wonder what guys like Paddy McCartin think of this move. Out of contract at the end of 2020 and with a career defining season ahead of him, I would be surprised if Paddy doesn't take offense to us drafting King. Direct threat to his position, and it must be said if we do take King surely the whispers behind closed doors are that we don't think Paddy will ever come on like he should've.

It could however be the catalyst for McCartin resurrecting his spot in the senior side and more broadly his career in general, as another poor year with injury or inconsistency could see him really struggle to ever make it at senior level.

I did watch some of King's highlights. Noted it is of course only highlights, but from what I saw there is still a lot of work left to do before King has the body capable of playing senior level football. Looks to be a horrible set shot for goal too, not sure if those videos I watched of him were just bad days, but he missed almost every set shot he took. So in my eyes he is definitely still a work in progress and will take longer to become consistent. Do we spend another few years developing his game? Will it pay off in the end? How long must we bide our time?

As for Rozee...he looks every bit of a senior AFL footballer already and if selected would most likely walk straight into our side for Round 1. I really don't have a knock on him. He is a SA boy so there is go-home factor there but I don't think it's too worrying at all, from SA to VIC isn't that big of a jump compared to say SA to WA or VIC to QLD.

Whatever happens I know we will be bringing in a future superstar of the competition. Top end of this years draft is extremely strong, so pick four is a great card to hold heading into draft night.

I think Max King is odds on to be picked up by us but I can't help worrying about our midfield stocks. Our best two mids next year will be Stuv and Hanners and by the time we're ready to challenge again they'll be 30ish. If we go with Max this year that means none of our top end picks in recent years will have been mids. McCartin, Billings and King. Even Clark and Coffield aren't genuine mids at this stage. When you factor in Rooey and Kosi we just don't seem to go with the gun mids at the draft when we get chance.

Yet we all whinge about our lack of polish and class in the midfield every year. I'm happy for us to take the punt on King but can see us moaning again when we keep getting towelled up in the clearances and have to watch poor quality delivery to our forward targets.

From the AFL site,this just in.

Draft Shock : Saints to Spring a Surprise

St.Kilda has shocked the football world by announcing it's decision to draft unknown player Brains Trust66 with Pick 4 tomorrow. Chris Liberatore said that the team had decided not to pick the best player available this time as in the past that hasn't always worked out for the Saints. While he knows the decision may be not well received he says that at least Brains Trust66 will be happy. Critics of the decision have already pointed out that Brains is 54 with a crook back. Richo has stated he is happy with the decision and has full confidence that the medical team will get Brains right for round one next season.

Go Saints

My final thoughts before tomorrow night's draft...

From everyone I've spoken to we are leaning towards King, with Rozee a close second.

Personally I want Rozee. We have too many at King's position. Rozee is a utility that can be played anywhere and would be able to fill many holes in our list.

Don't get me wrong, I think both are going to be superstars, and if we went ahead with King I wouldn't be devastated. He will be a very special player.

I wonder what guys like Paddy McCartin think of this move. Out of contract at the end of 2020 and with a career defining season ahead of him, I would be surprised if Paddy doesn't take offense to us drafting King. Direct threat to his position, and it must be said if we do take King surely the whispers behind closed doors are that we don't think Paddy will ever come on like he should've.

It could however be the catalyst for McCartin resurrecting his spot in the senior side and more broadly his career in general, as another poor year with injury or inconsistency could see him really struggle to ever make it at senior level.

I did watch some of King's highlights. Noted it is of course only highlights, but from what I saw there is still a lot of work left to do before King has the body capable of playing senior level football. Looks to be a horrible set shot for goal too, not sure if those videos I watched of him were just bad days, but he missed almost every set shot he took. So in my eyes he is definitely still a work in progress and will take longer to become consistent. Do we spend another few years developing his game? Will it pay off in the end? How long must we bide our time?

As for Rozee...he looks every bit of a senior AFL footballer already and if selected would most likely walk straight into our side for Round 1. I really don't have a knock on him. He is a SA boy so there is go-home factor there but I don't think it's too worrying at all, from SA to VIC isn't that big of a jump compared to say SA to WA or VIC to QLD.

Whatever happens I know we will be bringing in a future superstar of the competition. Top end of this years draft is extremely strong, so pick four is a great card to hold heading into draft night.
In all honesty I won’t be disappointed who we bring in. Pick 4, with the possibilities, they’re going to be elite and help the build to a better place.

In all honesty I won’t be disappointed who we bring in. Pick 4, with the possibilities, they’re going to be elite and help the build to a better place.
Agreed mate. Like I said, if we bring in Max, I would be over the moon too.

From the AFL site,this just in.

Draft Shock : Saints to Spring a Surprise

St.Kilda has shocked the football world by announcing it's decision to draft unknown player Brains Trust66 with Pick 4 tomorrow. Chris Liberatore said that the team had decided not to pick the best player available this time as in the past that hasn't always worked out for the Saints. While he knows the decision may be not well received he says that at least Brains Trust66 will be happy. Critics of the decision have already pointed out that Brains is 54 with a crook back. Richo has stated he is happy with the decision and has full confidence that the medical team will get Brains right for round one next season.

Go Saints
gun I've been told

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Peter Hudson fixed Stewie's kicking. Prior to that it was diabolical. If Stewie's could improve that much, anyone's can improve with the appropriate coaching and dedication.

...but, but, Ben Dixon :eek:

Twomeys late mail still has us taking king and article mentions us looking at marlion Pickett and Matthew Parker with later picks
I haven't heard that we are into Parker as well. Essendon are very keen on him , but we would have to worry about Geelong too with Tim Kelly lobbying for the pair. Don't have to worry about Gold Coast with Marlion due to the picks they currently have , unless they do a pick swap. Sydney have also spoken to a few at South , and Port like Spooner as well.

Agreed mate. Like I said, if we bring in Max, I would be over the moon too.

Not sure Paddy would be overly worried about King at this stage. He has two or three years to cement himself in the team before King hopefully becomes a regular. By the time King is a regular part of the 22 we’ll know exactly where we stand with Paddy, and with King possibly being able to chop out in the ruck, and Paddy possibly playing more CHF there could definitely be room for both.

Then of course there’s still Membrey and Battle....

likewise happy with max king or Rozee. One consideration needs to be the pull factor of Ben joining his brother in a few years time at the saints if we take max. They would be mad not to be taking that into account when weighing up options.

Really hope that we pick Max King tomorrow, if as expected the top 3 are Walsh, Lukosius and Rankine. I know that our midfield is currently our most glaring weakness and the temptation is to bolster this area. However how often does a KPF come along who is 200 cm+ who is a great mark and quite agile below the knees.

We probably won't see the best of King for roughly 3-4 years but you have to ask yourself how often does a midfielder come into the comp and become a superstar of the competition in his first year? Selwood is a very rare exception while Oliver and Bontempelli took 2-3 years to become superstars. NO guarantees that Smith, Caldwell or Rozee become match winners immediately.

King has the potential to really strengthen our forward structure. Could free up Paddy and Membrey and give us a strong three pronged forward line. When King comes good after a few years, Bruce will be around the 30 mark.

Another plus is that if the suns pick up Ben King, we could be in the box seat to lure him back to Melbourne. Future 2nd round special.

Not sure Paddy would be overly worried about King at this stage. He has two or three years to cement himself in the team before King hopefully becomes a regular. By the time King is a regular part of the 22 we’ll know exactly where we stand with Paddy, and with King possibly being able to chop out in the ruck, and Paddy possibly playing more CHF there could definitely be room for both.

Then of course there’s still Membrey and Battle....

...and Bruce and Roma!

Yep, forgot Roma, o_O but Brucey will be getting on a bit in about three years wouldn’t he?
In 3 years he'll be 29yo, but I don't see Max necessarily taking that long to cement himself in the team and Bruce is the fit type that could play well for a few years yet if he's playing well enough.

Even if we don't take King there would be a fair chance that one of the other 5 at a minimum will be traded in the next year or two, as at least 4 of them look likely to be AFL standard and there may only be 3 spots available.

If we draft King you'd think we'd start to develop Roma more for the ruck and that we'd start experimenting with one or two of them down back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back