List Mgmt. 2018 NAB AFL Draft: November 22nd & 23rd

Who would you prefer with our first selection?

• Max King

Votes: 91 38.1%
  • Bailey Smith

Votes: 47 19.7%
  • Connor Rozee

Votes: 17 7.1%
  • Jye Caldwell

Votes: 37 15.5%
  • Unknown Smokey?

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • Jack Lukosious

Votes: 12 5.0%
  • Isak Rankine

Votes: 72 30.1%
  • Ben King

Votes: 7 2.9%
  • Sam Walsh

Votes: 13 5.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

what I expect in the draft
Walsh - Carlton
JL - Suns
M.King - Suns
Rankine - Port
Rozee - Saints

We trade pick 4 for 5 and also get pick 12 or 18

I see the Suns taking the best 2 talls and going for Smith or Caldwall at 6

If M.King falls to us we take him

I’m a little concerned about this Rozee talk.. if we pass on on Max then I want a genuine ball magnet, contested beast midfielder. Rozee seems like a great athlete but will he ever develop into a pure mid?
I would think that there would have to be a fair bit of concern that he doesn't win enough of his own ball to ever play much in the middle at AFL level, so that's a concern of mine, if we're going to be overlooking a King and also the "genuine mids" for him, but perhaps he's played plenty of successful footy on the inside in previous years.

You'd think if he had he would have spent more time there at some level this year, but maybe he would have in the champs had he not been injured.

If he does have plenty of inside runs on the board in previous years then I'd be way more happy with the idea of spending pick 4 in a super-looking top end on him, but if he doesn't, I don't love the idea anywhere near as much.

Especially if it turns out that his best position is the HBF, where he played his best footy this year.

Fair chance that will be Coffield's best position, and if we spent picks 8 and 4 on two "HBFers", after spending pick 3 on Billings, who plays mainly HFF, that would not exactly be what I would consider ideal use of very valuable top 8 picks in a rebuild.

I would think that there would have to be a fair bit of concern that he doesn't win enough of his own ball to ever play much in the middle at AFL level, so that's a concern of mine, if we're going to be overlooking a King and also the "genuine mids" for him, but perhaps he's played plenty of successful footy on the inside in previous years.

You'd think if he had he would have spent more time there at some level this year, but maybe he would have in the champs had he not been injured.

If he does have plenty of inside runs on the board in previous years then I'd be way more happy with the idea of spending pick 4 in a super-looking top end on him, but if he doesn't, I don't love the idea anywhere near as much.

Especially if it turns out that his best position is the HBF, where he played his best footy this year.

Fair chance that will be Coffield's best position, and if we spent picks 8 and 4 on two "HBFers", after spending pick 3 on Billings, who plays mainly HFF, that would not exactly be what I would consider ideal use of very valuable top 8 picks in a rebuild.
I think you're identifying why we will take king. Rozee reminds me of a young Dylan Roberton a bit when he was first drafted. Bit like lever, kolo.

Having said that people weren't keen on the bont over billings because he played a lot off the flanks.

Speaking of Rozee, I've seen plenty liken him to Shaun Higgins, but that has never really sat well with me, as Higgins this year in particular has really proved that he has a good inside game (averaging 10.5 CP's and 5 clearances per game) and while quick, seems to have shorter and sharper steps, while Rozee seems more of a "racehorse", who can really eat up the ground even quicker, with longer strides, and I've been trying to think of a comparison for Rozee that feels more accurate, and tonight it hit me.

Someone who played with Higgins at WB, going by the name of Bob.

Like Rozee, he could play forward (even used to effectively play CHF, as he was so good overhead), wing, or of course down back, he's a similar height, could really cover the ground in a hurry, and was a seriously good kick of the footy.

I think there's an awful lot of Murph in Rozee. And he'd probably need to be just as good for us to pick him with a pick this high in such a good draft.

Ask yourself do you think McCartin and Bruce are going to have big years next year or in 2020 and beyond?...or will it be deja vu.

I cant see it happening tbh. Both guys were dropped this year to VFL for poor form and both injured. Hardly the making of a Kennedy/Darling combo from what ive seen. Granted the delivery coming in hasnt been pretty at times. I hope Paddy shines i really do but it looks less and less likely each year.

We wont see another player like Max King fall in our laps like this for a long time. People talk about some recent top end talls taken that havent worked out like Vickery, McCartin, Watts, Patton, Schache, Butcher....same can be said for midfielders at the top end like Toumpas #4, Trengove #2, O'Rourke #2, Tambling #4, Freeman #10....s**t happens. So that argument is flawed.

BUT!!!...I think Rozee is a weapon and could be a special player I can see why we have interviewed him a couple times recently tracking him closely. He ticks so many boxes. Best midfielder under 16s, showed he is versatile in under 18s playing other areas. Dominated against men in the SANFL. Elite speed. Good kick. Great over head. Healthy athlete.

Ill be happy either way Rozee or King. King has a slight edge because of our spud forward line. We took Clark #7 and Coff #8 for our midfield last year and we really havent see any effect of that yet but it will come so that was a bonus getting Coff and next year we will take a Mid the way its looking at the top end. And i just dont see any Max Kings on the horizon after tomorrow night.

Nek minut.....St Kilda select Bailey Smith pick #4

Ask yourself do you think McCartin and Bruce are going to have big years next year or in 2020 and beyond?...or will it be deja vu.

I cant see it happening tbh. Both guys were dropped this year to VFL for poor form and both injured. Hardly the making of a Kennedy/Darling combo from what ive seen. Granted the delivery coming in hasnt been pretty at times. I hope Paddy shines i really do but it looks less and less likely each year.

We wont see another player like Max King fall in our laps like this for a long time. People talk about some recent top end talls taken that havent worked out like Vickery, McCartin, Watts, Patton, Schache, Butcher....same can be said for midfielders at the top end like Toumpas #4, Trengove #2, O'Rourke #2, Tambling #4, Freeman #10....s**t happens. So that argument is flawed.

BUT!!!...I think Rozee is a weapon and could be a special player I can see why we have interviewed him a couple times recently tracking him closely. He ticks so many boxes. Best midfielder under 16s, showed he is versatile in under 18s playing other areas. Dominated against men in the SANFL. Elite speed. Good kick. Great over head. Healthy athlete.

Ill be happy either way Rozee or King. King has a slight edge because of our spud forward line. We took Clark #7 and Coff #8 for our midfield last year and we really havent see any effect of that yet but it will come so that was a bonus getting Coff and next year we will take a Mid the way its looking at the top end. And i just dont see any Max Kings on the horizon after tomorrow night.

Nek minut.....St Kilda select Bailey Smith pick #4
I think you are spot on. I think we've been very lucky with how the king situation has played out.

Thinking about mclures comments where lethers is keen on king but libba wants rozee. Is it possible the club is protecting libba somewhat from any public pressure here if we do take king. I mean the narrative if king succumbs to injury will be why did we use pick 4 on a player who played barely any footy this year due to injury after the risk we took on paddy. By stating lethers was keen it protects libba somewhat in his first year as the face of our drafting. It also means we are playing a poker face going into the draft. Keeps port on the toes whilst minimising potential interest from gold coast on max if they plan on taking ben.

Max coming out stating he's keen on the saints helps minimise gold coast jumping the gun.

I think we are locked on max with the very real possibility ben is playing for us too in 2020. Ben being seen as the eventual Carlisle replacement. He will of course come cheaper too. So by taking max at 4 you get the discount on ben too.

Rozee I think is a smoke screen. Smith cadwell completely out of the equation.

Watching Ben Brown at times last year had me very envious. He was virtually unstoppable in some games. It was either marking at full stretch, or getting a free kick. Bonus for them was he kicks it pretty straight. Quite a weapon. Can see the attraction of Max King. Just need him to kick straight.

When it comes to who we should draft i look at it like this, Sport is like theater and i want an exciting story. Picking Rozee or Smith is the safe option but with King we get the Romance of a kid playing for his childhood team, Drama of brothers torn apart possibly one day being reunited, the Comedy of people comparing it to the Paddy pic all wrapped up in Suspense as we watch him develop into either our hero or villain.
tenor.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stewie got better though, didn't he? A credit to him. Lots of players don't really improve. Mind you he couldn't have gotten much worse, lol.
Absolutely. One of my favourite players of all time. I saw him debut. Ran around like a headless chuck but you could see the enthusiasm and determination to succeed. Best mark of a football I’ve seen (sorry roo). By the end of his career he had become a reliable kick on goal which was a real credit to him.

Draft day bitches!

Hope you're excited about who we get, whether they're the one you're most hoping for or not.
I’m very relaxed about it at this stage, things seem to be fairly set and our choice seems clear.

Fast forward to tonight and the first three don’t drop as expected or someone makes a late run at our pick and all bets are off.

Whomever we select, I hope there is not too much angst and we give the kid a go.

It is not their fault we didn't pick someone else.

Personally want mids but will be disappointed if we don't select King.
Go figure.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

I’m a little concerned about this Rozee talk.. if we pass on on Max then I want a genuine ball magnet, contested beast midfielder. Rozee seems like a great athlete but will he ever develop into a pure mid?

Hopefully we dont trade it, I cant see the point Ilin trying to trade it for 6 and a late 20s pick, as suggested in the press.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back