List Mgmt. 2018 NAB AFL Draft: November 22nd & 23rd

Who would you prefer with our first selection?

• Max King

Votes: 91 38.1%
  • Bailey Smith

Votes: 47 19.7%
  • Connor Rozee

Votes: 17 7.1%
  • Jye Caldwell

Votes: 37 15.5%
  • Unknown Smokey?

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • Jack Lukosious

Votes: 12 5.0%
  • Isak Rankine

Votes: 72 30.1%
  • Ben King

Votes: 7 2.9%
  • Sam Walsh

Votes: 13 5.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you want to see a freak-show of talent I suggest you wrap your eyes around this one then:

I had actually seen that video, I was having a bit of fun. They are obviously pretty ordinary editing jobs that don't show what the players are capable of. The guy I spoke to that coaches at North reckon Tarry Thomas is an absolute gun, looking at the video he doesn't look that special. Isak is meant to be a super freak talent.

He also said he reckoned that Jy Simpkin was going to be a pretty special player last year though and I'm not sure what happened with him.

I had actually seen that video, I was having a bit of fun. They are obviously pretty ordinary editing jobs that don't show what the players are capable of. The guy I spoke to that coaches at North reckon Tarry Thomas is an absolute gun, looking at the video he doesn't look that special. Isak is meant to be a super freak talent.

He also said he reckoned that Jy Simpkin was going to be a pretty special player last year though and I'm not sure what happened with him.
Well some of them are genuine "highlights packages", which only show the good stuff, while others are just packages which show basically everything they did in a particular game, so that you get to see them warts and all and assess them with more of the facts about how they went.

Simpkin is super-talented, but was coming off a broken leg or whatever, so lets wait to see how he goes this year and beyond.

He trained at Melbourne in the preseason of his draft year as part of the AIS program (like how Hunter trained with us for a week last preseason) and Paul Roos reckons he was going so well that had he been on Melbourne's list, he would have been in their upcoming round 1 team (at just 17yo or whatever), so that's a fair wrap for his talent!

I think he's a lot like a taller and thinner version of Gresh. The exact type that I reckon we could do with in a pretty big way in this year's draft, if we keep our first.

Watching the “warts and all” footage of Rankine is a little sobering. His freak plays are amazing, but his ball butchering is almost just as impressive. Some of his shots on goal would make Juicy Brucey breathe a sigh of relief.

That’s why this year will be interesting for him. If he’s determined to iron out his game and takes some of those horrible skill errors out of his game then he’d be a stand out for number 1.

Watching the “warts and all” footage of Rankine is a little sobering. His freak plays are amazing, but his ball butchering is almost just as impressive. Some of his shots on goal would make Juicy Brucey breathe a sigh of relief.

That’s why this year will be interesting for him. If he’s determined to iron out his game and takes some of those horrible skill errors out of his game then he’d be a stand out for number 1.

I think the wraps on Lukosious or what ever his name is are even more hyped though. Being a tall forward option might make him a bit more of a number 1 likely option but Isak looks likely top 3 any way.

Played limited TOG last year. Has been training with the midfielder this preseason. Elite sideways movement.

The Paul Roos comments that aussie mentioned:

@ 2:10

Played limited TOG last year. Has been training with the midfielder this preseason. Elite sideways movement.

The Paul Roos comments that aussie mentioned:

@ 2:10

Yeah, you guys should be excited, this guy reckon's he's as good a player as he's seen coming through and he's been at the Roo's a long time. I won't out him, he's a customer and I'm not sure he'd want me posting on stuff he has said in passing casually. He thought last year was going to be the start of a special career and I didn't hear anything much about him after that so assumed he wasn't quite as good as suggested. I'll keep my eye out for him this year then.

While you're here Mr Baker, what's the good oil on North's trade/FA strategy this year?

Will you be throwing blank cheque type offers to the likes of Lynch, and/or our man Rory, like you did Dusty and Kelly, or will you look to build through the draft for a year or two more and then go mega-hard at those types when you're really on the up again?

While you're here Mr Baker, what's the good oil on North's trade/FA strategy this year?

1) I have no mail for 2018 trading.

2) My take is that we have so many kids on the list that are going to be cycled through the seniors, that I doubt the club will look at trading strategies for 2018 until the back end of the season, after seeing how they perform. We'd basically be looking at midfielders though. 21 North players come out of contract in 2018. If Ahern, Jacobs and Wright can stay on the park, they will get contracts. Vickers - Willis, Neilsen, McDonald, Atley, Turner, Clarke and Garner are certainties. The 2 x first year players will very likely get a short extension (Narrier and Murphy). Waite and Thompson are the only possible retirees. This leaves 6 other players, 4 of whom have shown something at AFL/VFL level (Zurhaar, Mountford, J. Williams, Larkey), and 2 that have been injured (Watson and Junker). 2-3 are definitely going to get delisted to make way for the 2018 draft. This leaves a lot of assessing to be done.

3) If we are going to trade, then it would only be RFA's & FA's as I can't see us parting with picks considering Thomas and the F/S's are on our radar.

Will you be throwing blank cheque type offers to the likes of Lynch, and/or our man Rory, like you did Dusty and Kelly, or will you look to build through the draft for a year or two more and then go mega-hard at those types when you're really on the up again?

- Lynch? I can't see us even picking up the phone. We already have Brown and the money would be better spent on midfielders.
- Sloane? I can't see it considering he is 29 next year and we aren't expecting to challenge for another couple of years.

Gaff (26) and Dalhaus (26) would be better choices.

There's just too many things to unfold. I suspect we won't be trading big in 2018 and focusing on the draft.

What do you think the Saints strategies are going to be?

I think they should go hard at Lynch myself, otherwise, hit the draft again.
I can’t see us going hard at Lynch in my opinion. We have too many talla as it is. If we do - you’d suspect they’re more worried about McCartin than leading on.

We lack mature A-grade mids. If Sloane is gettable, we go after him and hard. We’d certainly be asking the questions on Gaff as well. It’s going to take a couple more years before the likes of Gresh, Billings, Acres & our draftees last year are mature enough to play full time mid.

I'd be amazed if we gave Lynch anything more than a passing glance, the price will be horrific and with this draft you don't want to be trading out of the first round, a price that would only be the starting point in negotiations.

Saints need to get back into the second round, who would we trade and who would get us that second round pick or picks?
Any mid level player that isn't getting a game in the firsts, or is getting a game but only just, any young player that thinks his opportunities are going to be limited because of whatever reason, any younger player that has issues outside of football or attitude problems, any young player from interstate with a carrot dangled. Or any combination of the above.

Who we need?
A replacement for Gilbert, he can't have to many years left in him, and that tallish utility role is hard to fill. We also a medium forward, we played Weller injured last year because other than Membrey we have no medium forwards, we tried going small, Long and Lonie, with horrible results and our talls were inadequate to purpose.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

WTF!

Let's tank.

He's incredibly impressive but they reckon the kid Walsh is an even better midfielder.

Check out the W.A. kid Hill as well:

I can’t see us going hard at Lynch in my opinion. We have too many talla as it is. If we do - you’d suspect they’re more worried about McCartin than leading on.

We lack mature A-grade mids. If Sloane is gettable, we go after him and hard. We’d certainly be asking the questions on Gaff as well. It’s going to take a couple more years before the likes of Gresh, Billings, Acres & our draftees last year are mature enough to play full time mid.

I can't quite put my finger on the Saints. When you look at them as a group they have serious young talent across the board, but as an outsider, there is something unconvincing about them. I think it's structural, and McCartin is probably the key. They're not getting enough out of Membrey and Bruce. Perhaps Riewoldts retirement will bring more out of them?

As above, and like with you guys, I'm not sure we'd even pick up the phone re Lynch, not unless Paddy gets another bad concussion and retires during the season, which we obviously hope won't happen.

Otherwise, with him hopefully really starting to come on, Bruce and Membrey there- and also Battle and Marshall coming through (we're hearing good things about them after their 2nd preseasons, and both were good enough for a debut last year), and even Hugh Goddard as another potentially legit option there, that's about the last position we need to spend up big on.

We're starting to get some serious depth in our midfield now too, but we still as things stand right now lack the real top end talent there (and in particular class, speed and skill/polish, from an attributes POV), so I can see us going after Sloane again in a big way (supposedly got super-close last time). Add him to Steven, Ross and the young ones coming through and we'd be cooking with gas and have a way deeper (and probably better) midfield than the one Rory made the GF in last season with Adelaide.

We apparently also had a go at Gaff this last trade period, so may very well do so again (although that may depend on how those we have who play or can play wings go/develop this year), and Daulhaus is another I could see us having a real go at, as he can play midfield and also rotate forward, and be dangerous there and also apply excellent pressure. He doesn't have the polish we need, but he is the type Richo would love to have in the team.

The other one who is due to come OOC who I could see us having a good go at if we miss out on Sloane and Gaff in particular is Aaron Hall, as I reckon the attributes and way he plays would generally really compliment the several slower grunt types we have, and he'd give us more speed and run. Wouldn't want to use or downgrade our first on him tho.

So our main priorities are likely to be that real top-end/elite midfield talent and also midfield speed/run and skill (we could also do with some genuine speed for the forwardline) and if we don't get that through trade/FA, we'll just continue to look to fill those needs through the draft (a Hill type would be ideal there, or of course a Rankine or Walsh!).

Last edited:
I think it's structural, and McCartin is probably the key. They're not getting enough out of Membrey and Bruce. Perhaps Riewoldts retirement will bring more out of them?
Yeah we're certainly hoping that Nick's retirement brings out the best in Bruce again in particular.

Had that breakout 50 goal year in 2015, but hasn't reached the same heights in the 2 years since.

We're hearing that he's done a lot more running this preseason in preparation for taking over Nick's role of running well up the ground and back, and he has a huge tank/workrate himself, so we look forward to seeing how he goes with that different role and how well it suits him.

Membrey was probably not quite as good last season as he was the year before (when he kicked 44 goals from 17 games), but it was more a structural thing that prevented him from getting as many easy goals as he did the year before (he really dined out on some of our easy wins that year), and teams probably played him a lot tighter.

He's still kicked 82 goals from his last 37 games though and has only just ticked over the 50 game mark, so I'm very confident he'll continue to go well. He looks in incredible nick at the mo. Just muscles on muscles and will be 24yo.

Paddy is a huge key though for sure. If he has a clear run at it for the next year or two he'll show/remind everyone why he went at pick 1 and we ought to be pushing right up the ladder largely off the back of that.

So the same as 2017 then?
A thoroughly enjoyable read in the Josh Kelly thread for anyone who wants a laugh with Snake taking centre stage.

Things shifted when Martin pulled out at the last minute.

I stand by my Kelly mail. Kelly will end up at North.

Do we have any extra picks, less picks or moved picks in the 2018 draft as part of previous trade deals? We lost our 2018 2nd rounder, but we got Adelaides 2018 4th rounder

Why is it supposed to be a superdraft, the general quality is better, the top 20 are amazing, or the quality runs deeper than normal? its considered a super draft due to the performance of the talent in it against this years crop. whilst the super draft label has been used way too early, what we do know is that if the 2018 draft talent was available to be selected in the 2017 draft, then the top 6 players would have all been from the 2018 draft. the younger talent just seemed to out perform the older talent this year. which tells us that either of the following is true:
1) the 2018 draft top end is really strong,
2) the 2017 draft top end was soft.

I just want to throw out there - and I am accused of being overly negative at times (I feel its more accurate to say 'pragmatic') - all of last season I was saying if we don't get Kelly, we should trade one of our 2017 picks for 2018 picks and defer to next season. It would give us another 11 months to go hard after targets coming out of contract, and worst-case gives us two picks in a 'Super draft'.

Instead we got picks 7 and 8 in a draft that could, based on the comparisons made to other draft classes, have been equivalant to later picks in other drafts. i.e. based on projections of the talent depth you're considered more likely to get an A-grade player at 12 this year than at 8 last year.
Its all projections and conjecture, and every draft will have busts in the top 10 and gems in the late 30s, but in terms of giving yourself the most likely chance to pick an elite player, I feel taking those picks to the 2017 draft was (or should have been) plan F with all the plans A-E being to move at least one of the picks in a deal.

We'd already pushed a first rounder back 12 months (by trading pick 10 in 2016 for the later picks that year and the pick that ended up being 7 in 2017, so I don't think it would have been ideal to push it or the other one back another 12 months, further delaying getting top-end talent into the club by another year.

Re having an extra 1st round pick for potential trades this year, we'll still have two first rounders that we'll be able to trade (our 2018 and 2019 ones) so that ought to be plenty. Most of our likely looking targets this year are eligible for FA, so may not even have to be traded for.

Finally, there may not have even been a club willing to trade their 2018 first for picks 7 or 8, so I wouldn't assume that we didn't enquire.

We'd already pushed a first rounder back 12 months (by trading pick 10 in 2016 for the later picks that year and the pick that ended up being 7 in 2017, so I don't think it would have been ideal to push it or the other one back another 12 months, further delaying getting top-end talent into the club by another year.

Re having an extra 1st round pick for potential trades this year, we'll still have two first rounders that we'll be able to trade (our 2018 and 2019 ones) so that ought to be plenty. Most of our likely looking targets this year are eligible for FA, so may not even have to be traded for.

Finally, there may not have even been a club willing to trade their 2018 first for picks 7 or 8, so I wouldn't assume that we didn't enquire.

The Saints will get a good player with pick 8-11 (I assume). Ben King, Hill, Rozee, Bytel etc are all predicted to go around here.

I expect Adelaide to make a hard run at a top 3 pick with their 2 or 3 (sloane)x 1st round picks.

The Saints will get a good player with pick 8-11 (I assume). Ben King, Hill, Rozee, Bytel etc are all predicted to go around here.

I expect Adelaide to make a hard run at a top 3 pick with their 2 or 3 (sloane)x 1st round picks.
Yeah I'm happy with Clark and Coffield (they both bring things we need, like varying degrees of speed, some excellent kicking, and both seem to really take the game on) and if we add a Hill/Rozee type with our first this year (if we don't trade it) then that will be potentially 3 more high quality additions to the talented young group we already have, which could help give us a sustained crack for years.

Add a "big fish"or two through FA over the next couple of years with the s**t-tonne of cap space we're likely to have and we could be seriously cooking with gas.

You guys could potentially set yourselves up for the future with a bumper crop this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back