Autopsy 2018 NAB AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

"Sydney had pick 25 and the Suns had pick 27.

"Gold Coast rung my manager to ask if the Swans were keen and he said they were, so that's when they made the deal to move up. That's how it got done."

I think the above from Jez Mclennen is good response to those posters (I can't be bothered finding the posts) who didn't think we'd have got intel on teams picks when we traded to pick up Young...
Tinks,
Forgive my humour, but when you go to the loo do you announce to your partner that you’re going to have a tinkle?

Tinks,
Forgive my humour, but when you go to the loo do you announce to your partner that you’re going to have a tinkle?
r1PS0J.gif

We could not have done that trade due to not having a 2019 2nd round pick.

Fake news.
It would have been the same as the Blues trade, so swapping round 1 picks from next year. So would have been ok.

Obviously Crows rate us above Blues.

Just watched the piece on the AFL site about 4 potential draftees. It shows the King brothers and Walsh excitement and nerves about
where they will end up going and Bytel´s dream that someone will take a chance on him. Happy for all of them but especially Jack.
Hope he gives himself every chance to succeed and does everything he can possibly do for the club. Welcome to the Saints Jack & Max.

Last edited:
It’s pathetic.

Was better in the "bubble".

EFA.

We are the worst at this kind of engagement. I asked the club on twitter about new numbers for a Christmas jumper gift and they responded with: "Nothing yet. We will let you know in time."

We are almost always the last club to announce new numbers and in the interim we are miles behind in getting good news out there.

Why not get a story on afl.com.au about Matthew Parker taking the same number 33 as his hero Cyril Rioli? Or how he will don the same #34 he wore while reviving his career in the WAFL? Or that he wants develop his game to to play all over the park like recently retired #19 Sam Gilbert.

Could drip feed stuff like this for days...

I know a lot of people have talked about Moneyball before, but I think this draft was the first time we actually had a bit of a moneyball strategy with our mature age picks.

I think we identified that we needed speed and pressure in they front half and we went out and picked up Parker and Young.

Similar to Moneyball, we identified the statistic of tackles in the forward half as an area lacking, so we directly recruited to fill that specific cog in the machine.

Not big name players but players that can do a specific job for the team.

I think recruiting these two guys also indicates that we really want to play Gresh more in the midfield. I think it will be up to him over the summer to build his tank, but if he can, it would change the dynamic of our midfield.

I know a lot of people have talked about Moneyball before, but I think this draft was the first time we actually had a bit of a moneyball strategy with our mature age picks.

I think we identified that we needed speed and pressure in they front half and we went out and picked up Parker and Young.

Similar to Moneyball, we identified the statistic of tackles in the forward half as an area lacking, so we directly recruited to fill that specific cog in the machine.

I think recruiting these two guys also indicates that we really want to play Gresh more in the midfield. I think it will be up to him over the summer to build his tank, but if he can, it would change the dynamic of our midfield.

I think they might have been backed into a bit of a corner and had to work their way out. We needed to symbolically cut a couple of players and as a young list we didn't want to cull promising youth and so had to lose Hickey and Mav, that meant we lost two mature heads and sent us right back down the age profile list. Bringing in players who could have scope to improve via the draft is a bit of a bet each way. Could find a diamond in the rough cheap like Geelong did with Kelly but don't need 4 years to see the results of the investment.

I would have probably tried to get some players in from other clubs like Taylor Duryea.

EFA.

We are the worst at this kind of engagement. I asked the club on twitter about new numbers for a Christmas jumper gift and they responded with: "Nothing yet. We will let you know in time."

We are almost always the last club to announce new numbers and in the interim we are miles behind in getting good news out there.

Why not get a story on afl.com.au about Matthew Parker taking the same number 33 as his hero Cyril Rioli? Or how he will don the same #34 he wore while reviving his career in the WAFL? Or that he wants develop his game to to play all over the park like recently retired #19 Sam Gilbert.

Could drip feed stuff like this for days...
As long as Matt doesn't end up kicking like Gilbo......

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep.

We were all screaming for elite kicking mids but the club took it from a different angle - Use Billings and Gresham as those elite mids and replace them in the forward line with a pack of fast, hungry (desperate?) junkyard dogs.

Yep.

We were all screaming for elite kicking mids but the club took it from a different angle - Use Billings and Gresham as those elite mids and replace them in the forward line with a pack of fast, hungry (desperate?) junkyard dogs.

That's very Richmond, have plenty of small forward pressure players who punish on the score board as well.

Libba’s reaction to Adelaide’s offer was like a big footy argument where a opposition supporter threw a trade suggestion on our board!

I liked Cho's reaction to David King saying he was under pressure. Maybe Cho has some kent in him afterall

Just watched the Saints/Blues draft videos. What sort of nuftie recruiting department has Stocker at pick 6 in this year's draft?! Did they perhaps forget to look interstate for players this year? Or was he the 6th best pure mid? Pffft

If I was in the Saints box I would've been trying the exact same moves as we did for the exact same players.

I still don't like losing though so it sucks to see us miss out on what we wanted to do and seeing Carlscum 'succeed'.

Having said that, the trades didn't get done because clubs see us as a threat to finish higher on the ladder so that can only be taken as a positive.

Just watched the Saints/Blues draft videos. What sort of nuftie recruiting department has Stocker at pick 6 in this year's draft?! Did they perhaps forget to look interstate for players this year? Or was he the 6th best pure mid? Pffft

If I was in the Saints box I would've been trying the exact same moves as we did for the exact same players.

I still don't like losing though so it sucks to see us miss out on what we wanted to do and seeing Carlscum 'succeed'.

Having said that, the trades didn't get done because clubs see us as a threat to finish higher on the ladder so that can only be taken as a positive.

Until they finish second last next year and Adelaide are runners up in the GF. I'm glad we didn't do that deal. Collier Dawkins is a high potential player but also possibly a bust. He's a really high risk high reward type. He's compared to Bont but Bont was putting up a lot of high output games in his draft year. RCD needs to get the ball more. I'd rather try to keep that pick and use it at the draft or in a trade deal for an established player.

Until they finish second last next year and Adelaide are runners up in the GF. I'm glad we didn't do that deal. Collier Dawkins is a high potential player but also possibly a bust. He's a really high risk high reward type. He's compared to Bont but Bont was putting up a lot of high output games in his draft year. RCD needs to get the ball more. I'd rather try to keep that pick and use it at the draft or in a trade deal for an established player.

I would’ve felt better doing that deal for Stocker rather than of RCD.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back