Welcome 2018 national draft, pick 63: Welcome to Hawthorn Mathew Walker

Remove this Banner Ad

supremely talented kid, Mathew Walker just needs to work a bit harder on the field, welcome Mat
Hey Davo,
Pretty decent effort predicting 4 months ago that Kozzi would go at 54 and Mat Walker at 56
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/davo-27s-2018-afl-draft-watch.1198126/

A snippet of background...
Mat played for NSW in the 15 years and under 2015 Australian Schoolboys Championships, in Geelong. He was named second best player for that carnival, and then selected in the All Australian team to go to South Africa in January 2016.

While in Geelong, he was shown around Skilled Stadium and met some of the Geelong players. Fingers crossed that this experience hasn't caused lasting harm.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can see another Dimma here same credentials
We obviously rate our chances to rediscover his 2017 form since we traded up to get him.

It’s a really intriguing selection.

It seems to me that the Hawks really wanted Walker but knew they could not get him if GWS were still capable of matching a bid.

GWS’s 6th and final Draftee for 2018 was at ND pick 61 (they did not take a rookie). It looks like they were out of regular spots on their list and may have been trying to get Walker as a Category B rookie*.

The Hawks then traded up to pick 63 to get Walker as soon as GWS could no longer match a bid: just 2 picks after GWS were out of contention.

Classic Hawthorn drafting behaviour: identify who they want and aggressively trade to get him. If anything says Walker has something special, it is the way the Hawks went after him.

* would need to check GWS’s list, but frankly cbf.

Last edited:
It seems to me that the Hawks really wanted Walker but knew they could not get him if GWS were still capable of matching a bid.

GWS’s 6th and final Draftee for 2018 was at ND pick 61 (they did not take a rookie). It looks like they were out of regular spots on their list and may have been trying to get Walker as a Category B rookie*.

The Hawks then traded up to pick 63 get Walker as soon as GWS could no longer match a bid: just 2 picks after GWS were out of contention.

Classic Hawthorn drafting behaviour: identify who they want and aggressively trade to get him. If anything says Walker has something special, it is the way the Hawks went after him.

It could be that another club was interested and could have drafted him before our pick

The Hawks then traded up to pick 63 to get Walker as soon as GWS could no longer match a bid: just 2 picks after GWS were out of contention.

We aren't taking rookies this year except to manipulate Mummy back onto our list. I dont think it's that devious.

The academies job is to identify the talent available and assist them to reach the elite level. The clubs job is to draft to fit needs on our list.

If the next superstar comes along those needs align, Otherwise they often wont. Absolutely we do squeeze every last drop of advantage when they do.

I imagine Walker is delighted to make it onto the list if a club with a strong system and the best coach in the business, he should be.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back