Welcome 2018 national draft, pick 63: Welcome to Hawthorn Mathew Walker

Remove this Banner Ad

Ditto. Similar to Worpel, seems to have an AFL ready body so could be a fast developer/early entrant into the Seniors
The big difference between Walker and Worpel being that when you say Walker heaps of times really fast, it doesn't sound like you're playing pacman.

26. Taylor Duryea (Hawthorn) traded to Western Bulldogs for future fourth-round pick.
25. Tom Scully (GWS) traded to Hawthorn for future fourth-round pick.

So we swapped a 27 year old Doc for a 27 year old Scully and a few draft points. No wonder the other teams hate us.

We actually gave GWS the 4th Round Selection that we got back from GCS in the Scrimshaw trade.

Essentially that means that we got both Scrimshaw and Scully for our 3rd Round Selection this year.

Even more reason for the haters to hate.

The 4th Round Selection that we got from WBD was sent to Port Adelaide as part of the Wingard trade.

While we obviously paid overs I have no doubt he'll be more than with the investment.

I can't wait to see what magic Clarko and Wrighty will pull out of the hat this upcoming trade period.

I have a feeling the hatred to follow will be of epic proportions.

We actually gave GWS the 4th Round Selection that we got back from GCS in the Scrimshaw trade.

Essentially that means that we got both Scrimshaw and Scully for our 3rd Round Selection this year.

Even more reason for the haters to hate.

The 4th Round Selection that we got from WBD was sent to Port Adelaide as part of the Wingard trade.

While we obviously paid overs I have no doubt he'll be more than with the investment.

I can't wait to see what magic Clarko and Wrighty will pull out of the hat this upcoming trade period.

I have a feeling the hatred to follow will be of epic proportions.
I love melts....

I'm keen as to see the kid make his debut, has the potential to be something special.

An interesting fact is that he is related to former Carlton forward Andrew Walker, if he has even half of his talent I'll be totally stoked!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From the VFL Player by Player Review:

Mathew Walker (10 disposals, 2 goals, 5 marks)
“It was Mats first game for the club as well – he’s an 18-year-old who we are really excited about. He had some exciting moments and took three big contested marks, which shows the talent that he has. He didn’t quite execute on the day, kicking two goals and three behinds, but to have five shots on goal from three-quarters of footy is exciting in itself. He did some 18-year-old things out there that are to be expected, but we will work with him like all the other first-year players on how to play the Hawks way. Overall it was exciting to have him out there.

That's pretty exciting if you ask me.

From the VFL Player by Player Review:

Mathew Walker (10 disposals, 2 goals, 5 marks)
“It was Mats first game for the club as well – he’s an 18-year-old who we are really excited about. He had some exciting moments and took three big contested marks, which shows the talent that he has. He didn’t quite execute on the day, kicking two goals and three behinds, but to have five shots on goal from three-quarters of footy is exciting in itself. He did some 18-year-old things out there that are to be expected, but we will work with him like all the other first-year players on how to play the Hawks way. Overall it was exciting to have him out there.

That's pretty exciting if you ask me.
THat's an awesome first hit out. This guy is going to be special - you'll see what I mean soon enough.

Why did he fall to our late pick?

He slipped late in the draft because he had a little bit of an underwhelming under 18 year. He'd been good without being great consistently enough. Had some rippers, then was quiet. Part of that was to do with positional changes he was being asked to perform with Murray (playing more midfield time etc) and he was thrown around a bit. Sometimes players just fall out of the minds of recruiters when they don't come out guns blazing all the time. That and GWS need for other types led to him falling down the pecking order.

He had a terrific bottom age year, with some outstanding moments in the NEAFL with the giants. One time kicking a bag of 5 goals in a great display. For me personally, having watched that game, it's moments like that recruiters needed to remember. Obviously wright did, and the rest is history.

Sometimes it's very hard for players to impress again after emerging as 17yr olds. It's unfair in some respects, as not all will be able to show their true wares until they're actually in the system.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back