Welcome 2018 national draft, pick 63: Welcome to Hawthorn Mathew Walker

Remove this Banner Ad

Simon Crawshay

Premiership Player
Jun 4, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Walker has had some injuries this year and came to us injured and unfit he didn't have a pre season. He has a lot of Tony Hall about him. Looks very similar to the way he approaches the ball and his marking. Who knows he might debut because he just excites you with the things he does.

Dylan as we know is coming back from injury he has predominately playing half forward but he has the fitness base to play mid. He will need to play through there more and use his endurance because he just doesn't have the burst speed of a poppy to play deep forward in the AFL
Used to love watching Tony Hall strut his stuff in tandem with Dunstall. Gee Hall was a great mark for a man his size.

Walker has had some injuries this year and came to us injured and unfit he didn't have a pre season. He has a lot of Tony Hall about him. Looks very similar to the way he approaches the ball and his marking. Who knows he might debut because he just excites you with the things he does.

Dylan as we know is coming back from injury he has predominately playing half forward but he has the fitness base to play mid. He will need to play through there more and use his endurance because he just doesn't have the burst speed of a poppy to play deep forward in the AFL

Having watched Walker a few times now, I agree. He definitely has the size and strength to compete at the level and is a willing and strong tackler, but he just can't give the repeat efforts that he needs to give in order to solidify a senior spot.

As soon as he reaches the fitness levels demanded for senior footy, he will get his debut - there is nothing surer in my mind. He is exactly what we need and exactly what we're missing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Walker and ross have a lot of work to do. They are no guarantees to success. VFL form doesnt translate as well as it used to. The only thing they can do now is work hard pre seasons set u up for the season.

Jan 17, 2008
Brisvegas
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Walker and ross have a lot of work to do. They are no guarantees to success. VFL form doesnt translate as well as it used to. The only thing they can do now is work hard pre seasons set u up for the season.
Yeah you have to wonder how much improvement is left in Ross. Has smarts but is light and not super athletic - I feel he would need to play high half forward and be a bit of a running machine at AFL level like a Lynch (Adelaide crows variety). Walker has superior athleticism and looks more AFL but has to put it on the board.

Turly

Club Legend
Apr 23, 2010
mill park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Yeah you have to wonder how much improvement is left in Ross. Has smarts but is light and not super athletic - I feel he would need to play high half forward and be a bit of a running machine at AFL level like a Lynch (Adelaide crows variety). Walker has superior athleticism and looks more AFL but has to put it on the board.
Love Ross but Walker is the one IMO. Good size, some pace, beautiful Kick fantastic overhead.

Could be anything.

No idea which spot he takes in the Best 22 but I'd love to see him stagnate this year & push late for selection

Back