• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Angus Young

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Sure NO blew a lead. Sure Rams were better in the second half. But the problem is that call is as obvious as you will get...there is no grey...there is no 50/50 about it...

That better be the last game for those 2 refs.

I haven't seen many Saints games this season, but it felt like every time Taysom Hill came on it sapped the Saints momentum.
OK he had the TD catch where the D wasn't really caring about him, which followed a play where he threw a bad ball.
After that there was the fumble with Kamara which set the Saints back and, after the Ginn catch late, he seemed to not know where he needed to line up, causing the Saints to call a timeout, the Rams to catch their breath and Kamara to fume - which ended in a FG when a TD beckoned.

Nov 12, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
I haven't seen many Saints games this season, but it felt like every time Taysom Hill came on it sapped the Saints momentum.
OK he had the TD catch where the D wasn't really caring about him, which followed a play where he threw a bad ball.
After that there was the fumble with Kamara which set the Saints back and, after the Ginn catch late, he seemed to not know where he needed to line up, causing the Saints to call a timeout, the Rams to catch their breath and Kamara to fume - which ended in a FG when a TD beckoned.

This is true enough, usually when Taysom is brought out for the off he makes plays 9 times out of 10, he had a poor game though.
MT was quiet aswell, he was absolutely beast mode against Philly but just couldn't do a thing vs Rams, which really reduced our potency, especially with our 2 best TEs out injured and Arnold dropping everything remotely near him.

It may have cost NO the chance to win 23-20 in regulation but that's not the same thing as costing them the game. They had chances before and after that.
Yep, I dont think the call made a difference to the game

You 2 cannot be serious, a clear penalty that gives NO a first down with little enough of the clock to basically ensure the Rams get zero looks at a game winner is the epitome of it "costing the game"...

Jul 1, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fulham, 76ers, Cubs, Bills
I think the fact that it was a 100% absolute no doubt obvious missed call in what would have been the final three plays of the game is what is hard to take if you’re a fan.

Game was over if that had been called assuming chip kick was good.

It’s like your team is a few points down in GF and in last seconds of the game your full forward gets blatant round neck or push in back in goal square and not paid.

You wouldn’t console yourself with oh well we had our chances earlier.

If it meant the game went to extra time and we lost, then yeah it would feel like that. Very Fremantle-ish...

Our O has had lots of uncharacteristic problems of late.

Not sure I'd put too much of that on Hill. In fact he's often provided the spark to get some momentum on O. IMO we should have used him more this week.

Jul 1, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Vinovich/Vinovich's crew has cost teams their season before. Sick of the campaigner

Oh haha that’s a good take.
Weren’t the Rams fan base doing a petition to get Vinovich removed for this game?
How ironic!!

You 2 cannot be serious, a clear penalty that gives NO a first down with little enough of the clock to basically ensure the Rams get zero looks at a game winner is the epitome of it "costing the game"...

I am serious.

Why did NO do a passing play on 1-10 with 1.58 left and Rams having 2 timeouts left?

Best chance would be run it 3 times and get first down.
If not, Rams use their timeouts, and you leave them 60 seconds or so.
This way, Rams have 110 seconds and one TO.

Dumb play calling.

And besides as I said NO still had OT to win it.

I’m not trying to be an arsehole, I think NO deserved to win by playing a good game and being number 1 seed but it’s not like this call made the sole difference.
Same as Parkey miss for instance.

Nov 12, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Oh haha that’s a good take.
Weren’t the Rams fan base doing a petition to get Vinovich removed for this game?
How ironic!!

I am serious.

Why did NO do a passing play on 1-10 with 1.58 left and Rams having 2 timeouts left?

Best chance would be run it 3 times and get first down.
If not, Rams use their timeouts, and you leave them 60 seconds or so.
This way, Rams have 110 seconds and one TO.

Dumb play calling.

And besides as I said NO still had OT to win it.

I’m not trying to be an arsehole, I think NO deserved to win by playing a good game and being number 1 seed but it’s not like this call made the sole difference.
Same as Parkey miss for instance.

So you'd then be of the opinion, that if a game is down to a FG attempt by a team, and they miss, that the FG wouldn't be the reason they would lose, even if a good kick 100% wins the game for them.
That's what you, and others are saying.
Sure there are other variables in a game but when you get to the very end and a call/non-call decides the victor, then it absolutely is the reason.

Jul 1, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
So you'd then be of the opinion, that if a game is down to a FG attempt by a team, and they miss, that the FG wouldn't be the reason they would lose, even if a good kick 100% wins the game for them.
That's what you, and others are saying.
Sure there are other variables in a game but when you get to the very end and a call/non-call decides the victor, then it absolutely is the reason.

Of course. As I said Parkey kick didn’t lose them the game.

(Also if Brees and Thomas complete on first down they may end the game that way too but the incompletion doesn’t “lose” the game.)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aug 24, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
As a Saints fan i'm genuinely disenchanted by this game. I had big plans for Super Bowl day but now i doubt i'll even watch the game.
That non call is one of the worst i've experienced as a fan in either NFL or AFL. Its the equivalent of your full forward about to take a mark in the goal square with a minute left, scores level and a defender just charges into him front on with no eyes for the ball. A free kick every day of the week. The opposition then runs it up the other end and scores and sends them to the GF. Heartbreaking and downright unfair.
If the ref makes that call we get 3 more tries at the end zone and leave LA 4 or 5 seconds after the kickoff to score.
I can't say i ever blame refs for a loss as bad calls go both ways but this one is so blatantly bad in the 2nd biggest game of the year.
Hoping Brees can still play at a high level next season to get us back to the playoffs again. Probably need a few more pieces on the defensive side, mainly corners and safeties.
I hope TB12 gets his 6th ring..

Dec 8, 2013
The Norwegian Sky
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Celtics Saints LSU Chelsea RedSox
Can we also take a moment to reflect on how gracious the Saints fans have been. Can you even fathom how the Eagles fans would retaliate in the same circumstances?

NorthernLights
Morganashlee
JeffDunne
Narkee
imadodgyumpire

hats off
I could easily rant and rave and cry foul but at the end of the day it won’t change anything. Part of me even feels sorry for rams fans (or at least the few non-fairweather rams fans) for having to keep hearing about the refs and not that they won. It would definitely suck if the roles were reversed, not as much as it does for us though obviously.

Feb 28, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Baltimore Ravens, Atletico
Don't mean to reopen old wounds but what other ones are there? I remember a famous loss to the 9ers after Jimmy Graham caught a go ahead TD.
Is that the same game as the one where that Alex Smith played the game of his life, including scoring a rushing TD some time during the 4th quarter?

Can we also take a moment to reflect on how gracious the Saints fans have been. Can you even fathom how the Eagles fans would retaliate in the same circumstances?

NorthernLights
Morganashlee
JeffDunne
Narkee
imadodgyumpire

hats off
I’m new to this so probably don’t feel I have the credits in the bank to be as aggrieved as others do.

In saying that, I’m so disappointed. The Saints are easily my second favourite sports team now and I love this game. But this is horseshit.

Dec 8, 2013
The Norwegian Sky
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Celtics Saints LSU Chelsea RedSox
Don't mean to reopen old wounds but what other ones are there? I remember a famous loss to the 9ers after Jimmy Graham caught a go ahead TD.
That’s the worst of them for mine (or at least until Monday).

2010 against a 7-9 Seattle team was another, the Marshawn Lynch “beast mode” run. Add last year against the Vikings and now this latested episode and we’ve arguably had the most heartbreaking playoff experiences of the last ten years.

Nov 12, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
I feel bad for Rams fans who know their Super Bowl birth is tainted

At least their whole dynasty isn't tainted

Yeah it sucks for the rams too, especially because it isn't their fault at all yet they'll feel the spot light and the hate from saints fans and NFL fans in general.

What is getting missed a lot though is Payton's horrendous play calling in the second half...

Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Turtles, NYJets, Celtics, Tottenham
That’s the worst of them for mine (or at least until Monday).

2010 against a 7-9 Seattle team was another, the Marshawn Lynch “beast mode” run. Add last year against the Vikings and now this latested episode and we’ve arguably had the most heartbreaking playoff experiences of the last ten years.

Oh s**t I forgot the Beast Quake was against the Saints. Man, that's a rough few years.

Consolation is the 2009 Super Bowl but geez

Back