NFL 2018 NFL Draft - 27/04/2018 [No Twitter Spoilers]

Remove this Banner Ad

I read up on the last time it happened just recently...

Jimmy Johnson in 1989 the last to do it with Boys, taking Troy Aikmen in the NFL Draft and Steve Walsh in the Supplemental.

All it did was create controversy and it wasn't until the Boys got rid of Walsh and put their faith in Aikmen that they came good. It could be argued that it was the right move because they did get their guy with one of the two picks but it has not been attempted since, at least that early on in the draft.

With still numerous holes to fill Dorsey would be a moron to even consider it.

49ers were going to do it in 2006 with Rodgers and Smith if Rodgers slipped another 8 places

Heres my Mock, i usually dont mock trades but i legit think the bills will go hell for leather to get a QB so have proposed a trade or two around the QBs. This mock is a combo of what i think should happen as well as using the heavy rumours around

1) Cleveland Browns - Josh Allen - QB - Wyoming
2) New York Giants - Saquon Barkley -RB Penn State
3) New York Jets - Sam Darnold - QB - USC
4) Buffalo Bills - Josh Rosen - QB - UCLA

Buffalo trades picks 12, 22 a 2nd and a 2019 2nd plus whatever else to move up to 4

5) Miami Dolphins - Baker Mayfield - QB - Oklahoma

Miami trades picks 11, and a 2019 1st to move up to 6 spots to get Mayfield

6) Indianapolis Colts - Bradley Chubb - DE - NC State
7) Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Derwin James - Safety - Florida State
8) Chicago Bears - Quenton Nelson - OG - Notre Dame
9) Arizona Cardinals - Lamar Jackson - QB - Louisville

Arizona trades pick 16, a 3rd rd pick and a 2019 first to move up to pick 9

10) Oakland Raiders - Roquon Smith - LB - Georgia
11) Denver Broncos - Minkah Fitzparick - DB - Alabama
12) Cleveland Browns - Denzel Ward - CB - Ohio State
13) Washington Redskins - Vita Vea - DT - Washington
14) Green Bay Packers - Marcus Davenport - DE - UTSA
15) San Fransisco - Trumaine Edmunds - LB - Virginia Tech
16) Baltimore Ravens - Mike McClinchey - OT - Notre Dame
17) LA Chargers - Maurice Hurst - DT - Michigan
18) Seattle Seahawks - Isaiah Wynn - OG - Georgia
19) Dallas Cowboys - Calvin Ridley - WR - Alabama
20) Detroit Lions - DAron Payne - DT - Alabama
21) Cincinnatti Bengals - James Daniels - C/G - Iowa
22) Cleveland Browns - Connor Williams - OT - Texas
23) New England Patriots - Kolton Miller - OT - UCLA
24) Carolina Panthers - Joshua Jackson - CB - Iowa
25) Tennessee Titans - Harold Landry - OLB - Boston College
26) Atlanta Falcons - Taven Bryan - DT - Florida
27) New Orleans Saints - Leighton Vander Esch - LB - Boise State
28) Pittsburgh Steelers - Rashaan Evans - LB - Alabama
29) Jacksonville Jaguars - Courtland Sutton - WR - SMU
30) Minnesota Vikings - Mike Hughes - CB - Central Florida
31) New England Patriots - Jaire Alexander - CB - Louisville
32) Philadelphia Eagles - Derrius Guice - RB - LSE

I just don’t understand why the Giants, who have a very pressing need don’t take a Qb. Manning doesn’t have long left....

Draft Analyst’s Tony Pauline reports Oklahoma QB Baker Mayfield being drafted by the Jets is a "done deal."

The Jets are higher on Mayfield than Josh Rosen. They also like Sam Darnold, but Mayfield looks to be their pick if Darnold doesn't fall. Mayfield has "won over" GM Mike Maccagnan in the pre-draft process and fits the West Coast scheme of OC Jeremy Bates. The most pro-ready quarterback in this year's class, Mayfield would push Teddy Bridgewater and Josh McCown to be the Jets' Week 1 starter.

Source: Draft Analyst

Draft Analyst’s Tony Pauline reports "people familiar with the situation" expect the Packers to draft Alabama DB Minkah Fitzpatrick or Iowa CB Josh Jackson with their first-round pick.

The Packers were near the bottom of the league in pass defense last year. Fitzpatrick's stock has been down, but there's a chance he won't be there at the No. 14 pick. Barring a trade up, Green Bay may have to settle on Jackson.

Source: Draft Analyst

CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora "continues to hear" Arkansas OL Frank Ragnow is the top center in the draft.

Ragnow (6'5/309) is a late riser after sitting out the Combine. It's hard to see him drafted ahead of Ohio State's Billy Price, but Ragnow, Price, and Iowa's James Daniels could all be first-round picks. The Bengals, Patriots, and Vikings have been linked to Ragnow.

Source: CBS Sports

NFL Network's Mike Mayock expects LSU DE Arden Key to be drafted in the fourth round.

Key is one of the draft's biggest wildcards. Coming off a down 2017 (four sacks), he's continued to lower his stock with bad Combine interviews and slow forty times at his Pro Day (4.89). Off-field concerns have Key trending as a Day 3 pick, but teams may be willing to trade character risks for his upside. NFL.com's Tom Pelissero doesn't expect Key to fall out of the second round.

Source: Josh Katzenstein on Twitter

NFL Network's Mike Mayock reports teams have injury concerns with Boise State LB Leighton Vander Esch.

Vander Esch's neck injury has removed him from some draft boards. He also had a pinched C-spine nerve and LCL sprain at Boise State. This has been out there, but it confirms teams have flagged Vander Esch's medicals. Vander Esch was given a passing grade for his neck issue at the Combine.

Source: Mark Kaboly on Twitter

I just don’t understand why the Giants, who have a very pressing need don’t take a Qb. Manning doesn’t have long left....

Firstly, who says they’re not? Secondly, they might feel the QBs being talked about aren’t worth the risk when there are other glaring deficiencies. Thirdly, we may prefer to address QB in free agency in the next couple of years. Fourthly, we have other glaring deficiencies.

Still don't think anyone but Darnold and Rosen "deserves" to be a top 10 pick, and that Mayfield "should" be a late 1st or early 2nd -- based on usual things like Height, strength of roster he played behind, and some red flags. That Jackson should be a 3rd and Allen a 4th and Rudolph maybe a 2nd/3rd.

However, given what Catters said, which is going to make teams reach and force the issue.

Then...I guess it's set in stone that Allen goes 1 and Mayfield goes 3. So it's just a matter of figuring out what the Giants do at 2, what the Browns do at 4, and what others do between 5 and 10 and where the Bills and Patriots and Cardinals move up from there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here's my latest hurried and not well thought thru semi-mock.

I think a lot of offensive players will start going mid to late first round, causing so many good defensive players to slide into the 2nd and so we should see a number of teams trade back and out into the 2nd

Version 1,487

1) Browns -- Sam Darnold
2) Giants -- Saquon Barkley
3) Jets -- Josh Rosen
4) Browns -- Bradley Chubb
5) Broncos -- Quenton Nelson
6) Colts -- Denzel Ward
7) Buccaneers -- Tremaine Edmunds
8) Bears -- Calvin Ridley
9) 49ers -- Roquan Smith
10) Raiders -- Maurice Hurst
11) Dolphins -- Vita Vea