NFL 2018 NFL Draft - 27/04/2018 [No Twitter Spoilers]

Remove this Banner Ad

Luke Falk another exciting one. Drafted 199 like Brady. There's an interesting story brewing there

My opinion of Allen has also risen in the past day or so. But his performances against good teams still worry me greatly.

Mayfield dropping ever so slightly, the fact that he's gone to Cleveland is about as sure fire as you can get that he's gonna bust. But I would never write Baker off completely with his character.

Darnold is like a hybrid of Andy Dalton and Jameis Winston. If he actually fixes the turnovers he might be very good tho. The thing with him is that the turnovers are more careless mistakes then forced errors, that tells me he can change those mistakes. He doesn't let physical or mental pressure get to him. He still has the toughness and character to where he should at minimum, be a solid NFL starter for a long time. He has the lowest floor based on Rosen's injury concerns.

Regardless, this draft is a good example of why bad franchises stay bad, Browns, Jets and Bills all pass on the clear best QB in the draft, the Cards, another bad franchise, luck out and he falls into their laps, a dynasty starts. Dynasties start from others' mistakes.

Jackson I don't trust and would have waited and taken Rudolph, let Flacco start for one more year and then ease Rudolph into it. That was a great pick by the Steelers.

Jackson is a hit and miss because you have to trust that his instincts are what are going to take him to success at the next level. Similar to Vick, they play off of instincts, and if their natural talent can't translate to the NFL then they're in trouble, Vick was able to do that. Different players but in that aspect they are similar. You would certainly say Jackson has the arm strength and athleticism to translate, but is he able to go up against NFL defenses? Only time will tell.

Rosen tho I'm serious, I know I've joked about other QB's and in particular Denver being future HOFers or whatever, but Rosen is the real deal. A guy who has the mix of talent, intelligence, desire, toughness, confidence, and football smarts that can take him the whole way. And when he speaks you actually get a sense of honesty. He's a guy that whether or not you personally like him, if you're his teammate you can trust that he'll come thru. He doesn't bullshit, that's why it's he's so endearing and easy to back. People who don't like him because they think he's arrogant, it makes me scratch my head. Modesty isn't a virtue and most 'modest' people are faking it. If you know you're good at something there's nothing wrong with backing yourself all the way.

Do you think Peyton Manning is modest? * off, Brady? If you think these guys are modest you're stupid. They KNOW they're the best, they just won't say that on national television. That's why they trust themselves to make the plays to win the game. They've put the work in/got the natural talent to stack up against ANYONE they go against. You don't make it in the NFL without having extreme self belief.

In all honestly I'm really rooting for all of them, they all have traits I love. I love Mayfield's confidence. I don't care if he ran from police. Sometimes people do stupid things, especially when they're young and/or drunk. Tho that was pushing the absolute limits of stupidity it wasn't something that he probable couldn't learn from and being drafted to the NFL is an incredibly humbling moment which screws a lot of peoples head on I'm sure.

Darnold is a great leader and a special person. His teammates would undoubtedly love him. He's a guy who makes you want to go to another level of sacrifice for him. His toughness is another thing which adds to this, his teammates know he will stand in there and take the hits, so they will feel the onus is on them to do the same.

Allen is similar to Darnold. There is something I can't quite describe but I said it in the Denver thread that he is endearing to me. His accuracy worries me but I've heard people such as Jordan Palmer say that he is shocked based on the film that Allen was actually able to complete at such a high %. His performances in big games are also worrying but I'd love to see him do well. His tweets don't worry me one bit, seriously, there are people his age NOW who say 'fellow' and other stupid s**t like that. He said it when he was like 14 or something. It doesn't worry me.

I think the reason I like Rosen so much is that I see my personality in him somewhat, I relate easily to him in that sense. I find it ridiculous that people call him arrogant and completely understand where he is coming from and the points he is getting across, but most of the time I then see other people perceive his quotes in completely different ways.

Watch out for imo Mason Rudolph, Kyle Lauletta, Mike White, Danny Etling and Luke Falk from the un-touted realms
Rudolph and Falk for sure. I'm not sure about Lauletta but he sure is good looking.

Etling has gone to the Pats so he is going to be a red hot chance to develop well if Belichick is there for a while longer

Rosen tho I'm serious, I know I've joked about other QB's a

In all honestly I'm really rooting

I think the reason I like Rosen so much is that I see my personality in him

I relate easily to him

I find it ridiculous that people call him arrogant and completely understand where he is coming from a

Wow you are seriously in love with the guy.

I like your udfa signing of De Hercules Maatafa
I was hoping the Vikings might go for a big DT with their first pick in the 4th round. Tim Settle was my hope, but the Vikings went with a DE instead. You can’t have too many pass rush options, so you can’t fault them there I suppose.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Little controversy with Shaqueem Griffin. Apparently his 40 time was either accidentally mistimed or deliberately. Really 4:58 not 4:34
Was obviously given some kind of handicap...

(I’m tired of the hand jokes too,but it was there,I took it.....The opportunity for the joke,not the hand)

Little controversy with Shaqueem Griffin. Apparently his 40 time was either accidentally mistimed or deliberately. Really 4:58 not 4:34
Whoa that is a massive difference

Also teams time their own

Middlekauff: What the NFL scouting community thinks of the 49ers and Raiders draft

By John Middlekauff 1h ago

We are now officially much closer to what will be the most anticipated NFL season in Northern California in years. Maybe in my lifetime, (I’m 33) when you factor in the expectations the 49ers and Raiders will carry into Week 1.

I refuse to do draft grades. I think it’s a pretty pointless exercise. We have no clue how these guys will turn out. The NFL shows us every year with multiple undrafted free agents making the team and drafted guys being cut. No one knows, including the teams.

And I have no problem evaluating these players once they start playing preseason games. It’s what the scouting community does all around the NFL. It’s what makes August interesting to me. How are the rookies playing? Who stands out? Who can’t play?

I texted scouts and execs the last several days, while peeking at some film for some of the main draft picks on each Bay Area team. Let’s take a look what I found out.

49ers
“Dante Pettis was the best return man in the draft. Some say he went high, but I wasn’t shocked at all to see where he went,” said one NFL general manager.

The 49ers have not had an elite threat on special teams in a long time. Pettis immediately gives them a dynamic punt return guy. Trent Taylor was functional as a return man, but he was never going to be a threat to take one to the house. Pettis also takes pressure off Taylor, who can just focus on being a slot wide receiver next year.

If Pettis can just score two touchdowns a year as a return man — he holds the NCAA record with nine during his career at Washington — he would be tied for the NFL lead. That’s where the 49ers need a big boost.

One scout texted me that he loved the 49ers third-round pick, BYU linebacker Fred Warner.

“He’ll be a good coverage linebacker, really rangy, and he’s going to be functional on run downs,” he wrote. “The league is trending to what he brings to the table.”

“He reminds me of the Eagles’ Jordan Hicks, who also went in the third round a couple years back,” another scout said. “A rangy 21-year-old with upside that had a lot of support in our building.”

I agree. Warner ran a 4.65 40-yard dash and jumped over 38 inches in the vertical leap. He is an explosive athlete — the type of guy you need against teams who want to spread you out each week. If you do not have linebackers who can cover, then you will not be able to be good on defense in 2018. I liked the pick.

Hard to watch this highlight tape and not think there will be a role for Warner on gameday as a rookie.

Twitter freaked out Saturday when John Lynch selected the first ACL guy of his career. I had no issue with it. Unlike former GM Trent Baalke, he waited until Day 3, when the chances of landing a good player is low anyway.

Baalke often used second-day picks on those players. Tank Carradine was pick No. 40, Brandon Thomas was a third-round pick. You need players in Rounds 2 and 3 to be immediate starters. That was my biggest issue with his strategy, which clearly ended up backfiring.

North Carolina State’s Kentavius Street, the 49ers’ fourth-round pick, didn’t come off the board until pick 128. I have no issues with that selection. Outside of the top-100, you can take fliers on guys who would have gone much higher if healthy.

Also, I respect the fact Lynch had an open mind with defensive players. In the Seattle scheme, they only like big corners, but often overlook good players who could excel in any scheme. I’ve heard many teams have certain height requirements to make the draft board; if you don’t hit them, you will be removed, regardless of how good you are. Kudos to the 49ers brass for not doing this.

D.J. Reed, the 49ers fifth-round corner from Kansas State, is an ideal nickel corner. He also has return value. He is just not that tall at 5-foot-9.

Reed dominated the Big 12, a pass-happy league, and was fifth in the country in passes defended. In my experience, you can’t teach ball skills past college. You either have them or you don’t in the NFL. This kid is also tough, something you have to be to play nickel. If you are not a willing tackler, teams will check to runs, and attempt to shove it down your throat. I think he should contribute right away, like Warner.

I also did a draft show Saturday morning on KNBR, and Reed joined us after he was selected. When asked if he thought Baker Mayfield was a good player, his response was basically, “I don’t know, he didn’t throw my way.” Have to love the confidence. No good defensive back lacks for it on Sundays.

Raiders
Twitter might have hated the Jon Gruden’s first draft, but after texting around, it might not be as bad as first thought.

The only thing I will continue to harp on will be the compensation they got for the Kolton Miller trade. I heard from a league source that Mark Davis was unhappy with the return on the trade. Sources say he supported them trading back, he just expected them to get more in trading with a team in desperate need of Josh Rosen. The Raiders had the leverage.

I don’t blame him. You have to get at least a second-round pick for a team desperate for their franchise signal-caller. Arizona was desperate, especially with Miami was drafting next, and the Raiders had leverage over them. It really made no sense.

Their second-round pick, defensive tackle P.J. Hall, is a classic late riser.

“We had a sixth-round grade after the season. Once workouts happened and he tested well, we moved him up closer to the fourth round,” said a senior exec. “He didn’t get a Senior Bowl invite, and didn’t go to the combine, so it’s safe to say the Raiders reached on this guy by at least a round.”

The third round was hit or miss from the people I talked with. I have received strong praise on offensive tackle Brandon Parker.

“I loved the upside on Parker,” said a scout. “He went a little higher than expected but I totally understand it. Our OL coach was very high on him. He has a lot of raw talent, with a ton of upside.”

Their next pick, pass rusher Arden Key, didn’t quite get the same positive reviews.

“He was off our board,” said a senior NFL personnel man. “We wouldn’t have touched him. Clearly has talent, but you were not going to find many people at LSU vouching for him.”

My big issue with Key, and Martavis Bryant for this argument, is just how hard it will be to stay clean with marijuana in California. Both guys have been to rehab for the drug that is now not only legal in our state, but available to be delivered to your house. While I understand taking risks, both of these guys will be put into a very tough situation given their previous history.

The last time Gruden was in the NFL, suspensions for marijuana were not a big deal. Times have clearly changed. Guys who can’t stop smoking get suspended, regardless of what that state laws are. And that means they miss games. Most people, like me for example, don’t care at all, but the NFL still does. And that is all that really matters when acquiring these type of players.

One of the better picks in the entire draft was Michigan defensive tackle Mo Hurst. But he fell for a reason. Hurst is a 4-3 defensive tackle only, so that means that half the teams in the NFL would not have drafted him just based of fit alone — not even factoring in the heart issue.

I asked a GM what he thought of the draft pick: “Sad deal. He could be fine but it’s definitely a big risk.”

I don’t know all the details of his heart condition, but it’s clear many teams red-flagged him.

He’s an A-plus character guy, with very solid film. He’s the type of player the Raiders have been missing on their defensive line. He was Pro Football Focus’s top DT heading into the draft.

PFF Draft✔@PFF_College
Our interior defender Big Board is aligned with Big Mo Hurst at the top while No.'s 2, 3 & 4 were all selected last night

2:00 PM - Apr 27, 2018

I have no issue with it in the fifth round. Taking a guy who should have gone in the top 50 picks midway through Day 3 is a good calculated risk. I think he’s a much better better player than Hall, their second-round pick. If he can overcome the heart issue, look for Hurst to be a starter Day 1.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back