NFL 2018 NFL Draft - 27/04/2018 [No Twitter Spoilers]

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 4, 2007
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Dallas Stars, Chargers
As we see more and more teams eliminated from playoff contention i think its a good time to create a thread for next years draft for any fans who are starting to keep an eye on potential top prospects.

With bowl season about to kick off we will see more and more prospects make their decison on declaring for the draft or ataying in school.

For some a big bowl game could be pivotal to moving up draft boards.

Some key disucssion points early on..

1) the QB class (as always) there does appear to be some strong prospects this year although havent confirmed if they are all declaring.

The main prospects this year are Josh Rosen from UCLA, lamar jackson lousville, Luke Falk from washington state and Baker Mayfield from oklahoma state. Josh allen from wyoming looks to be the polarizing prospect this year.

Ive excluded sam darnold as most aigns point to him staying in school (avoiding the browns)

2) elite running back class.

Saquon barkley looks to be as highly touted a prospect as zeke and leonard fournette...he should go top 5. There is also some strong complimentary talent on bryce love from stanford, derrius guice from lsu and nick chubb from georgia all could be picked in the 1st round. Could this class rival previous stand outs?

3) the browns...as always what the browns do will be watched with pop corn

But this year the browns own houstons 1st and 2nd round picks...and with the watson injury plunging the texans seaaon...the browns have 4 picks in the top 40. New driver in the front office. Will be interesting.

Here are teams eliminated so far.

Cleveland
New York Giants
San fransisco
Indianapolis
Denver
Houston
Chicago
Tampa Bay
Washington

Last edited:
Bradley Chubb is a pass rusher from UNC. Nick Chubb is the RB from UGA
I want to know who this Bruce Love is. If he was a top draft prospect he should of been playing when Brice Love was injured.
And when did Mayfield become a Cowboy. Im expecting the other Cowboys QB in Mason Rudolph to be a better player and a mid round steal for a team, but could fly up the boards with combine and pro day.

Im expecting a few people to return, Love being a 1 year starter could return and turn himself into a first round pick.

Royce Freeman will be a great pick up for who ever takes him, i dont expect him to be taken till late 3rd or later.

And for a player who lost people around him everyone jumped off the Josh Allen train fast, no one has said much about Jake Browning this year. He is no worse at decision making than Rosen. This looks like another year of top ranked QB's not being franchise QB's unless they get to sit behind a vet. Someone like the Chargers could do great having one sit a year or so to learn from Rivers.

Cant believe there are 3 QBs taken in that top 12 and not one of them is named Lamar Jackson. There are a heap of people sleeping on him.

If i was looking for a QB id have Jackson and Darnold as my top two. Either/either.

If Darnold does enter the draft and goes to the Giants. it will make the Jets Sanchez experiment look like a success.

There is no way he should enter the draft, he needs another year.

I wouldnt waste a first round pick on Jackson unless you are the Jags and are a QB away from a contender, you will get 3 years max before his body breaks down. too many athletic QB take too many hits and end up injured.

If Darnold does enter the draft and goes to the Giants. it will make the Jets Sanchez experiment look like a success.

There is no way he should enter the draft, he needs another year.

I wouldnt waste a first round pick on Jackson unless you are the Jags and are a QB away from a contender, you will get 3 years max before his body breaks down. too many athletic QB take too many hits and end up injured.

Jackson has had a better year this year than his Heismen year, his passing stats continue to improve, 8% improvement on completions, 0.5 yards longer on completed passes and less interceptions while throwing the same amount of attempts.

Darnold despite having a disappointing year still has more upside than the rest of them.

Jackson has had a better year this year than his Heismen year, his passing stats continue to improve, 8% improvement on completions, 0.5 yards longer on completed passes and less interceptions while throwing the same amount of attempts.

Darnold despite having a disappointing year still has more upside than the rest of them.
Yes, but Jackson wont be a real franchise QB because of the hits he takes. He wont last 10-15 years.

And Darnold needs another year. if he goes to the NFL he will be thrown to the wolves and never fix the holes in his game. he will endup making them worse. We have seen it too many times when a player goes a year early they never improve and playing on a bad team breaks them. Most NFL teams dont have QB coaches that can finish developing a QB, they can just adjust them to a NFL style

I think there are prospects in this draft that are close to 10/10 rated in their position

Saquon barkley RB Penn State
Quenton Nelson G Notre Dame
Minkah Fitzpatrick DB Alabama

If teams follow the BPA rule these should the players picked..

Teams chasing the qbs and wide receivers which dont appear overly strong this year, could see these players above wrongly slide

One of the scouts i follow has said the texas punter who just declared for the draft is the best punter hes ever scouted.

Will be interesting to see if there is another jags/unger situation this year.

Maybe a team who has a lot of early picks in draft might take him in the 4th or 5th

One of the scouts i follow has said the texas punter who just declared for the draft is the best punter hes ever scouted.

Maybe a team who has a lot of early picks in draft might take him in the 4th or 5th
Another Aguayo result? Reach for a bust.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anger. Unger is the Saints center.

And I'm pretty sure the Jags took him in the 3rd

Unger was drafter by Seattle. and apart of the Jimmy Graham trade.

Brian Anger is a punter the Jags used to have dont know where he is now.

Spelling error, meant anger. And yeh i know he went in the 3rd round. My point was i dont think a punter will go on 3rd again..but will be interesting if a team pulls the trigger in the 4th or 5th due to a very high scout rating.

Interesting note on anger..here are some players who got drafted just after him in the 3rd round...

Russell wilson
Olivier vernon
Brandon Brooks
Tyron Crawford
Ty hilton

After an ordinary seasom josh allen is having an amazing bowl game. 125 yards and 3 tds in 1st half.

A good second half probably puts his name in lights back into 2nd round contention
He lost some good players from last season. I think he would be a better and safer pick and Mayfield for 1st round.

I can see the Chargers, Arizona, Ravens look close at him for the first round. Even the Jags if he lasts that long.

After an ordinary seasom josh allen is having an amazing bowl game. 125 yards and 3 tds in 1st half.

A good second half probably puts his name in lights back into 2nd round contention
No way was Allen's season ordinary. It was excellent given he had no running back and div 2 level receivers. Won four games off of his own back. Stats can be incredibly misleading. He's a much better prospect than he was this time last year. His ability to assess a situation and execute rather than go the deep route like he did far too often in 2016 has been immense in its improvement. Equal with Rosen for best QB in the draft. I've watched a lot of college football and he's a top tier QB, as is Rosen. Would be shocked if he wasn't a top 3 selection.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back