2018 NHL Off Season

Apr 8, 2007
Dublin
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SJ Sharks/Everton/NY Jets
I've jumped on board the oilers. Anyone give me a rundown on their thoughts for the team (aside from McJesus)?
Get out of my safe space.

Draisaitl is a genuine star with McDavid, Nurse is a good defensive D-man, Adam Larsson is still finding himself and Klefbom has potential on D. Puljujarvi needs to pick it up this year. Oilers have just made too many odd trades to make themselves way too reliant on McDavid. 108 pts last year, 70 for Draisaitl and next was Nuge with 48. They got rid of Eberle for Strome and that didn't work out and there's the really bad Taylor Hall deal..

May 30, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Boston Bruins, Boston Celtics
What did you expect the return to be when Montreal themselves back them selves into a corner? Considering this, I think they've done just fine.
So that reads - "Considering they're absolutely terrible at managing their top offensive talent, they've done really well in this deal"

Tatar was verging on a salary dump. 12 out of 20 playoff games he was a scratch. He was a disaster in Vegas.

Last edited:

TheMcManusNose

Premiership Player
Apr 21, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Vancouver Canucks
I've jumped on board the oilers. Anyone give me a rundown on their thoughts for the team (aside from McJesus)?

Honestly, going to be mega tough for the Oilers to do anything but tread water on the edge of the playoffs for the next two years IMO. McDavid/Drai will keep them out of the cellar, but a deadset ordinary defence and horrid depth will limit them.

Pray that Puljujarvi, Yamamoto and Bouchard can develop into good players and management avoids the idiotic quick-fix moves that they have been making basically since 2007.

And I say this as a Canucks fan whose management still have apparently not realised this is rock bottom (seriously think Ottawa and Detroit are icing better teams this year, and that is saying a lot) and have frittered away any chance of remotely accelerating what is going to be a long rebuild for us.

Aug 12, 2012
sv_cheats 1
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Edmonton Oilers
Honestly, going to be mega tough for the Oilers to do anything but tread water on the edge of the playoffs for the next two years IMO. McDavid/Drai will keep them out of the cellar, but a deadset ordinary defence and horrid depth will limit them.

Pray that Puljujarvi, Yamamoto and Bouchard can develop into good players and management avoids the idiotic quick-fix moves that they have been making basically since 2007.

And I say this as a Canucks fan whose management still have apparently not realised this is rock bottom (seriously think Ottawa and Detroit are icing better teams this year, and that is saying a lot) and have frittered away any chance of remotely accelerating what is going to be a long rebuild for us.
Yeah that's the vibe I'm getting from reading news articles and opinion in the lead up to the start of the season. I kinda like that to be honest. Maybe it's years of Carlton support that makes me almost fear success though.... Won't know what to do with myself when we start getting things right.

TheMcManusNose

Premiership Player
Apr 21, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Vancouver Canucks
Yeah that's the vibe I'm getting from reading news articles and opinion in the lead up to the start of the season. I kinda like that to be honest. Maybe it's years of Carlton support that makes me almost fear success though.... Won't know what to do with myself when we start getting things right.

Haha. Fair enough. Frankly as a Freo supporter it has been damn annoying that the peaks and troughs have broadly mirrored Vancouver's this last decade.

At least with Freo now though there is a fair amount of hope and upside. The Canucks... see you in 2021.

TheMcManusNose

Premiership Player
Apr 21, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Vancouver Canucks
this would also applie to the canucks, but the stupid dumb **** owner needs to be stopped from making decisions too

We have nothing left to trade really. There is no more damage that Benning and co can actually do to this team, short of something truly astonishing like trading Horvat, but that's probably too out there even for the MacTavishs and Chiarellis of this world. No chance the 1st gets traded this year with the draft in Vancouver - ownership would never allow it IMO.

But yeah I think this year will be the year Benning gets punted if not next. Linden is gone in an apparent disagreement about something to do with team direction so they have lost a lot of the goodwill there. Petterson will put some bums on seats intially but no one else is really ready to make the step up. Meanwhile we've lost 3 of our top-5 scorers from last season, plus Edler is starting to fall off a cliff... The team is Sabres 2014-15 bad.

slashin_velvet

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 5, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys, STL Blues
NHL.tv seems a lot better this year so far across the preseason - hope that's not due to lack of users.

Still shitty they removed the add break skipping versions they used to publish. Either show the adds, or cut the gaps....this black screen with a rotating NHL logo is stupid for replays.

Drummond

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 13, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Red Wings
NHL.tv seems a lot better this year so far across the preseason - hope that's not due to lack of users.

Still shitty they removed the add break skipping versions they used to publish. Either show the adds, or cut the gaps....this black screen with a rotating NHL logo is stupid for replays.
Hang on, you can’t skip 10 or 15 seconds or whatever it was during the ads? Cause I’m avoiding scores tomorrow and watching Detroit when I get home. That stinks.

slashin_velvet

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 5, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys, STL Blues
Hang on, you can’t skip 10 or 15 seconds or whatever it was during the ads? Cause I’m avoiding scores tomorrow and watching Detroit when I get home. That stinks.
You can fast forward, but you need to know how long the gaps are.

During blues game a usual advertising break is about 1.45.

It used to cut those gaps out of the stream so it was seamless, now it goes to a black screen with a rotating NHL logo.

Back