Resource 2018 AFL Draft Order

Remove this Banner Ad

Would be cool if you could update the table after every round next year
I will be :) It's actually automated to update itself by pulling the ladder off the internet at the end of each round, but I usually check it and post a screenshot each week because gremlins on the google servers sometimes make a mess of the embed in the OP.

I will be :) It's actually automated to update itself by pulling the ladder off the internet at the end of each round, but I usually check it and post a screenshot each week because gremlins on the google servers sometimes make a mess of the embed in the OP.
Wow that's awesome.

Great thread, well done OP.

I think this really highlights how Adelaide's Gibbs trade isn't as bad as some people make out. They'll be red hot contenders for the flag, then will take the third strongest hand into a high quality draft. It's a solid trade, and good long and short term thinking by the Crows.

edit: (but just in the interest of balance, yes they probably should have done it last year)

Last edited:
Lore > Lorde

Love this future pick trading, gives you a reason for wanting another team to go badly. We've got Pies 2018 second, so other than the fact so many of us just want the Pies to go badly because they're the Pies, next year I've got extra incentive. Plus my ex is a Pies supporter :)

So bottom four Bucks will do me fine on all counts!

A massive well done for your work this year and next years is already posted - brilliant work xxx

A curve ball regarding this years draft.

If Gaff were to move as a free agent at the end of the season from WCE and the Eagles were granted a 1st round draft pick, despite the fact that they have no 1st round picks in 2018, would that pick be based upon a spot AFTER there ladder finish? (i.e finish 10th = pick 9 usually, therefore pick 10)

If Gaff were to move as a free agent at the end of the season from WCE and the Eagles were granted a 1st round draft pick, despite the fact that they have no 1st round picks in 2018, would that pick be based upon a spot AFTER there ladder finish? (i.e finish 10th = pick 9 usually, therefore pick 10)

The Eagles pick still exists, it's just in the Suns hands. In that scenario the pick would be straight after the Suns use that pick.

That is how compensation picks work, yes.

Lock in Adelaide & Port coming hard for one of the first 3 picks.
Could see Adelaide offering a team two first round picks to get the local lad. Just not sure any team would take it this year.

i.e. #3 CFC > #10 and #17?

It is early days though...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could see Adelaide offering a team two first round picks to get the local lad. Just not sure any team would take it this year.

i.e. #3 CFC > #10 and #17?

It is early days though...

They'll have to pay more than that.

Im not sure anyone will have more or be willing to pay more than two first rounders for that upgrade.
You have to be realistic
I agree, which is why it won't happen.

If you are looking to move up the order (like top 3), you have to pay overs or there is no incentive for the team holding that pick to trade it. If Adelaide wants Lukosius or Rankine (and they stay top 3 picks) I'd say they would have to give up way more than any Adelaide BF fan would be happy to.

Im not sure anyone will have more or be willing to pay more than two first rounders for that upgrade.
You have to be realistic

I'm realistic enough to know that 10 and 17 are unlikely to replace Lukosius or Rankine.

I think the best chance the S.A. clubs have is if Lynch leaves the GC and they can get GC to part with a second likely top 3 priority pick.

I'm realistic enough to know that 10 and 17 are unlikely to replace Lukosius or Rankine.

I think the best chance the S.A. clubs have is if Lynch leaves the GC and they can get GC to part with a second likely top 3 priority pick.
Well thought out. Gold Coast might be nervous about go home factor with the two SA boys and could find a clutch of other first rounders and maybe a useful player thrown in attractive.

Or GC may have picks 1 & 2 and take both SA boys to negate the go home factor.

Whatever happens, this super draft actually does appear to be one of, if not the best draft ever. Pointy end picks will be tightly held and the F/S and academy players add another layer of spice. An enticing dessert to a hopefully delicious 2018 season.

Well thought out. Gold Coast might be nervous about go home factor with the two SA boys and could find a clutch of other first rounders and maybe a useful player thrown in attractive.

OR

They could use both picks to draft the King twins.

Not really.
We have a first plus Jason Carter and possibly Medhat as NGA, where we can trade for picks/points

If Carter probably goes after your first then you've traded out the picks that would have likely been used to pay for Carter. You may trade players out to get the points for Carter, or just go into deficit until next year.

Be interesting to see if you trade out players to get 2018 picks or 2019 picks. If the draft this year is as strong as they say it could make sense to load up on 2019 picks and just play a small role in this one (R1, Carter and some very late picks).

However, I think the AFL's rules are that if Carter is bid from 1-18, and Freo go into deficit when matching, that the deficit will be taken from their 2019 first rounder. So if he is looking likely to be a top 18 bid then they would want to trade for 2018 2nd picks - as its better to pay for players with lower picks than higher picks.

I don't know anything about Medhat and where he is likely to go.

However, I think the AFL's rules are that if Carter is bid from 1-18, and Freo go into deficit when matching, that the deficit will be taken from their 2019 first rounder.
Just had a look at Nightmare's draft prospects for 2018 and doesn't mention him in his top 20. Early days, but with the 197 discount points it makes it pretty easy to match.

My guess is Freo will trade a player or future-trade picks to cover the points anyway. They could also do what West Coast did and trade out a belter of a future pick in the 1st Round, for multiple seconds. It worked well for The Eagles, and I think more clubs will look at it in the future.

Plenty of options.

Squiggle 2018 predictor has this:-

2018 SEASON PREDICTOR
1 Rich - 15 wins 7 losses 130%
2 cows - 15 wins 7 losses 129.7%
3 Port - 14 wins 8 losses 128.4%
4 Swans - 14 - 8 127.9%
5 GWS 13 - 9
6 Cats 13 - 9
7 Western Bulldogs 11 -11
8 Essendon 11 -11
9 Collingwood 11 -11
10 St Kilda 11 -11
11 Hawthorn 11 -11
12 Melbourne 10 - 12
13 West Coast 10 - 12
14 Carlton 9 - 13
15 Fremantle 8 - 14
16 North Melbourne 8 - 14
17 Brisbane Lions 7 - 15
18 Gold Coast 6 - 16

Squiggle 2018 predictor has this:-

2018 SEASON PREDICTOR
1 Rich - 15 wins 7 losses 130%
2 cows - 15 wins 7 losses 129.7%
3 Port - 14 wins 8 losses 128.4%
4 Swans - 14 - 8 127.9%
5 GWS 13 - 9
6 Cats 13 - 9
7 Western Bulldogs 11 -11
8 Essendon 11 -11
9 Collingwood 11 -11
10 St Kilda 11 -11
11 Hawthorn 11 -11
12 Melbourne 10 - 12
13 West Coast 10 - 12
14 Carlton 9 - 13
15 Fremantle 8 - 14
16 North Melbourne 8 - 14
17 Brisbane Lions 7 - 15
18 Gold Coast 6 - 16
I used to import the squiggle ladder into the spreadsheet because I think it's more interesting than the ladder order in early rounds, but the formatting has changed and the import function doesn't work so well anymore. If I can figure out a way to do it and there's enough demand I might make it again though... Final Siren

Remove this Banner Ad

Back