Play Nice 2018 Non AFL Admin, Crowds, Ratings, Participation etc thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Where is it big in gospel? Ive yet to see a report about the AFL or by the AFL, that says that junior participation grows attendances - such a suggestion flies in the face of everything we know about basketball, netball, and soccer. In fact, we know that attendance averages dropped for the 5 years after introducing Gold Coast and GWS.

I think that the AFL believes expanding has an effect on grassroots which may affect generational change in support far down the track. This is nowhere more evident than the effect on AFLW on grassroots female football. However GWS and Gold Coast were just as much about grassroots development in Queensland and Western Sydney as about adding to media rights and other metrics.

For example, for boys - In Qld junior football figures (U12) at club level have risen from 9,527 in 2012 to 15,431 last year. U13-U18 numbers have risen from 5,477 to 7,806. (Seniors and vets rose from 5,500 to 9,500 since 2012)

Clearly we have a different view on what constitutes gospel, so be it. By all means trot out participation numbers, even though we both seem to agree any corollation with attendences is dubious at best.

Y
You try so hard trying to spin it - which ever way you look at it it is a terrible crowd for the "beautiful world game" and looked shocking onTV!
Open your eyes the A League is in real trouble and Im not the only one saying it!

They are in danger of slipping back to the dark days of the NSL bringing in new clubs and a relegation system wont save their arse and cost a lot more money that they dont have.
Look how much the AFL has poured into the two new clubs soccer hasnt got that sort of coin to waste.

You seem to feel really threatened by this foreign roundball terror sugartits. It's not okay to feel this insecure.

AS a general rule, they don't need the AFL to have a bad season to put the boot in, they sink the slipper in over every tiny little chip sitting on their collective shoulders.

But don't ever forget: it's the AFL which fears soccer.

They fear everything. Even a competition played between Late Dec and early Feb and is threat whatsoever spooked them so they cooked up AFLx. It must hurt also being a fan that feels to threatened by Johnny Foreigner and their sports in this day and age.

They fear everything. Even a competition played between Late Dec and early Feb and is threat whatsoever spooked them so they cooked up AFLx. It must hurt also being a fan that feels to threatened by Johnny Foreigner and their sports in this day and age.
You clearly don't understand how businesses work.

You clearly don't see my point.
It seems you are just angry that the AFL are trying to grow and become as big as they possibly can and that is encroaching on other sports. Cricket would be my favourite sport and it doesn't worry me one bit that the AFL is trying to steal attention away from it because it is what it is. It seems for some reason these hardcore soccer types (minority) think that other sports success is to there demise and it is all orchestrated to hurt them not grow the sport. It's not the AFL's job to give other sports a leg up and I'm not sure why they think AFL can't try to run competitions for a longer duration of the year like Soccer, Rugby, Cricket, Basketball ect are around the world.

You clearly don't see my point.

Your point appears to be that the AFLX was created because the AFL is threatened by the BBL...you know that they have responded to this threat by launching AFLX a fortnight after the BBL finished? So you reject the thesis that AFLX is merely designed to steal soccer grounds from the little kiddies?

Or, and this is a crazy idea I know, but do you think perhaps AFLX might be a broader, multi-faceted strategic response based on a consideration of strengths (leveraging them), weaknesses (addressing them), opportunities (exploiting them) and (yes) threats (overcoming them)? You know like, how successful organisations like the AFL assess and respond to their changing environments?

And this....

It must hurt also being a fan that feels to threatened by Johnny Foreigner and their sports in this day and age.

...I think its fair to say that your point is not obvious and that sentence could have been written better. My working assumption is that you are trying to characterise support for Australian football as base-xenophobic-nationalism. What ever gives you solace

I must be the only person who doesn't read 442. o_O
You should, it's informative. Here's an exercise for you, post in FFT that you like A league and AFL, post in League Unlimited that you like NRL and AFL, post in BF that you like AFL and ALeague.

Guarantee a far more 'vigorous' response on FFT than the other 2.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Well, that small group dominate soccer forums and social media then, and they make the most rabid AFL fan look pale in comparison. I started frequenting FFT because I liked following the Socceroos and the Matildas, was a casual follower of Perth Glory, and had 2 kids playing soccer. They turned me against soccer so much I even stopped barracking for the Socceroos. As I barrack for Australia in everything, that takes some doing.

At the risk of incurring Wookies wrath.

AFL, channel 7 are the last remaining strongholds of white Australia policy.

The only thing would've made it worse is if that eggball-loving scrag had said that sh1t in Blatter/Beckenbauer's presence. If I were Bonita I would've knocked that bogan hag the **** out and apologised on behalf of the nation to Sepp/Franz, but I would've said first and foremost "THIS is why we NEED to host the World Cup; so my country can join the 21st Century, dragged kicking and screaming if necessary. Qatar is already a football-loving nation that doesn't need converting - mine DOES"

2 of the most recent posts from the thread on AFLX, a thread titled `AFL to take over football pitches with new game`.

It gets nasty here from time to time, but nothing like FFT.

My take is that Oz soccer fans are resentful that the sport isn’t dominating the sporting landscape like it does in most parts of the world, and their sense of entitlement turns to resentment very quickly when the sport stagnates as it has this season.

And it’s not just from the fans either; I think Simon Hill is a good commentator but constantly in interviews when there’s negative soccer controversies he’s always bitterly deflecting with potshots about other sports; just today about the WSW fan issue he mentioned more than once in an interview about the crowd racism incident over the weekend and how the game has a “terrible” problem with the issue.

I do agree that soccer gets unfairly treated compared to other sports in the mainstream Oz press, but the chip on the shoulder attitude from as prominent a soccer personality as Hill doesn’t help matters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Goes for 37 pages and an absurd display of paranoia and hatred with the most recent post stating that the AFL is aiming to buy exclusive use of rectangular grounds from October to May... lol...

I'm an occasional reader of that forum and the frequency and level of abuse and conspiracy theory directed towards AF is mind boggling and quite amusing too!

AFLX, AFL games in China, the World Cup bid, AFLW, funding for oval stadiums or any negative news about AF are some of the regular topics where the usual insults about "eggball", bogans, "ALF" etc abound.

The soccer fans on the Roar are not much better. There is no comparison with how soccer is discussed here.

37 pages! Jesus not even our AFLX thread is that long obsessed much lol. I use to sometimes frequent 442.. sorry flogflogtwo (as we would call it on the old MV.net forum) at times just to get a laugh out of a few posters reactions about the game especially after a MV win! (some real cynic's on there) as well to see if there are any rumors floating about regarding the A-league. Sometimes you will get some good discussions on there about the A-league and Australian Soccer but then bam! some idiot will post about AFL compared to Sokkha and a s**t storm is created! Another thread turned into an AFL hating thread on a Soccer forum go figure. I lost count the amount of threads that where hijacked on there regarding AFL and how it always screws Sokkha :rolleyes: At one point I counted no less then six threads on there main board all related to AFL, SIX! on a soccer board! sad really. needless to say I never become a member.
Its soccer fans like the ones on 442 that are really holding the game back in this country, victim mentality sense of entitlement that's been ingrained in them, The your either with us or against us attitude just doesn't sit with me in this free country of ours. It's probably generational don't know. Not surprising through most of those posters are from NSW where AFL is hated most. I decided that is enough for me on flogflogtwo the place is full of trolls, bitters and racists. Franky I'm surprised its still running considering the amount of crap on there.

To be honest for me Bigfooty has a big enough soccer community on our soccer boards where I get my soccer fix, way better then most soccer forums out there. We have a good bunch of dedicated members of both codes on here who engage in some very lively discussions. Some just post on soccer boards and that's fine too, shows the diverse of Bigfooty members. Some good discussions are had on the main boards as well despite some far swinging differences by some. It's more civil and informative where your not constantly shut down by trolls. compared to flogflogtwo its like Mother Therisa V Hitler lol

Last edited:
You should, it's informative. Here's an exercise for you, post in FFT that you like A league and AFL, post in League Unlimited that you like NRL and AFL, post in BF that you like AFL and ALeague.

Guarantee a far more 'vigorous' response on FFT than the other 2.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk
why would I want to do that? 442 doesn't speak for every single soccer fan nor do I have much in common with them or the discussions which go on that site.

"Its soccer fans like the ones on 442 that are really holding the game back in this country, victim mentality sense of entitlement that's been ingrained in them, The your either with us or against us attitude just doesn't sit with me in this free country of ours."
So true

We are not threatened by soccer, it has had many chances to improve over the 70 odd years since WW2 with the massive influx of soccer loving migrants and has blown them all and it looks most likely the A League will go the same way.
The AFL will do what it has to to protect its territory as any business does.
The reason I like to stick it to soccer fanatics in this country is their blatant hubris and that they actually believe their own BS with nothing to back it up.
BTW I dont hate the game itself and sometimes watch some of the top matches from England and Europe and thats the other big problem for the A League its that people can see the best in the world live not a second rate local comp.

Dude it's okay to be insecure.

Come here. Give me a hug. I might have memberships for teams from different sports in this country but you won't catch anything because of that.

Hang on, did the soccer moderator that trolls other sub-forums when there are conversations about soccer that make him feel threatened, just call someone insecure?

I dont understand why some of the people here that hate soccer would trawl 442 looking for a reason to get upset though? Let them say whatever they want there. Its not aimed at afl or nrl fans ears or computers there. Its when you trawl and bring it here that causes a stir.

I dont understand why some of the people here that hate soccer would trawl 442 looking for a reason to get upset though? Let them say whatever they want there. Its not aimed at afl or nrl fans ears or computers there. Its when you trawl and bring it here that causes a stir.
I don't get why some of the people here that hate our game of Australian Football would trawl here looking for a reason to get upset though. Let us say what we want. It's not aimed at a-league or nrl fans ears or computers there. It's when you trawl and bring it here that causes a stir.

I don't get why some of the people here that hate our game of Australian Football would trawl here looking for a reason to get upset though. Let us say what we want. It's not aimed at a-league or nrl fans ears or computers there. It's when you trawl and bring it here that causes a stir.

I'm pretty sure it's called "VFL", I think you'll find

Hey i agree guys. I enjoy both codes and i dont even go to 442.
But saying hey they do it too. Or they did it first is not an answer to my question?
Im confused by your approach to simply say what i said with afl and soccer swapping out? Are you saying its fine because they do it?

Who can forget Simon Hill having a whinge that government spending goes toward NRL and AFL as opposed to Soccer
Once upon a time I had a little bit of respect for Simon Hill when he used to say he didn't comment on AFL...but lately, almost every article his written in response to a typical soccer controversy (e.g. flares, diving etc) he somehow sneaks a few AFL references in there to badmouth.
The comparison with racism in the AFL is rubbish when you consider the AFL has a total attendance about 5 times bigger, with perhaps one or two incidents a year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back