Play Nice 2018 Non AFL Admin, Crowds, Ratings, Participation etc thread

Remove this Banner Ad

If advertisers see your regional viewers as being of less value due to the nature of the market, then they are of less value.

Its the TV moguls that put a value on the NRL rights & pay big money for Origin - the winner of the rights does a deal with regional operators. The advertising rates in each of the areas covered by the ratings obviously attract different rates for advertisers in individual areas, the stronger the viewing numbers (including those 1m + you describe as not worth anything), the greater the demand by advertisers, the higher the rates charged.

You can be sure the strength of the Origin viewership in NNSW would obviously surpass Perth/WA or Adelaide/SA, and for you to claim 1m viewers is not of value is nonsense:
1M viewers on fte isn't worth anything

FFS Kwality, take it in context.

He's saying it's all subjective depending on the advertiser. 1m TV viewers in Australia *is* worth nothing to, say, Home Depot in the US.

Point taken, ignoring in this case that the dollars for the rights are valued & paid for by the TV moguls - the advertisers have always paid different rates in different markets, & the NNSW regional market ..... Origin is unique to the NRL & potentially the reason the NRL TV rights track around the same $value as the AFL to the chagrin of many of the AFL cheerleader set who only know the capital cities market.

I see the Crows/Cats last night pulled 738,000 on FTA capital market & 173k in the regionals ...

Its the TV moguls that put a value on the NRL rights & pay big money for Origin - the winner of the rights does a deal with regional operators. The advertising rates in each of the areas covered by the ratings obviously attract different rates for advertisers in individual areas, the stronger the viewing numbers (including those 1m + you describe as not worth anything), the greater the demand by advertisers, the higher the rates charged.

You can be sure the strength of the Origin viewership in NNSW would obviously surpass Perth/WA or Adelaide/SA, and for you to claim 1m viewers is not of value is nonsense:
In the absence of advertisers, 1 FTA viewer is worth $0.00. 1 million FTA viewers is worth $0.00. If advertisers are willing to pay 10c per eyeball, 1 million viewers is worth $100 000. If advertisers are willing to pay 1 quarter per eyeball for regional viewers compared to metro viewers, then 1 million FTA regional viewers are worth 250 000 metro viewers. This is not controversial, or difficult, or cheerleading, its just how it is.

In the absence of advertisers, 1 FTA viewer is worth $0.00. 1 million FTA viewers is worth $0.00. If advertisers are willing to pay 10c per eyeball, 1 million viewers is worth $100 000. If advertisers are willing to pay 1 quarter per eyeball for regional viewers compared to metro viewers, then 1 million FTA regional viewers are worth 250 000 metro viewers. This is not controversial, or difficult, or cheerleading, its just how it is.

Good to hear you understand why the NRL rights are so viable, viewers with 4 out 5 of the best rating games being NRL, only the GF making it year on year for the AFL.

Good to hear you understand why the NRL rights are so viable, viewers with 4 out 5 of the best rating games being NRL, only the GF making it year on year for the AFL.

But do you?

The nrl rights are disproportionately driven by the SOO series (usually) pulling 3 of the biggest metro ratings each year

They still fall significantly short of the afl rights value in spite of this

Your are sort of coming up with the exception that proves the rule. Bunnings is ubiquitous, I live in regional WA and we have 2 here (Bunbury), Busselton has 1, Dunsborough possibly, but even for Bunnings, most of the other towns in the area do not. They may have a chain hardware store, or even the local hardware guy, but not a Bunnings.

So even ubiquitous Bunnings get less bang for the buck here, and how many ubiquitous chains are there?

Supermarkets? but lots of 1 supermarket towns around here.
Big W, Target, K mart? Again, all of them are here, some are in Busselton, Dunsborough, maybe Margaret River, but that's it.

Fast food? All of them here and bigger towns, but as horrifying as it may seem, plenty of communities around here do not have them all, some have none.

Next time you go on a drive through whatever big city you are in, check out all the businesses you pass, and ask yourself, should they be advertising in Lithgow? Because unless Lithgow is a shitload bigger than I think it is, 9 times out of 10, or more, it's No.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk
Clearly it's the product. To a company like coke it would simply be a headcount of viewers to understand the value of advertising. Those kind of product ads are a large part of the market. Even the very remote areas would be ordering online these days.

The difference is businesses where a lot of the Regional Business who like to advertise to their market dont have the money the Woolworths and Bunnings have.

But do you?

The nrl rights are disproportionately driven by the SOO series (usually) pulling 3 of the biggest metro ratings each year

They still fall significantly short of the afl rights value in spite of this

& the good Jatz suggested a mil+ Origin viewers wasnt worth anything - not sure I welcome your support?
Clearly Origin has something going for it .... & its the TV moguls that put up the money.

& the good Jatz suggested a mil+ Origin viewers wasnt worth anything - not sure I welcome your support?
Clearly Origin has something going for it .... & its the TV moguls that put up the money.

No. He didn’t suggest that.

It had to happen but will it save RL?
There are about 280,000 Pacific islanders in Australia but they now dominate both the Rugbys in numbers that are way higher than their % of our population.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Going backwards with non Islander kids giving up on the game and playing other sports more suited to their body types.
:thumbsu:

Its always a bit puzzling for me how Jarryd Hayne is an international for both Fiji & Aus. Shades of the AFL with noted Qld talent Jason Dunstall playing Origin for Victoria & the excuses paraded to justify the decision, or Kepler Wessels representing both Aus & South Africa in cricket.

Dally M Fullback of the Year - Billy Slater (Melbourne Storm)

Dally M Winger of the Year - Jordan Rapana (Canberra Raiders)

Dally M Centre of the Year - Dylan Walker (Manly Sea Eagles)

Dally M Five-eighth of the Year - Gareth Widdop (St. George Illawarra Dragons)

Dally M Halfback of the Year - Michael Morgan (North Queensland Cowboys)

Dally M Prop of the Year - Aaron Woods (West Tigers)

Dally M Second-rower of the Year - Matt Gillett (Brisbane Broncos)

Dally M Lock of the Year - Paul Gallen (Cronulla Sharks)

Dally M Hooker of the Year - Cameron Smith (Melbourne Storm)

Dally M Interchange of the Year - Reagan Campbell-Gillard (Penrith Panthers)

Dally M Fullback of the Year - Billy Slater (Melbourne Storm)

Dally M Winger of the Year - Jordan Rapana (Canberra Raiders)

Dally M Centre of the Year - Dylan Walker (Manly Sea Eagles)

Dally M Five-eighth of the Year - Gareth Widdop (St. George Illawarra Dragons)

Dally M Halfback of the Year - Michael Morgan (North Queensland Cowboys)

Dally M Prop of the Year - Aaron Woods (West Tigers)

Dally M Second-rower of the Year - Matt Gillett (Brisbane Broncos)

Dally M Lock of the Year - Paul Gallen (Cronulla Sharks)

Dally M Hooker of the Year - Cameron Smith (Melbourne Storm)

Dally M Interchange of the Year - Reagan Campbell-Gillard (Penrith Panthers)
So, RL do not give chocolates to Islanders?

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Rugby League doesnt need saving. Its doing just fine. Not everyone has to explode.
I dont think its doing fine just ticking over or stagnating is more the case.
They were hoping to have ave crowds of 20,000 by now and are a long way off that figure.
Lets see if they are game to put teams in Adelaide and Perth and live up to the "national" in their name.

They were hoping to have ave crowds of 20,000 by now and are a long way off that figure.

I don’t recall them making any such statement, but if they did I would love to see a link to it.

Such as statement would be akin to Soccer’s “we want to be Number 1” statement by Gallop

I don’t recall them making any such statement, but if they did I would love to see a link to it.

Such as statement would be akin to Soccer’s “we want to be Number 1” statement by Gallop
A bit of googling revealed quite a few references to the statement made by John Grant in Oct 2012, amongst which was to have average crowds over 20,000 by 2017. Here's one such link -
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/is...concern-every-league-fan-20170807-gxr6uj.html

Remove this Banner Ad

Back