Play Nice 2018 Non AFL Admin, Crowds, Ratings, Participation etc thread

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
The Thunder are the perfect example. Why are they called the Sydney Thunder, and another team called the Sydney 6ers. There was no point of difference, outside colours, logo or where they played. Why not call the Thunder, West Sydney Thunder(one of the better mascots chosen) and create a bigger point of difference and give it some loyalty to the stadium and its place in Sydney. In saying that, I think the Thunder are going as good, if not better, than the 6ers.

Mmmm

Apart from colours logo and the name Thunder, what differentiation was possible?

Olympic Park is on the eastern side of the geographical centre of Sydney, so Western isn't necessarily appropriate. Unlike us they weren't specifically set up with junior zones to focus on a locality.

HavUEvaSeenTheRain

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Is there any information out there on BBL sponsorship deals?
I was just thinking the other night that now they split the BBL ratings for a game so that one game turns into two sessions, a BBL side pretty much get the same amount of TV viewers in one game than what an A League side would in an entire season.
Even if you don’t count the different sessions (which when comparing to a similar length game like Football you shouldn’t) they still would push many of the lowly AFL and NRL sides in yearly viewers.
I’m sure the short season hurts them but having the competition be so Micky Mouse could also bite them on the bum.

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
On the cane train crowds

That would account for a small drop off. Include the 20% decrease, which has happened everywhere and it would be about right.

It does show how marginal a Tassie sports team is though - and no doubt that's one of the reasons the AFL (and most other sporting comps) is so hesitant about a Tassie team. To compete they need to pretty much sell out every game given corporate support will probably always be at the lower end. And if there's a drop in crowds then the whole operation looks suspect. I don't know how the Canes financials stack up with consistent sub 10k crowds, but that's probably going to be the lowest in the league by a long way. Still, they've been one of the more competitive teams across the BBL's history and credit needs to go to the people that run them for that.

I always thought the BBL succeded despite the mismanagement of Cricket Australia. The mascots of the teams are stupid. The colours are stupid. They were marketing franchises with no connection to the area.

I agree with you, but we're all hardcore sports people on this forum. We're probably going to watch regardless.

Compare the BBL to the old state based T20 comp - it's chalk and cheese. I can tell you first hand that the engagement with kids is off the charts, so the soccer mums are on board as well. That's something that was never even on the horizon for a domestic cricket comp in history. Time will tell whether they'll be able to maintain it, but I have to say that the standard of the league this season has been pretty s**t. CA can't afford to neglect it.

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
It does show how marginal a Tassie sports team is though - and no doubt that's one of the reasons the AFL (and most other sporting comps) is so hesitant about a Tassie team. To compete they need to pretty much sell out every game given corporate support will probably always be at the lower end. And if there's a drop in crowds then the whole operation looks suspect. I don't know how the Canes financials stack up with consistent sub 10k crowds, but that's probably going to be the lowest in the league by a long way. Still, they've been one of the more competitive teams across the BBL's history and credit needs to go to the people that run them for that.

I agree with you, but we're all hardcore sports people on this forum. We're probably going to watch regardless.

Compare the BBL to the old state based T20 comp - it's chalk and cheese. I can tell you first hand that the engagement with kids is off the charts, so the soccer mums are on board as well. That's something that was never even on the horizon for a domestic cricket comp in history. Time will tell whether they'll be able to maintain it, but I have to say that the standard of the league this season has been pretty s**t. CA can't afford to neglect it.

it really took ch.10 to broadcast every match for the BBL to take off. The first couple of years were small fry compared to what it is now. Now, the kids take the parents. It is the most kid-friendly league in the nation and by some distance.

As for the Canes, they would have 1 big advantage compared to some other franchises. They basically own the stadium they play in. And I reckon, being v.closely linked to cricket Tas, they would have some cost-saving exercises compared to the 2 city franchises with certain staff.

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
Mmmm

Apart from colours logo and the name Thunder, what differentiation was possible?

Olympic Park is on the eastern side of the geographical centre of Sydney, so Western isn't necessarily appropriate. Unlike us they weren't specifically set up with junior zones to focus on a locality.
Perhaps they should have then......

I reckon if you did a poll on Thunder fans, a large % would be from the Western part of Sydney. just a guess, but since their stadia is west of the SCG, it would make sense.

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
As for the Canes, they would have 1 big advantage compared to some other franchises. They basically own the stadium they play in. And I reckon, being v.closely linked to cricket Tas, they would have some cost-saving exercises compared to the 2 city franchises with certain staff.

Cricket Tasmania has a direct lease with the Clarence City Council for Bellerive Oval. The lease is for 45 years commencing October 2001 and rent is payable at the rate of 0.89% of the gross audited revenue for the previous year.

Back