Rob

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
The minute they bring in relegation and one of the a-league clubs drops to the second division is the second the comp implodes. Imagine Melbourne City running around playing in Morwell etc. Victory would start war before they drop down - especially if South melb come up - victory would have no supporters overnight
Zero chance of relegation ever coming in, and I reckon it puts any prospects of automatic promotion on the backburner as well. Why would they admit clubs for free when they can sell licences and split the proceeds?

History (at least in Australian sport) shows that if you give clubs power, they vote for themselves. Which is fully understandable, but it's not necessarily going to be the best thing for the league or game.
As a recent example, look at what happened to the Western Force. Basically ganged up on by NSW and Queensland and sacrificed for their benefit. The game of rugby in WA was just collateral damage and of no importance to other states. In an A-League context the clubs that need to be worried are the small market teams that don't bring a lot to the table that the large clubs can benefit from.

RussellEbertHandball

Flick pass expert
Nov 16, 2004
SE Oz
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
The Mighty Blacks
Zero chance of relegation ever coming in, and I reckon it puts any prospects of automatic promotion on the backburner as well. Why would they admit clubs for free when they can sell licences and split the proceeds?

History (at least in Australian sport) shows that if you give clubs power, they vote for themselves. Which is fully understandable, but it's not necessarily going to be the best thing for the league or game.
As a recent example, look at what happened to the Western Force. Basically ganged up on by NSW and Queensland and sacrificed for their benefit. The game of rugby in WA was just collateral damage and of no importance to other states. In an A-League context the clubs that need to be worried are the small market teams that don't bring a lot to the table that the large clubs can benefit from.
Yep soccer in Oz will follow the MLS model not the EPL model, even when there is 50m people in the country. Expansion via licence sales rather than free promotion and relegation will be the future.

jatz14

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
Is the potential for real profit only sale of talent?
When there are leagues with as much cash as the European leagues, yes. However, will the A league clubs see any of it? A player can just quit his A league club, fly to Europe, and get signed by a European club, without the A league club getting a cent. Overseas leagues would have to agree to pay a transfer fee, as the A league has no means to require it. Not sure why they would.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Kwality

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 14, 2011
Tootgarook
AFL Club
West Coast
When there are leagues with as much cash as the European leagues, yes. However, will the A league clubs see any of it? A player can just quit his A league club, fly to Europe, and get signed by a European club, without the A league club getting a cent. Overseas leagues would have to agree to pay a transfer fee, as the A league has no means to require it. Not sure why they would.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk
I have no understanding of how transfers occur, I'd have thought its under a FIFA arrangement & include the A-League.

Victory was valued at $40m last year

Thats a lot of upside for anything associated with the A-League.

jatz14

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
I have no understanding of how transfers occur, I'd have thought its under a FIFA arrangement & include the A-League.

Its actually worse than that. Mooy at Melbourne City was signed by City group, they loaned him to Huddersfield (he never actually played for Manchester city), Huddersfield then signed him permanently, for 8 million pounds.

How much of that finds its way back to the A league? $0.00 If this trend continues, then the A league is a feeder league for comps like the Premier league. If European clubs sign Australian players, through subsidiaries, like City, or directly, then any transfer fees in Europe go to them. Nobody is paying 8 million pound to an A league club for a player, as there is no agreement between the comps re transfers. The really talented kids arent going to play for an A league team at all, they will go straight to England as juniors ( eg Kewell, who never played senior Soccer in Australia until after his Premier league career).

The A league, to the Premier league, is something like a NEAFL reserves comp to the AFL in terms of footy. This is why it will always struggle to make serious money, can you imagine the NEAFL reserves making serious money, regardless of how well its run? The bigger kids will always cut their lunch.

NoobPie

Premiership Player
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood

Melbourne victory wasn't valued at $40m. A small private equity transaction was extrapolated out by silly people into a $40m valuation

Kwality

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 14, 2011
Tootgarook
AFL Club
West Coast
Its actually worse than that. Mooy at Melbourne City was signed by City group, they loaned him to Huddersfield (he never actually played for Manchester city), Huddersfield then signed him permanently, for 8 million pounds.

How much of that finds its way back to the A league? $0.00 If this trend continues, then the A league is a feeder league for comps like the Premier league. If European clubs sign Australian players, through subsidiaries, like City, or directly, then any transfer fees in Europe go to them. Nobody is paying 8 million pound to an A league club for a player, as there is no agreement between the comps re transfers. The really talented kids arent going to play for an A league team at all, they will go straight to England as juniors ( eg Kewell, who never played senior Soccer in Australia until after his Premier league career).

The A league, to the Premier league, is something like a NEAFL reserves comp to the AFL in terms of footy. This is why it will always struggle to make serious money, can you imagine the NEAFL reserves making serious money, regardless of how well its run? The bigger kids will always cut their lunch.
So the owner of the A-League club got the money? If he went to Huddersfield from Victory say, no one would get a penny?
Sure destroys my theory on how Victory is worth $40m, must be missing something.

Kwality

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 14, 2011
Tootgarook
AFL Club
West Coast
Melbourne victory wasn't valued at $40m. A small private equity transaction was extrapolated out by silly people into a $40m valuation
I've got respect for the journo concerned, his AFR work tells me he knows numbers.

Last edited:

NoobPie

Premiership Player
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
I've got respect for the journo concerned, his AFR work tells me he knows numbers.
Cool, don't let actually factual explanation get in the way of your ad verecundiam

Do you know why they call journos hacks?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

NoobPie

Premiership Player
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Oooooh, poor ratings for the NRL last night

319K all up on the metros implying 34K across Melbourne, Perth and Adelaide for a Storm match with no AFL game on

Smashed by the front bar again!

HavUEvaSeenTheRain

Premiership Player
Apr 20, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Oooooh, poor ratings for the NRL last night

319K all up on the metros implying 34K across Melbourne, Perth and Adelaide for a Storm match with no AFL game on

Smashed by the front bar again!

View attachment 703468
The front bar nearly got more in Brisbane and Sydney that the NRL got in Melbourne, Perth and Adelaide.
I watched the game and the lack of crowd and atmosphere really killed it last night. It felt like watching a VFL game. It’s amazing how a lack of atmosphere at the ground affects you even watching on the couch.
The reason I hate channel 7 and the lack of crowd noise on the broadcast

NoobPie

Premiership Player
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
The front bar nearly got more in Brisbane and Sydney that the NRL got in Melbourne, Perth and Adelaide.
I watched the game and the lack of crowd and atmosphere really killed it last night. It felt like watching a VFL game. It’s amazing how a lack of atmosphere at the ground affects you even watching on the couch.
The reason I hate channel 7 and the lack of crowd noise on the broadcast
Channel 7 need to reduce the sound of the crowd due to the importance of letting the noise coming out of BT and Bruce's mouths....it is not at all self-indulgent

RussellEbertHandball

Flick pass expert
Nov 16, 2004
SE Oz
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
The Mighty Blacks
The_Wookie I have a question re ratings that I only picked up the other day.

7's footy coverage numbers has the 7mate figures for Sydney and Brisbane in with the 7 main channel numbers for the other 3 markets, yet 9's NRL numbers always have 0 for Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth - note for NRL games not SoO games, yet they show these NRL games on 9Gem in those 3 markets.

Why is this so? Are the numbers that poor that they register a 0? Hard to believe given I've seen multichannel numbers as low as 8,000 in different markets in the top 20 programs figures on the multi-channels.

The_Wookie

Queenslander
Jul 2, 2010
Launceston
AFL Club
Carlton
The_Wookie I have a question re ratings that I only picked up the other day.

7's footy coverage numbers has the 7mate figures for Sydney and Brisbane in with the 7 main channel numbers for the other 3 markets, yet 9's NRL numbers always have 0 for Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth - note for NRL games not SoO games, yet they show these NRL games on 9Gem in those 3 markets.

Why is this so? Are the numbers that poor that they register a 0? Hard to believe given I've seen multichannel numbers as low as 8,000 in different markets in the top 20 programs figures on the multi-channels.
No one seems to be really sure. Nine can code the programming the same way as 7 do combining primary and secondary channels, but they dont for some reason even though some of their GEM ratings for the cricket would make the overall top 20. Its worth noting that Wimbledon did make the top 20 despite being on 7two.

NoobPie

Premiership Player
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Origin ripper 80k+ midweek.
You'd say its pretty unsurprising that the biggest sporting event of the year in a city of 5 million gets 80K.....but then you remember that the 6th biggest crowd at an NRL game in Sydney this year is a miserable 21,650 and you think, year 80K is pretty good considering

Kwality

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 14, 2011
Tootgarook
AFL Club
West Coast
You'd say its pretty unsurprising that the biggest sporting event of the year in a city of 5 million gets 80K.....but then you remember that the 6th biggest crowd at an NRL game in Sydney this year is a miserable 21,650 and you think, year 80K is pretty good considering
Thats your tryhard attempt to put down a rival code, but that is your constant approach thru your narrow focus.

Top Bottom