Play Nice 2018 Non AFL Admin, Crowds, Ratings, Participation etc thread

Remove this Banner Ad

The a-league has started buying advertorials (ie adverts pretending to be articles) on news ltd sites extolling the virtues of its competition.

The a-league has started buying advertorials (ie adverts pretending to be articles) on news ltd sites extolling the virtues of its competition.

This has been going on for months (news ltd inserting ads)

City of melbourne had one for months after the gf promoting sports tourism leading up to the aus open

Nbl had a thing for a while

Epl had one (assume it was the ptv operator funding it)

Cruise industry had a spin for a bit

Its annoying, because in mobile format the adverts replace an actual news article

Well that must cost them a bit and thus seems to reeks of bottom of the barrel desperation.

Why would the A-League feel the need to do that? IMO it only (further?) damages whatever reputation they have.

Well that must cost them a bit and thus seems to reeks of bottom of the barrel desperation.

Why would the A-League feel the need to do that? IMO it only (further?) damages whatever reputation they have.

Not that expensive actually - online isnt a huge premium in australia yet

Yep their crowds and ratings have dropped away over the past few weeks. The BBL and now the Tennis is killing the soccer.

There are only so many sports fans to go around and the A League also seems to be on the nose with many of their traditional fans this season

IMHO any sport that has to run ads is in trouble and they very rarely work. If the public dont want your product advertising it is just a waste of money.

Yep their crowds and ratings have dropped away over the past few weeks. The BBL and now the Tennis is killing the soccer.

There are only so many sports fans to go around and the A League also seems to be on the nose with many of their traditional fans this season

IMHO any sport that has to run ads is in trouble and they very rarely work. If the public dont want your product advertising it is just a waste of money.
Is there a sport in this country that doesn't advertise it's product? I think you'll find they all use a variety of different mediums, and heavily.

Is there a sport in this country that doesn't advertise it's product? I think you'll find they all use a variety of different mediums, and heavily.

Yes but the best advertisement is the Game itself and in the space the AFL is miles ahead of the pack week in week out during the season.

BTW most of the ads are contra not paid for by the sports themselves and thats why Foxtel pushes the Aleague so hard as they are their #1 broadcaster now..

See. Told ya

Post an innocuous criticism of the A League and BobbyMorri will respond within 30 minutes getting all defensive...

Sports advertise for season launches, particular matches etc. I've not seen these A League ads but if they are generic ads extolling the merits of following the A League in an attempt to turnaround its tanking popularity mid season than, you're right, it is very unlikely to have any effect

The A League is at a cross roads in a maze at the base of a dark valley I'm afraid

See. Told ya

Post an innocuous criticism of the A League and BobbyMorri will respond within 30 minutes getting all defensive...

Sports advertise for season launches, particular matches etc. I've not seen these A League ads but if they are generic ads extolling the merits of following the A League in an attempt to turnaround its tanking popularity mid season than, you're right, it is very unlikely to have any effect

The A League is at a cross roads in a maze at the base of a dark valley I'm afraid
i've read that some believe relegation will revive the a-league. maybe, but imagine the chaos if victory or wanderers got dropped and wound up playing in second division. the sports big backers arent going to pour money into these franchises if there's a risk they'll be relegated and be running around playing in Morwell on a thrursday night in front of 300 people.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes but the best advertisement is the Game itself and in the space the AFL is miles ahead of the pack week in week out during the season.

BTW most of the ads are contra not paid for by the sports themselves and thats why Foxtel pushes the Aleague so hard as they are their #1 broadcaster now..
I saw some advertisements during the tennis for the AFL. Surely there is no need to advertise if the game sells itself. Stuff the marketing budget, the AFL could save millions just by ignoring this key aspect.

Seriously......of all things you could criticise the A-league for, you target that it is advertising the game to more people. up there with one of the trollful things i have ever read.

i've read that some believe relegation will revive the a-league. maybe, but imagine the chaos if victory or wanderers got dropped and wound up playing in second division. the sports big backers arent going to pour money into these franchises if there's a risk they'll be relegated and be running around playing in Morwell on a thrursday night in front of 300 people.

This is the FFA's biggest problem in my view. They serve what is largely constituted by a thoroughly deluded group of core fans who see some path to mega growth by mimicking english soccer

The idea that supporters of these franchises will, for the most part, follow them down to some hypothetical second division is based on the flawed assumption about the bulk of their support. A club like Aston Villa has 140 years of generational support in a city where there is literally nothing else but soccer. The only real alternative is to become TV follower of one of the big 6 clubs.

The FFA has no money and small supporter base that is desperate for radical change that will almost certainly destroy it if implemented... It is pretty much the opposite to the AFL's situation - drenched in coin and with a massive supporter base that is overwhelmingly hostile to change.

To be fair the FFA is its own worst enemy at times in raising expectations https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2013/10/08/gallop-says-football-will-be-number-one

Last edited:
I saw some advertisements during the tennis for the AFL. Surely there is no need to advertise if the game sells itself. Stuff the marketing budget, the AFL could save millions just by ignoring this key aspect.

Seriously......of all things you could criticise the A-league for, you target that it is advertising the game to more people. up there with one of the trollful things i have ever read.

. Total BS the AFL ads will be part of the contra deal they have with CH 7 and fox sports so they dont cost them any money

Its about the TV channels trying to get more viewers than anything else and making people aware that the 2018 season is almost upon us.

is there an AFL season going on right now? That'd be news to me.....

. Total BS the AFL ads will be part of the contra deal they have with CH 7 and fox sports so they dont cost them any money

Its about the TV channels trying to get more viewers than anything else and making people aware that the 2018 season is almost upon us.
haha.

Fairly sure these North Melbourne ads aren't being paid for by ch.7. Or the Hemsworth ad last year. And I am sure the AFL has never ever brought any internet or newspaper ads for advertorials. (that's sarcasm) if they didnt, then the AFL wouldnt have a marketing budget,,,,,

So let me get this straight. People, on an AFL crowds thread(so doubly irrelevant), are criticising the A-league for running ads during the season, despite the fact that getting the word out is generally good publicity and the fact that every business in the world does the same thing. so i go to my original post again. Seriously.

okay, we will all be ready to criticise the AFL for running an AFL finals campaign then. The "context" is all wrong. (sarcasm again)'

haha.

Fairly sure these North Melbourne ads aren't being paid for by ch.7. Or the Hemsworth ad last year. And I am sure the AFL has never ever brought any internet or newspaper ads for advertorials. (that's sarcasm) if they didnt, then the AFL wouldnt have a marketing budget,,,,,

So let me get this straight. People, on an AFL crowds thread(so doubly irrelevant), are criticising the A-league for running ads during the season, despite the fact that getting the word out is generally good publicity and the fact that every business in the world does the same thing. so i go to my original post again. Seriously.

okay, we will all be ready to criticise the AFL for running an AFL finals campaign then. The "context" is all wrong. (sarcasm again)'

Well they dont seem to be working as the "Big Blue" that was well promoted on TV between Victory and Sydney could only pull 21,000 to AAMI tonight.The game the night before could also only pull 7700 at the same venue
The girls game curtain raiser was lucky to have had a 1000 watching so much for the massive interest in female soccer.

Well they dont seem to be working as the "Big Blue" that was well promoted on TV between Victory and Sydney could only pull 21,000 to AAMI tonight.The game the night before could also only pull 7700 at the same venue
The girls game curtain raiser was lucky to have had a 1000 watching so much for the massive interest in female soccer.

Serious? There were 6,000 there apparently!

https://www.w-league.com.au/match/m...-v-sydney-fc-women-w-league-26-01-2018/955146

Same thing with the Western Bulldogs and Carlton AFLW practice match last weekend in Ballarat. A spokeswoman on Bendigo radio station 1078 said it was a staggering success with around 7k in attendance, I knew someone who went and said it would be lucky to be 800-900. Match photos online back that up.

Girlsplayfooty radio said 3000-3500 during commentary - and photos from the day appear to back that up.

The AFL normally does its own promo, while Seven and Foxfooty generally run their own as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back