Play Nice 2018 Non AFL Admin, Crowds, Ratings, Participation etc thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Did anyone think the 37,000 posted crowd for the T20 at SCG looked way over? Going on Swans crowds there it would have been barely 30K
The members wasnt even full which it is for most Swans matches and there were thousands of seats vacant all around the stadium..

Did anyone think the 37,000 posted crowd for the T20 at SCG looked way over? Going on Swans crowds there it would have been barely 30K
The members wasnt even full which it is for most Swans matches and there were thousands of seats vacant all around the stadium..
37k looked right. Excluding the members areas, the ground was at least 95% full (was officially a sell out). Obviously there were many vacant seats in the members, but 37k seemed right. A Swans crowd of 37k is going to look different as the empty seats are more evenly spread, rather than clustered in one spot.

8163 actually, though they have the oval excuse and will have their new Parramatta stadium before too long.

More worryingly, they were thumped by the WBBL on Foxtel (84k to 41k) even though the WBBL was also on FTA.

41k is pretty bad for Friday night isn't it? If the WBBL does that to them imagine what the numbers are going to be once the BBL starts.

Looking at the broader landscape, it seems to me that the A-League had a window of opportunity to get money off Fox: They needed a summer sport to push through subscriptions, lost the EPL, didn't get the tennis, and then they got the cricket.

If Cricket - even the WBBL - gets those numbers, that diminishes the importance of the A-League for Foxtel

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The NRL dosent have a massive female fan base like the AFL so thats another reason it dosent hurt them as much.

You don’t think that the culture is exactly one of the big reasons it doesn’t have as big a female following and hence challenging the AFL? I would say it’s been hurting them for a long time.

I find it amazing that they seem to continually let these players off the hook for their actions, but on the other hand I still have to put up with Wayne “glassed his partner” Carey on commentary every week, so:oops:.

Yep the bogans that follow and and promote the NRL dont seem to care and just put it down to "boys will be boys"

The NRL dosent have a massive female fan base like the AFL so thats another reason it dosent hurt them as much.
I have seen a difference in female engement in NRL and the AFL traditionally. I think it's changing with the rest of the communities values though. That might actually be the pressure point for the NRL. The boys club is surrounded, and circling the wagons may not work anymore.

Beatty putting out that all codes should ban players, seems a bit of a desperate attempt to sling some of the mud around.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Looks like the opening Big Bash game in Brisbane will get to only early to mid 20K's.

Rural & regional Qld. have always been, & generally still are, the biggest strongholds of GR RL in Australia. GR AF is only strong in SE Qld, & the Cairns district- but AF is now also making inroads into rural & regional Qld.

The Central Burnett (Central Qld) adult RL comp. is in danger of folding in 2019. Very few small towns have a junior RL team, nor do their schools play RL. This is becoming increasingly common.

https://www.centralnorthburnetttimes.com.au/news/gavin-ford-its-looking-very-grim/3503739/

Mundubbera RL Club President says GR RL does not have enough volunteers to sustain GR RL, & " The local school has AFL posts on the sports oval. It's disheartening".
Local CNBT journalist M.Colahan wrote on 30.8.18 "Not long ago, Aussie Rules goal posts on outback ovals in Queensland and New South Wales would have been considered blasphemy. Today it's all too common".

This GR RL nos. decline in rural & regional Qld. & NSW is very likely to continue.

https://www.centralnorthburnetttime...gby-league-currently-weakest-ive-see/3507480/

NRL legend Mal Meninga has joined "...the chorus of influential voices who fear for the future of rugby league in the bush". Meninga said "Its a problem in all regional areas". He has also said RL has insufficient volunteers to sustain clubs- "without them, the sport will die".

The CNBT journalist has written "...rugby league comes under threat from less contact-heavy alternatives- soccer and AFL".

https://www.centralnorthburnetttimes.com.au/news/custodians-of-the-game-its-time-to-step-up/3498267/

The NRL are disguising the long term decline of GR male RL players in NSW, Qld, & the ACT by including the huge numbers of males & females playing touch/tag (non contact !) in the "Rugby League" (sic) TOTAL participant nos.
RL "...participation numbers are embellished by the growth of...touch football...".

NRL CEO Todd Greenberg "When asked what he believed was the BIGGEST (my emphasis) threat to the sport, he said without hesitation "Grassroots participation and long term sustainability".

https://www.centralnorthburnetttime...-league-in-the-bush-on-borrowed-time/3498233/

GR AF is also in decline in some very small towns and rural areas in Vic., WA. SA, & Tas. (NT is seemingly booming nearly everywhere, though). This is mainly due to declining populations, related to lack of job/education/training opportunities.

Last edited:
Rural & regional Qld. have always been, & generally still are, the biggest strongholds of GR RL in Australia. GR AF is only strong in SE Qld, & the Cairns district- but AF is now also making inroads into rural & regional Qld.

The Central Burnett (Central Qld) adult RL comp. is in danger of folding in 2019. Very few small towns have a junior RL team, nor do their schools play RL. This is becoming increasingly common.

https://www.centralnorthburnetttimes.com.au/news/gavin-ford-its-looking-very-grim/3503739/

Mundubbera RL Club President says RL does not have enough volunteers to sustain GR RL, & " The local school has AFL posts on the sports oval. It's disheartening".
Local CNBT journalist M.Colahan wrote on 30.8.18 "Not long ago, Aussie Rules goal posts on outback ovals in Queensland and New South Wales would have been considered blasphemy. Today it's all too common".

https://www.centralnorthburnetttime...gby-league-currently-weakest-ive-see/3507480/

NRL legend Mal Meninga has joined "...the chorus of influential voices who fear for the future of rugby league in the bush". Meninga said "Its a problem in all regional areas". He has also said RL has insufficient volunteers to sustain clubs- "without them, the sport will die".

The CNBT journalist has written "...rugby league comes under threat from less contact-heavy alternatives- soccer and AFL".

https://www.centralnorthburnetttimes.com.au/news/custodians-of-the-game-its-time-to-step-up/3498267/

The NRL are disguising the long term decline of GR male RL players in NSW, Qld, & the ACT by including the huge numbers playing touch/tag (non contact !) in the total "Rugby League" (sic) participant nos.

NRL CEO Todd Greenberg "When asked what he believed was the BIGGEST (my emphasis) threat to the sport, he said without hesitation "Grassroots participation and long term sustainability".

https://www.centralnorthburnetttime...-league-in-the-bush-on-borrowed-time/3498233/

GR AF is also in decline in some very small towns and rural areas in Vic., WA. SA, & Tas. (NT is booming nearly everywhere, though). This is mainly due to declining populations, related to lack of job opportunities.
Population decline/ageing is the biggest thing. I live in Swan Hill and I think the game is just as popular as ever and it wouldn’t surprise me if we lose 4-5 clubs to either mergers or folding in the next 2-3 years. Junior’s have also dropped an age group out recently. There just isn’t the people around anymore.
Reading about the Tongan’s saving their RL club is also happen in the Riverina. Most people moving to these towns are foreign farm workers and unfortunately AF doesn’t have this opportunity in regional areas because the farm workers are simply not from football backgrounds.

Reading about the Tongan’s saving their RL club is also happen in the Riverina. Most people moving to these towns are foreign farm workers and unfortunately AF doesn’t have this opportunity in regional areas because the farm workers are simply not from football backgrounds.
Please define "foreign".

(1) Can you provide a rough estimate of the overall % of "foreign workers" (cf true locals) playing adult male RL in the Riverina?
(eg About 15% of all male RL players in the Riverina are foreign workers?)
(2) Ditto a rough estimate of "non- foreign" workers who are brought in to play RL in the Riverina?

(3) Do Riverina RL clubs find full time jobs for these foreign workers before they move to the Riverina?
(4) Ditto non-foreign workers?

(5) Do the foreign workers live in the Riverina permanently- or only for the winter RL season?
(6) Ditto non-foreign workers?

(7) Are the foreign workers, brought in to play RL, being paid by the RL clubs? If so, any idea on average amount?
(8) Ditto non-foreign workers?

Please define "foreign".

(1) Can you provide a rough estimate of the overall % of "foreign workers" (cf true locals) playing adult male RL in the Riverina?
(eg About 15% of all male RL players in the Riverina are foreign workers?)
(2) Ditto a rough estimate of "non- foreign" workers who are brought in to play RL in the Riverina?

(3) Do Riverina RL clubs find full time jobs for these foreign workers before they move to the Riverina?
(4) Ditto non-foreign workers?

(5) Do the foreign workers live in the Riverina permanently- or only for the winter RL season?
(6) Ditto non-foreign workers?

(7) Are the foreign workers, brought in to play RL, being paid by the RL clubs? If so, any idea on average amount?
(8) Ditto non-foreign workers?
I’m sure there are a lot more informed people than me but I have a clients who are from Hay, Hilston and Griffith including some who are very involved and from what they tell me they have plenty of Tongan’s who are on what I presume are 457 visa’s who work on the farms in the local areas. Pretty much as soon as any young strong looking bloke hits town they are brought down to the clubs for a run around. If they can play at all they are given a game and some very well paid others won’t be paid. The clubs also love the full Australian citizen islanders because they will do work that the average Australian won’t so they can recruit them easily to these rural towns and set them up with work. You just can’t do this with the vast majority of people. I’ve been told that some teams would be two thirds islanders.
The Bloke from Griffith said plenty come for the seasonal work and end up moving to the region full time as they are helped by people envolved in the club to get full time work and ultimately citizenship. They see them as a god send for the towns. They are engaged with the community because of sport and they are working in an area which they struggle to find workers in. He also told me some farmers try to only take Islander’s instead of Asians because of this very reason.
Compare it to my town Swan Hill but more so Robinvale who have massive Asian and Islander populations which some people don’t even know exist because they are just not seen or envolved in the community because they have no interest in football.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back