Play Nice 2019 Non AFL Admin, Crowds, Ratings, Participation etc thread

Remove this Banner Ad

The fact that the Stars and Renegades have barely ever looked like winning the thing can’t help, Stars get gutted by international call ups every year as well.

Why exclude the Derby when the biggest advantage of having two team cities are because of Derby’s.
This is true, but Derbies effectively have 2 sets of home fans attend, so in a comparison of how well supported teams are, they are a distortion.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Half of NRL and AFL games are Derbies.
Yes, and if comparing sports, they should be included, as they are a normal part of that sport. In the context of the original post, it is arguable that as they were talking about the appeal of the BBL, then they should be included. However, if you are trying to draw a baseline on the sorts of pull BBL teams have, then they are a bit misleading. There isn't a right answer, you just need to be aware of the data you are using, and its implications.

More than 30k for the Brisbane Heat last night. Shows the folly of moving 2 games to the Gold Coast.

For home ground scheduled games Adelaide’s average attendance is 36k (4 games), Perth 40k (2 games) and Brisbane 29k (2 games). That’s very decent.

It’s Melbourne and Sydney which are stinking it up. This is where the problems lie and why I argue the 2 teams things has failed.

Thunder average 13k (3 games), Sixers 20k (2 games), Stars exc Derby 25k (1 game), Renegades 19k (3 games).

Last year both Melbourne clubs averaged around 30k with the 2 Sydney clubs 25k and 15k. Other than the Thunder their crowds were pretty comparable.

You reckon calling it a failure because of a couple of games this season might be a bit of an overreaction?

More than 30k for the Brisbane Heat last night. Shows the folly of moving 2 games to the Gold Coast.

For home ground scheduled games Adelaide’s average attendance is 36k (4 games), Perth 40k (2 games) and Brisbane 29k (2 games). That’s very decent.

It’s Melbourne and Sydney which are stinking it up. This is where the problems lie and why I argue the 2 teams things has failed.

Thunder average 13k (3 games), Sixers 20k (2 games), Stars exc Derby 25k (1 game), Renegades 19k (3 games).

Wheres Tassies avg?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

51.9% in those 5 cities. Doesnt count regional - Newcastle, Gold Coast, Geelong, Launceston, Ballarat, Mudgee, Alice Springs, Tamworth, Bathurst, Townsville, Cairns or Hobart and Darwin.

Ah, of course. I just divided the AFL aggregate (7.59m) into the 13.6m

Just looking at the STV ratings from yesterday

The second innings of the ODI got 405K. I would have thought foxtel and CA would be stoked with those numbers.

The Socceroos got just 49K for its last group stage game in the Asian cup. It was on a midnight but it sure does demonstrate the gaping chasm between Socceroos-at-the-world-cup support and their general support

The Roar v Victory game got 26K. Prime time on a Tuesday night.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

E
Just looking at the STV ratings from yesterday

The second innings of the ODI got 405K. I would have thought foxtel and CA would be stoked with those numbers.

The Socceroos got just 49K for its last group stage game in the Asian cup. It was on a midnight but it sure does demonstrate the gaping chasm between Socceroos-at-the-world-cup support and their general support

The Roar v Victory game got 26K. Prime time on a Tuesday night.
Seems huge! What’s the biggest AFL or NRL game I wonder?

E

Seems huge! What’s the biggest AFL or NRL game I wonder?

Biggest AFL games I can find is

1. Richmond v GWS Prelim 2017 at 552,000.
2. Richmond v Collingwood Prelim 2018 at 545,000
3. GWS v Bulldogs Prelim 2016 at 534,000.

Best NRL game i can find is 486,000 in R26, 2016 for Cronulla v Melbourne to decide the minor premiership.

Best NRL game i can find is 486,000 in R26, 2016 for Cronulla v Melbourne to decide the minor premiership.
Thanks Wookie

I fully understand us appearing twice in the top 3. Who wouldn't want to watch the Giants in action.

I'm feeling like a broken record on this. The BBL needs to be shorter. Start it a little bit earlier (mid December) so the tournament is really in the public eye before the Christmas/new year period. The final should be on Australia Day, before school starts again. It's sooooo lonnggg and that is making it boring.

I'm feeling like a broken record on this. The BBL needs to be shorter. Start it a little bit earlier (mid December) so the tournament is really in the public eye before the Christmas/new year period. The final should be on Australia Day, before school starts again. It's sooooo lonnggg and that is making it boring.

Fell for the more teams/games more money from TV thinking, stuff the quality of the product slipping.

Fell for the more teams/games more money from TV thinking, stuff the quality of the product slipping.
How does more games mean less quality. Lower quality comes from lower quality players, which is partly due to them not coming here anymore, because they can get very good money elsewhere.

Shorter season, less tv money equals even lower quality imports.

How does more games mean less quality. Lower quality comes from lower quality players, which is partly due to them not coming here anymore, because they can get very good money elsewhere.

You'd be right if there was no other competition, its not Aussie Rules.
Not gospel, but here is a start:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Twenty20_cricket_competitions

Its not as if Chris Gayle is twiddling his thumbs: cricket for Jamaica, and also represents the Kings XI Punjab in the Indian Premier League, the Karachi Kings in the Pakistan Super League, the Rangpur Riders in the Bangladesh Premier League, Jozi Stars in Mzansi Super League, Vancouver Knights in Global T20 Canada and the Balkh Legends in the Afghanistan Premier League.

Last edited:

More games means each game means less. The ladder is tight but it’s not as brutal. A loss won’t spell the end of your chances. Players are fractionally less desperate, fans don’t really care that much.
Less games also means bigger crowds because all the people that just want to go to 1 or 2 games will all be at the same few games.

More games means each game means less. The ladder is tight but it’s not as brutal. A loss won’t spell the end of your chances. Players are fractionally less desperate, fans don’t really care that much.
Less games also means bigger crowds because all the people that just want to go to 1 or 2 games will all be at the same few games.
Never saw a cricket game between poor teams look higher quality because they were more desperate, if anything, it drops in quality.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back