Play Nice 2019 Non AFL Admin, Crowds, Ratings, Participation etc thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Massive for the NRL to get a crowd in the high 20s even though it has next to zero chance of sustaining that

Yep, but can they repeat it is the question, might be the place to go for a while, how long is 'a while' for the fans of the rectangular field.
Got to say AAMI in Melbourne rocks at 25k+, you are so close to the field.

Yep, but can they repeat it is the question, might be the place to go for a while, how long is 'a while' for the fans of the rectangular field. Got to say AAMI in Melbourne rocks at 25k+, you are so close to the field.

Parramatta's draw will be a good test to see if they can keep it above 20k. Dragons, Panthers, Souths, and Brisbane are all teams which they should draw well against. Looks amazing on the tele and it seems very much AAMI like.

Parramatta's draw will be a good test to see if they can keep it above 20k. Dragons, Panthers, Souths, and Brisbane are all teams which they should draw well against. Looks amazing on the tele and it seems very much AAMI like.

Might do that this year but over time it will revert back towards what they used to pull at the old stadium except for games that used to approach a sell out.

History proves that new stadiums lead to a sustained increase for two reasons

1) the new stadium is in a better location
2) the old stadium was too small

Shiny new stadiums don't increase attendances in a significant way

I don't think I said a shiny new stadium was the key, in fact a winning Parramatta is far more important for the game. This side looks capable of finally being able to play finals, which in turn will naturally increase crowds, old stadium or new.

I don't think I said a shiny new stadium was the key, in fact a winning Parramatta is far more important for the game. This side looks capable of finally being able to play finals, which in turn will naturally increase crowds, old stadium or new.

Fair enough, wasn't disagreeing with you, was more making an observation of long term attendance impacts.

Form is probably the greatest determiner of crowds in the short term

In light of the successful start to their new stadium, Phil Gould has come out and said a consistantly winning Parramatta Eels could become the biggest sporting club in the country.

Thoughts?

In light of the successful start to their new stadium, Phil Gould has come out and said a consistantly winning Parramatta Eels could become the biggest sporting club in the country.

Thoughts?

That's a bit ambitious. They'd be a fair way off the biggest club in the NRL, let alone all Australian clubs...

Thoughts?

It's not the first time I've heard a rugby league club say they are aiming to be the biggest in the country.

If a massive club like the Broncos is miles off being the biggest in the country, I'm not sure how the Eels are going to manage it, certainly not by getting occasional 20k attendances.

Paramatta itself has undergone a huge demographic shift in the last two decades. Something like 40% of the Parramatta Council area is of Chinese, Indian or Korean ancestry, three populations that haven't exactly been breached when it comes to supporting any football code really. I don't think it's some sleeping giant or anything.

My take on it is that the fact they have essentially rebuilt their home stadium from the ground up yet still only made it 30k capacity means they dont realistically think they are going to attract the huge crowds that some AFL matches get.

To be called bigger than say Richmond or Collingwood they would expect to get the odd 70k-80k-90k regular season attendance. They know thet just going to get that, hence they only built the stadium about 5k more in capacity to what it originally was.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mediaweek twitter reported a 10k viewership on fox for Melb City Vs Mariners.

You have to wonder what kind of position the FFA are in for its next media rights deal in terms of leverage for negotiation.

You have to wonder what kind of position the FFA are in for its next media rights deal in terms of leverage for negotiation.

That Daniel Bossi in channel 9 newspapers has been getting fed something about channel 10 increasing its coverage next year. Hard not to assume this doesn't involve fox getting out of paying several million

Not very good you would think add to that the pathetic crowds the A League is now getting late in their season and they are in a world of pain!

My take on it is that the fact they have essentially rebuilt their home stadium from the ground up yet still only made it 30k capacity means they dont realistically think they are going to attract the huge crowds that some AFL matches get.

To be called bigger than say Richmond or Collingwood they would expect to get the odd 70k-80k-90k regular season attendance. They know thet just going to get that, hence they only built the stadium about 5k more in capacity to what it originally was.
Its just the usual Sydney media hubris look mines bigger than yours!
Wonder if they will mention the 6000 the NRL got at ANZ yesterday?

Its just the usual Sydney media hubris look mines bigger than yours!
Wonder if they will mention the 6000 the NRL got at ANZ yesterday?

It's been at least 5 years though since someone said Canterbury will be the biggest club in Australia

Paramatta itself has undergone a huge demographic shift in the last two decades. Something like 40% of the Parramatta Council area is of Chinese, Indian or Korean ancestry, three populations that haven't exactly been breached when it comes to supporting any football code really. I don't think it's some sleeping giant or anything.

When were the Eels halcyon days, 70s/80s?

Sized for the market, same as Perth, same as Adelaide ..... the Melbourne market, the MCG/Docklands are a different world, see calls for a boutique (aka smaller) stadium in an oversupplied AFL marketplace.

They are stuffed. There will be no tv competition next rights so FOX have them over a barrel.
Even if they try and get ahead of the curve and produce their own games and charge for streaming, they can charge stuff all otherwise it will turn people away when they can watch better standard soccer much cheaper from overseas not to mention pushing it further away from the mainstream which will hurt them with sponsorship, finding possible new fans ect.

The only hope I think they have is if someone like Optus or Telstra pick it up to try and gain more customers. Even than it seems interest is so low atm that it’s hard to see that ever being viable.
Gallop really took Fox to the cleaners last deal imo

I just wonder what that Fox guy who negotiated that deal is now doing ... perhaps delivering an uber order pizza near you ... or maybe just doing his Centrelink activity.

Definitely worth asking the question, when they announced a $346 mill deal, even when you are allow for all the usual qualifications, even back then, it looked like a very generous deal when you consider no one else was bidding.

Looks like the RU is in trouble in NSW with the main drawing team struggling to draw decent crowds

We're not going to give up': Waratahs boss on woeful Bankwest crowd
34ad8f546f8f9c0cf57a370962d0c72d67aa0b12
By Georgina Robinson SMH

April 28, 2019 — 6.03pm
\
The Waratahs have vowed to stay the course in western Sydney despite the shock of a dismal crowd at their first game at Parramatta's Bankwest Stadium on Saturday.

Only 10,605 went through the turnstiles to watch as NSW lost to the Sharks, making the 30,000-capacity venue barely over a third full only a few days after the sold-out Eels v Tigers NRL match.

Tough going: A poor home crowd piled insult on injury during the Waratahs' round-11 loss to the Sharks at the new Bankwest Stadium on Saturday night. CREDIT:AAP
Compounding matters was that it was the new stadium's first night game, a plum fixture meant to spearhead NSW Rugby's push into western Sydney.
"It was not where we would have liked it to have been," NSW boss Andrew Hore said.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back