Play Nice 2019 Non AFL Admin, Crowds, Ratings, Participation etc thread

The A-League has completed its regular season and the crowds have dropped to an average of 10,423 - the third worst out of the 14 seasons so far. The only years to have lower averages were in 2009/10 and 2010/11 when both Gold Coast and North Queensland were still struggling along in the league.

There should be a boost next season when WSW move into their new stadium.

1556496258173.png

On a club by club basis only Perth Glory had a decent year, recording their 2nd best home average in history. Melbourne Victory is still the highest drawing team by a country mile but had a poor year by their standards.

Melbourne City, Western Sydney and Central Coast had their lowest averages ever. Central Coast's figure of 5,562 is the lowest ever by a still existing club.

1556496909888.png

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
The A-League has completed its regular season and the crowds have dropped to an average of 10,423 - the third worst out of the 14 seasons so far. The only years to have lower averages were in 2009/10 and 2010/11 when both Gold Coast and North Queensland were still struggling along in the league.

There should be a boost next season when WSW move into their new stadium.

View attachment 664243

On a club by club basis only Perth Glory had a decent year, recording their 2nd best home average in history. Melbourne Victory is still the highest drawing team by a country mile but had a poor year by their standards.

Melbourne City, Western Sydney and Central Coast had their lowest averages ever. Central Coast's figure of 5,562 is the lowest ever by a still existing club.

View attachment 664251
Meh. Happy with the Skyblues crowd this year considering the Gypsie status.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
How is Twiggy going to save Australian rugby?

10K show up to watch the 2nd placed (in the Australian conference) Waratahs play the first night game in a new stadium where the bottom 4 Swans can still pull 30K at the SCG

The only way Twiggy Forrest helps Aus rugby is if he kicks in a hell of a lot of coin to facilitate the transition to a new model to replace Super Rugby. I doubt he is prepared to do that

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
How is Twiggy going to save Australian rugby?

10K show up to watch the 2nd placed (in the Australian conference) Waratahs play the first night game in a new stadium where the bottom 4 Swans can still pull 30K at the SCG

The only way Twiggy Forrest helps Aus rugby is if he kicks in a hell of a lot of coin to facilitate the transition to a new model to replace Super Rugby. I doubt he is prepared to do that

Its the new model that it is needed, Twiggy is the man to deliver it, that NSW suburban teams need have NO say in where the game goes, suck it up the way the WAFL was forced to by the national comp in Aussie Rules. Bums on seats is a measure.

A bit of a visionary Twiggy, R&D, self driving cars, Karratha:
https://thewest.com.au/business/min...ch-and-test-centre-in-karratha-ng-b881142952z

&
https://thewest.com.au/business/agriculture/forrests-combine-foods-for-7m-profit-ng-b881178640z

Last edited:

Aussie in exile

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 21, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Looks like the RU is in trouble in NSW with the main drawing team struggling to draw decent crowds

We're not going to give up': Waratahs boss on woeful Bankwest crowd
34ad8f546f8f9c0cf57a370962d0c72d67aa0b12
By Georgina Robinson SMH

April 28, 2019 — 6.03pm
\
The Waratahs have vowed to stay the course in western Sydney despite the shock of a dismal crowd at their first game at Parramatta's Bankwest Stadium on Saturday.

Only 10,605 went through the turnstiles to watch as NSW lost to the Sharks, making the 30,000-capacity venue barely over a third full only a few days after the sold-out Eels v Tigers NRL match.

Tough going: A poor home crowd piled insult on injury during the Waratahs' round-11 loss to the Sharks at the new Bankwest Stadium on Saturday night. CREDIT:AAP
Compounding matters was that it was the new stadium's first night game, a plum fixture meant to spearhead NSW Rugby's push into western Sydney.
"It was not where we would have liked it to have been," NSW boss Andrew Hore said.
Serious doubts have been raised by even RU fans who were at the game to the actual size of the crowd.

Aussie in exile

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 21, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Looks like the RU is in trouble in NSW with the main drawing team struggling to draw decent crowds

By Georgina Robinson SMH

April 28, 2019 — 6.03pm
\
The Waratahs have vowed to stay the course in western Sydney despite the shock of a dismal crowd at their first game at Parramatta's Bankwest Stadium on Saturday.

Only 10,605 went through the turnstiles to watch as NSW lost to the Sharks, making the 30,000-capacity venue barely over a third full only a few days after the sold-out Eels v Tigers NRL match.

Tough going: A poor home crowd piled insult on injury during the Waratahs' round-11 loss to the Sharks at the new Bankwest Stadium on Saturday night. CREDIT:AAP
Compounding matters was that it was the new stadium's first night game, a plum fixture meant to spearhead NSW Rugby's push into western Sydney.
"It was not where we would have liked it to have been," NSW boss Andrew Hore said.

Aussie in exile

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 21, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne

By Georgina Robinson SMH

April 28, 2019 — 6.03pm
\

It looks even more serious now for RU in Australia
https://www.theroar.com.au/2019/04/...kill-off-the-nrc-and-if-so-what-happens-next/

Ishikawa

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Probably not a shock given the misalignment between the Lowy regime and the clubs combined with the ongoing slide in public interest.

Margin Call can reveal National Australia Bank — an institution not without its own problems — has decided to end its sponsorship of the fractious code.

NAB would not comment on the end of its 15-year partnership with the sport, but trust us — you can take this one to the bank.

It’s unlikely to be the last big corporate partner to part ways with Australian soccer’s peak administrative body, which last year audaciously parted ways with Frank Lowy, his son Steven Lowy and the family’s $8.92 billion fortune (and formidable contact book).

The NAB arrangement was one of a cluster of sponsorship — together worth well over $6 million a year — that was attached to former FFA directors who left the board after Steven Lowy resigned as chair (a role he had taken over from his father Frank) in November following what some have rudely dubbed a “peasants’ revolt”.

One of those departed Lowy-aligned board members was Joseph Healy, a co-founder of banking upstart Judo Capital, who until 2014 was an executive at NAB.

NAB’s annual sponsorship of the FFA was worth more than 2mayear—outstrippingeventhe2mayear—outstrippingeventhe1.68m the Lowys’ shopping centre business Scentre Group shelled out last year (and isn’t expected to renew).

Another multi-million-dollar sponsorship looks endangered.

Petrol shop Caltex last year spent $2.34m on its FFA sponsorship. It’s not clear how much longer that will continue after the departure from the FFA board of Simon Hepworth, Caltex’s chief financial officer.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/bu...t/news-story/3a66021acaba3f160897bfe09f3fb7a5

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
It appears many professional RU Players- including Wallabies- support the views expressed recently by Israel Folau. An anti-RA player confrontation may soon erupt.
Some players (and others in the broader community) are saying a person is free to publicly express their religious views- & persons should not be sacked for expressing publicly their religious views.
Other players & RU fans (and others in the broader community) support RA over I. Folau's sacking.

Australian laws allow freedom of speech; & freedom of religion/freedom to express publicly one's religious views.

There are, however, legal limits on freedom of speech. These include Australian laws against comments which are defamatory (defined in law), racist, threatening to assault another person, "breaches of the peace"-type laws eg going into a theatre yelling out eg "I've got a bomb" etc.

There are also laws against discriminating against persons due to their religious beliefs.

An employer cannot legally have contractual terms which overide other statutory laws, or Common Law principles- even if the employee "agreed" to the term in the employment contract, courts would "void" it (irrespective whether it is a private employment contract; or the contract is under an Industrial Commission Award. One, also, cannot legally "contract out" of an Award, if it is to the employee's monetary detriment).

https://www.lawinsport.com/topics/a...of-conduct-hearing-the-likely-legal-arguments

Professional RU (&, probably, GR RU players & fans) might be soon facing an extremely divisive period if I. Folau is sacked by RA. I. Folau has commenced legal action to overturn his sacking.

RA has very strong financial support from Qantas (c. $4,000,000 pa). Qantas has longstanding & strong commercial relationships with Emirates Airlines, & flies to Islamic countries. Middle Eastern & Islamic countries have strong anti-homosexual views & laws.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-...m-takes-a-dramatic-twist-20190501-p51iuj.html

https://www.qantas.com/fflyer/dyn/partners/airline/emirates

Last edited:

Our Game

Club Legend
Sep 30, 2014
Sandringham
AFL Club
Geelong
For some reason all the footy codes struggled yesterday.
The AFL had only 37,000 at Marvel for a Collingwood match.
The A League Final in Melbourne with Victory playing got only 16,000 the RU in Brisbane 8600 and the NRL in Sydney only 7683.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Last edited:

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
This link details the potential, huge negative ramifications for GR RU participant nos. ( & professional RU) in Australia if RA continues with its decision to sack I. Folau.

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/rugb...ddm3IwGQ9IxNdZxlRaoBxuvA062Th0UV_xDA7s9VzYAdA

MSM online polls (which have attracted a huge response) are showing c. 80% support for the view that RA should not sack Folau.

It has been reported that RA offered I. Folau, just prior to the RA Code Of Conduct Hearing, $1,000,000 to withdraw his protest at being sacked; & to no longer seek to play for the Wallabies, or Waratahs. He declined their offer.

Some MSM reports are suggesting RA could be bankrupted if it loses its case in the Code Of Conduct Hearing, & then a court appeal (with cost awarded against it).
It appears there may not have been a clause in Folau's most recent contract with RA which specifically forbade him from making anti-homosexual comments.

Qantas is an activist company, & campaigned strongly for gay marriage.
What obligations, if any, do players have to refrain from mentioning, publicly, comments that are not aligned with the public values of a major corporate sponsor of their particular code; the players' national controlling body and/or own Club?

A Sydney University Employment Law expert says, such are the complexities of the Folau case (involving, amongst other things, long established entrenched rights on freedom of speech, freedom of religion, not to be discriminated against due to one's religion etc.), the Folau case could drag on for months, or years.

"It's the most divisive issue in Australian sport"- & unlikely to be settled soon. RA & GR RU are imperilled.
Lessons for other sporting organisations?

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-...ys-employment-law-expert-20190503-p51jsf.html

Last edited:

abcde12345

Team Captain
May 15, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
GWS
37 point quarter time margin, two of the smallest clubs in the league, head to head with another (much closer) game featuring two Melbourne teams, in a timeslot that is very poor for TV in the first place, on the secondary fox channel, with a game between the Canberra based NRL team and one of the West Sydney based NRL teams coming on at half time (or thereabouts).

Don't think it's the biggest concern tbh. Obviously not great numbers for that game, but the other game had decent enough fox figures for the timeslot and this one had pretty much everything going against it ratings wise as far as an AFL game can.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
This link details the potential, huge negative ramifications for GR RU participant nos. ( & professional RU) in Australia if RA continues with its decision to sack I. Folau.

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/rugb...ddm3IwGQ9IxNdZxlRaoBxuvA062Th0UV_xDA7s9VzYAdA

MSM online polls (which have attracted a huge response) are showing c. 80% support for the view that RA should not sack Folau.

It has been reported that RA offered I. Folau, just prior to the RA Code Of Conduct Hearing, $1,000,000 to withdraw his protest at being sacked; & to no longer seek to play for the Wallabies, or Waratahs. He declined their offer.

Some MSM reports are suggesting RA could be bankrupted if it loses its case in the Code Of Conduct Hearing, & then a court appeal (with cost awarded against it).
It appears there may not have been a clause in Folau's most recent contract with RA which specifically forbade him from making anti-homosexual comments.

Qantas is an activist company, & campaigned strongly for gay marriage.
What obligations, if any, do players have to refrain from mentioning comments that are not aligned with a major corporate sponsor's values of their particular code and/or Club?

Sadly for the code, it is running in the PC world not following the law of the land. Ms Castles handling of the first incident appears not to have seen any change to Folaus contract, given both parties would have needed to agree.

Digressing I'm amused that fornicators & drunks have not been equally offended :cool: .....

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Sadly for the code, it is running in the PC world not following the law of the land. Ms Castles handling of the first incident appears not to have seen any change to Folaus contract, given both parties would have needed to agree.

Digressing I'm amused that fornicators & drunks have not been equally offended :cool: .....

Most employee contracts have a social media part. Mine does and I would be fired on the spot if it was me writing what he did.

Drunks and fortification is a choice. Gay is not.
I do wonder why druggos get a free pass on his list though.

Besides which, as a drunk, I'm going to hell but for completely different reasons than alcohol.

Cmarsh

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 23, 2012
NSW
AFL Club
GWS
Most employee contracts have a social media part. Mine does and I would be fired on the spot if it was me writing what he did.

Besides which, as a drunk, I'm going to hell but for completely different reasons than alcohol.

Yeah but someone as high profile as Israel has alot more levrage in contract negotiations then your average joe who has to sign a code of coduct and thats all there is to it.

Cmarsh

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 23, 2012
NSW
AFL Club
GWS

Some would say addiction is not a choice.

Back