Play Nice 2019 Non AFL Admin, Crowds, Ratings, Participation etc thread

Remove this Banner Ad

That's absolutely true, and perhaps Fox underestimated the pull of the EPL and overestimated the pull of the A-League. If a subscriber watches both there's really nothing that tells Fox what the driver is for the subscription. Now that they've lost one it's entirely possible that a lot of people that watched A-League have dropped Foxtel completely.

In saying that, FTA audiences have gone south as well so I don't think it's entirely an EPL driven thing.

Did Fox underestimate Optus?

1. SMH D.Bossi 6.6.19

D. Bossi has written that Foxtel (to reduce its A League costs, & overall losses) is now seeking to sell 2 games pw to a FTA channel; & the FTA channel would produce the games, & bear all costs of production. If this eventuates, Foxtel would only produce & show 3 A League games pw.
Foxtel has started to reduce some of its soccer staff.

ttps://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/a-league-games-could-be-sold-to-networks-amid-foxtel-financial-woes-20190605-p51uu6.html

It appears that Foxtel aspires to rid itself of the A League asap.

Does anyone know of the status of Foxtel's legal dispute with the A League that Western United, based initially in Geelong's Kardinia Park, is not a "Meelbourne team, thus not a true Melbourne Derby"? Foxtel, therefore, claims it has no contractual obligation to pay additional funds to the FFA if expansion teams create more derbies in Melbourne and/or Sydney.

2. MSM is reporting I. Folau has commenced legal action, against RA & the Waratahs,, in the Fair Work Commission for Unfair Dismissal.
His Press Release states he has received considerable public support to challenge his dismissal; & that his legal team believes his fundamental rights of religious freedom are being unlawfully impinged. His religious views were not expressed at a RA function or activity.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-06...gby-australia-for-breach-of-contract/11185064

His legal team will be relying on s.772 (1) (f) of the Fair Work Act- which prohibits an employee from being dismissed on the basis of their religion.
There are also other laws covering freedom of speech, & laws that persons cannot be discriminated against due to their religion, that will be considered. Terms in an employment contract can be "voided" by courts if such terms are deemed by a court to overide the statutory or common law rights of an employee.

"The court will test Rugby Australia's right to dismiss Folau for breaching his contract, versus his right to express his religious beliefs".
This case may set a precedent on what actions, if any, an employer can take against an employee for comments they make away from their working environment. It is not suggested that I. Folau's comments broke any laws against threatening violence, Defamation, or Breaches of the Peace.

I suspect there will be a Full Bench hearing, which will occur in the next few months. Due to its implications, it may only be finalised in the High Court.
Prior to the election, the LNP has announced it is considering new laws to strengthen freedom of speech, freedom of religion, & freedom to not be discriminated against due to one's religion.

EDIT:
M.Latham, former ALP leader, now a One Nation MP, believes RA sacked I.Folau to appease Qantas head, Alan Joyce- & to retain Qantas sponsorship.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/sport...g/news-story/4fe742f16fc9c3a9bcdc5cd05b2e44c7

Last edited:
Dont know what people are raving about.The numbers are Down!

The biggest decrease was in Melbourne where figures dropped 23% (85,000) on last year. In Sydney, the audience decreased by 35,000, while in Brisbane the drop was just 19,000 and Adelaide audiences dropped 8,000. And Perth was down 21,000. Regional areas also took a small hit, down 74,000.

Dont know what people are raving about.The numbers are Down!

The biggest decrease was in Melbourne where figures dropped 23% (85,000) on last year. In Sydney, the audience decreased by 35,000, while in Brisbane the drop was just 19,000 and Adelaide audiences dropped 8,000. And Perth was down 21,000. Regional areas also took a small hit, down 74,000.

Still one of the biggest tv audiences ?

Still one of the biggest tv audiences ?

Yes. Pick your position -

Glass half full: it’s the biggest rating show on tv so far this year
Glass half empty: it’s down again and only ranks 14th out of the last 19.

I think you'd expect it would be down in Melbourne YoY, considering last year the opener was in Melbourne. More hype and awareness. This year no games in Melbourne at all. I don't think that would be signs for concern for the NRL. Perth being down despite the hype they should be generating over there with the next game at Perth Oval would be a bigger concern IMO.

1. SMH D.Bossi 6.6.19

D. Bossi has written that Foxtel (to reduce its A League costs, & overall losses) is now seeking to sell 2 games pw to a FTA channel; & the FTA channel would produce the games, & bear all costs of production. If this eventuates, Foxtel would only produce & show 3 A League games pw.
Foxtel has started to reduce some of its soccer staff.

ttps://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/a-league-games-could-be-sold-to-networks-amid-foxtel-financial-woes-20190605-p51uu6.html

It appears that Foxtel aspires to rid itself of the A League asap.

Fox "selling" games to FTA would be a bit of an overstatement. Given FTA wouldn't pay anything for a game a couple of years ago and numbers are a lot worse now, it's difficult to see FTA paying anything for 2 games next season. Best Fox could hope for is for another network to take over production (and therefore bear the costs of it).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Random thought -

What would be the bigger event in terms of overall public interest, the FIFA women's world cup or the ICC men's world cup?

The fifa womens wc obviously has more participating countries but the ICC mens world cup has the hold of the huge south Asian markets plus the fact it being a male sporting event gives it an advantage, given generally speaking there is more interest in mens sport than womens sport.

Random thought -

What would be the bigger event in terms of overall public interest, the FIFA women's world cup or the ICC men's world cup?

The fifa womens wc obviously has more participating countries but the ICC mens world cup has the hold of the huge south Asian markets plus the fact it being a male sporting event gives it an advantage, given generally speaking there is more interest in mens sport than womens sport.
Maybe the ICC for now, but doubt that will be true for long. It's not like Cricket can do a lot of growing in the sub continent, and one dayers as a format have lost ground to T20.

Women's soccer on the other hand is undergoing a boom. The next women's World cup will be bigger than this one, I doubt the next men's ICC will be bigger than this one.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Maybe the ICC for now, but doubt that will be true for long. It's not like Cricket can do a lot of growing in the sub continent, and one dayers as a format have lost ground to T20.

Women's soccer on the other hand is undergoing a boom. The next women's World cup will be bigger than this one, I doubt the next men's ICC will be bigger than this one.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk
Cricket can do more growing on the subcontinent. India, Pakistan and Bangladesh all have rapidly growing populations.

Not much growth outside of those markets though, as big and growing as they are. ICC has seen to that

Big weekend of international sport. Tonight, we had a socceroos friendly(yeah I didnt know either), Fedal, the womens world cup and of course Barty. Tmw, is Barty again. Sunday, Australia v India over at the world cup and Australia v Italy over in the womens world cup. Plus the mens tennis final, which should be Nadal v joker(sorry Thiem).

probably missing a couple,

Not much growth outside of those markets though, as big and growing as they are. ICC has seen to that

Big weekend of international sport. Tonight, we had a socceroos friendly(yeah I didnt know either), Fedal, the womens world cup and of course Barty. Tmw, is Barty again. Sunday, Australia v India over at the world cup and Australia v Italy over in the womens world cup. Plus the mens tennis final, which should be Nadal v joker(sorry Thiem).

probably missing a couple,

Cant see Dan getting up in Csnsda.

Cricket can do more growing on the subcontinent. India, Pakistan and Bangladesh all have rapidly growing populations.
Thats a myth actually. They had rapidly growing populations a generation ago. Now days, Australias growth rate (with immigration), is higher than India and Bangladesh, and not much lower than Pakistan. So if your banking on the subcontinent breeding its way to cricket supremacy, sorry, not happening.

Thats a myth actually. They had rapidly growing populations a generation ago. Now days, Australias growth rate (with immigration), is higher than India and Bangladesh, and not much lower than Pakistan. So if your banking on the subcontinent breeding its way to cricket supremacy, sorry, not happening.
India alone has a bigger population than Europe and South America combined. They are just a poor country so no one acknowledges/is aware of the popularity of the sport.

India alone has a bigger population than Europe and South America combined. They are just a poor country so no one acknowledges/is aware of the popularity of the sport.
True, cricket in terms of pure numbers, is an enormously popular sport, the fact that most of them are Indian means that to countries like the US, this doesn't count.

Are you relying on %s ... ?

Are you relying on %s ... ?
Are you relying on numbers?
The whole world is growing, People still think the Indian subcontinent is growing faster than most other places, its not. If the Indian population is growing, in percentage terms, not faster than the rest of the world, then India is adding cricket fans, no faster than the rest of the world is adding non cricket fans, slower actually, as there are a lot more non Indians, than there are Indians.

The point I was making, and the argument I was countering, is that growth in the size of the Indian population is not going to advantage Cricket over other sports, as the growth rate, in percentage terms, of India, is a lot lower than people think it is,and not significantly different from the rest of the non cricket mad world. We cannot rely on Indians breeding cricket to the most popular sport in the world.

Not all the world - large parts of Europe, plus Russia, Japan and South Korea are already in decline and after about 2040 to 2050, the overall world population will be in permanent decline.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/sci...rt-to-fall-from-2040-does-it-matter-1.3808527
Maybe I should have said, the world as a whole is growing, and yes, its growing due to ageing, not birth rates, so there is a limit to how much it can rise, but this is as true of India, as of everywhere else.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back