Play Nice 2019 Non AFL Admin, Crowds, Ratings, Participation etc thread

Remove this Banner Ad

RU seems to be in a world of pain as far as crowds go.

No 'magic bullet' for Super Rugby's crowd crisis: Castle

By Georgina Robinson and Chris Dutton
June 19, 2019 — 4.43pm
  • Rugby Australia boss Raelene Castle has admitted there is no "magic bullet" in the fight to arrest the alarming crowd slide in Super Rugby as the Brumbies look to avoid a potential $100,000 financial hit this weekend.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/soc...legation-in-the-a-league-20190620-p51zpz.html

Football Federation Australia have laid the foundations for what could eventually be promotion and relegation from the A-League, recommending a national second division be introduced in two years' time.

If issues such as funding, broadcasting and commercial partners are solved, the national second division could start in 2021.

Just a couple of trivial matters in the way, then.

Dont see it happening any time soon due to lack of funding.

It’s a great caveat, isn’t it? It could be up and running, if they can just manage to work out how to pay for it, if anyone wants to broadcast it or sponsor it.

True and that's more to do with the old states protecting themselves.

If it's run with a small cap and financials worked out I can't see why not.

We have a baseball and ice hockey national comp so anything is possible.

A lower level comp can be accommodated relatively easily with realistic financials but this comp will have to be good enough so that teams can step up to the top tier. Otherwise the whole exercise is pointless.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

True and that's more to do with the old states protecting themselves.

Well in Australian football I would suggest it is my the states trying to preserving their heritage...i.e the SANFL is the oldest football league in the world since the effective disbanding of the VFA. What benefit is there from ending that to form a far more expensive national 2nd tier competition?

If it's run with a small cap and financials worked out I can't see why not.

We have a baseball and ice hockey national comp so anything is possible.

The ice hockey competition is amateur and 7 of the 8 teams are in the south east corner of the country. The baseball league had its funding cut from the MLB and it is limping along. They are both 8 team competitions

I seriously doubt they can make the financials work. If it is to be a pro-rel competition than it needs to be professional. Even if it isn't, from what I here the NPL clubs already extort money out of families to be part of their academies / elite teams.

The ice hockey competition is amateur and 7 of the 8 teams are in the south east corner of the country. The baseball league had its funding cut from the MLB and it is limping along. They are both 8 team competitions

The ABL is also a fairly unique structure with all teams owned by the league and I believe the league pay all salaries on a tier system. No way is a 2nd division in soccer going to have anything close to that sort of setup. Controlling costs will be impossible with every team looking to spend to make the 1st division.

The problem with a lot of ideas that come from within soccer is that they're coming from the view of a hardcore fan - and there just aren't that many of them to make these ideas work. The FFA Cup is a recent example - it sounds like a great idea to the couple of hundred people that watch Marconi every week. The reality is that virtually no-one watches it, the A-League clubs and fans mostly don't give a s**t (at least until the final) and now Fox wants to dump it.

In saying all of that, good luck to them. I kinda hope it works if they can get it off the ground with a bunch of traditional clubs from around the country.

59,721 @ Perth Stadium for SoO last night.
Now hold the record crowd at the venue

Could be a similar situation to Docklands stadium were Rugby League, Union and soccer all hold higher crowds than the best AFL game.

Not sure that really means much but it's something to note.

59,721 @ Perth Stadium for SoO last night.
Now hold the record crowd at the venue

Could be a similar situation to Docklands stadium were Rugby League, Union and soccer all hold higher crowds than the best AFL game.

Not sure that really means much but it's something to note.

I would say it means very little. Can't even be sure it is counted on the same basis as AFL crowds (i.e. exclusive of staff)

Meanwhile ratings were pretty poor last night. Failed to get to 2 million FTA metro viewers.

Can't imagine channel 9 would want to stick it out with Sunday night origin. Cleaves a fair whack out of ratings it seems

I would say it means very little. Can't even be sure it is counted on the same basis as AFL crowds (i.e. exclusive of staff)

Meanwhile ratings were pretty poor last night. Failed to get to 2 million FTA metro viewers.

Can't imagine channel 9 would want to stick it out with Sunday night origin. Cleaves a fair whack out of ratings it seems

Bit harsh. The game was a blowout.

Bit harsh. The game was a blowout.
Yep result had an impact. There was no real difference in pre game audience

Game 1 Pre game show

Game 2 Pre game show

And then Sydney and Brisbane had a 100k+ drop off each comparing game time figures and 49k increase in Perth counterbalanced with 46k drop off in Melbourne and Adelaide combined.

Last edited:
The blow out likely had some effect but it looks a pretty obvious working hypothesis after two years that Sunday's are worse for ratings than wednesday nights

The pregame last year was also significantly closer to game 1 than its actual ratings ended up. Suggests people are (slightly) relatively more likely to watch the pre game on a Sunday if they are watching the match

Remove this Banner Ad

Back