Play Nice 2019 Non AFL Admin, Crowds, Ratings, Participation etc thread

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
I have no understanding of how transfers occur, I'd have thought its under a FIFA arrangement & include the A-League.

Victory was valued at $40m last year

Thats a lot of upside for anything associated with the A-League.

Melbourne victory wasn't valued at $40m. A small private equity transaction was extrapolated out by silly people into a $40m valuation

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Its actually worse than that. Mooy at Melbourne City was signed by City group, they loaned him to Huddersfield (he never actually played for Manchester city), Huddersfield then signed him permanently, for 8 million pounds.

How much of that finds its way back to the A league? $0.00 If this trend continues, then the A league is a feeder league for comps like the Premier league. If European clubs sign Australian players, through subsidiaries, like City, or directly, then any transfer fees in Europe go to them. Nobody is paying 8 million pound to an A league club for a player, as there is no agreement between the comps re transfers. The really talented kids arent going to play for an A league team at all, they will go straight to England as juniors ( eg Kewell, who never played senior Soccer in Australia until after his Premier league career).

The A league, to the Premier league, is something like a NEAFL reserves comp to the AFL in terms of footy. This is why it will always struggle to make serious money, can you imagine the NEAFL reserves making serious money, regardless of how well its run? The bigger kids will always cut their lunch.

So the owner of the A-League club got the money? If he went to Huddersfield from Victory say, no one would get a penny?
Sure destroys my theory on how Victory is worth $40m, must be missing something.

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Oooooh, poor ratings for the NRL last night

319K all up on the metros implying 34K across Melbourne, Perth and Adelaide for a Storm match with no AFL game on

Smashed by the front bar again!

HavUEvaSeenTheRain

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Oooooh, poor ratings for the NRL last night

319K all up on the metros implying 34K across Melbourne, Perth and Adelaide for a Storm match with no AFL game on

Smashed by the front bar again!

View attachment 703468

The front bar nearly got more in Brisbane and Sydney that the NRL got in Melbourne, Perth and Adelaide.
I watched the game and the lack of crowd and atmosphere really killed it last night. It felt like watching a VFL game. It’s amazing how a lack of atmosphere at the ground affects you even watching on the couch.
The reason I hate channel 7 and the lack of crowd noise on the broadcast

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
The front bar nearly got more in Brisbane and Sydney that the NRL got in Melbourne, Perth and Adelaide.
I watched the game and the lack of crowd and atmosphere really killed it last night. It felt like watching a VFL game. It’s amazing how a lack of atmosphere at the ground affects you even watching on the couch.
The reason I hate channel 7 and the lack of crowd noise on the broadcast

Channel 7 need to reduce the sound of the crowd due to the importance of letting the noise coming out of BT and Bruce's mouths....it is not at all self-indulgent

The_Wookie I have a question re ratings that I only picked up the other day.

7's footy coverage numbers has the 7mate figures for Sydney and Brisbane in with the 7 main channel numbers for the other 3 markets, yet 9's NRL numbers always have 0 for Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth - note for NRL games not SoO games, yet they show these NRL games on 9Gem in those 3 markets.

Why is this so? Are the numbers that poor that they register a 0? Hard to believe given I've seen multichannel numbers as low as 8,000 in different markets in the top 20 programs figures on the multi-channels.

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
The_Wookie I have a question re ratings that I only picked up the other day.

7's footy coverage numbers has the 7mate figures for Sydney and Brisbane in with the 7 main channel numbers for the other 3 markets, yet 9's NRL numbers always have 0 for Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth - note for NRL games not SoO games, yet they show these NRL games on 9Gem in those 3 markets.

Why is this so? Are the numbers that poor that they register a 0? Hard to believe given I've seen multichannel numbers as low as 8,000 in different markets in the top 20 programs figures on the multi-channels.

No one seems to be really sure. Nine can code the programming the same way as 7 do combining primary and secondary channels, but they dont for some reason even though some of their GEM ratings for the cricket would make the overall top 20. Its worth noting that Wimbledon did make the top 20 despite being on 7two.

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Origin ripper 80k+ midweek.

You'd say its pretty unsurprising that the biggest sporting event of the year in a city of 5 million gets 80K.....but then you remember that the 6th biggest crowd at an NRL game in Sydney this year is a miserable 21,650 and you think, year 80K is pretty good considering

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
You'd say its pretty unsurprising that the biggest sporting event of the year in a city of 5 million gets 80K.....but then you remember that the 6th biggest crowd at an NRL game in Sydney this year is a miserable 21,650 and you think, year 80K is pretty good considering

Thats your tryhard attempt to put down a rival code, but that is your constant approach thru your narrow focus.

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton

NEARLY 10 MILLION PEOPLE WATCH STATE OF ORIGIN IN 2019

9.537 million Australians tuned in to Nine’s broadcast of the 2019 Holden State of Origin series.

For the first time since 2005, the Bryden’s Lawyers New South Wales Blues side celebrated back-to-back Origin series victories, breaking their curse of Game III decider losses.

State of Origin Games I, II and III are now the three most watched programs of the year to date. Game I is ranked first with a national average of 3.211 million viewers, Game III is second with 2.881 million viewers, and Origin II is ranked third with 2.808 million.

Following NSW’s series win, Nine’s Director of Sport, Tom Malone, said: “There is no other sporting contest like State of Origin anywhere in the world - professional footballers leaving their club to play for their state of origin in what is the equivalent of three consecutive Grand Finals. It delivers again and again because of the passion and pride across cities, towns and states – and because of the incredible athleticism of the players.”

Nine’s Director of Sales - Sport, Matt Granger said: “The 2019 SOO series has had it all, culminating in last night’s decider. For Nine, it has been fantastic to work with our sponsors, Sony Pictures, Sportsbet, Holden, Stan, McDonalds, Telstra and Harvey Norman. Nine’s exclusive broadcast of SOO has once again showcased it’s unique position and dominance for audiences and partners alike.”

It’s a new era for both Origin sides, with more players on debut than ever before, and new superstars rising through the ranks, like NSW’s James Tedesco who was awarded the Wally Lewis Medal for player of the series.

The NRL on Nine action doesn’t stop here, as a tight race in the top eight develops with only nine rounds remaining until the NRL Finals begin this September.
Source: 9PR, via email.

So where does this leave the FFA? what CEO do they need? what next for Gallop?

What other sports can he screw up? He’s already done his best to keep the NRL and soccer down. Cricket Australia is always thinking of exciting new ways to bugger things up, maybe he can go there.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1

So where does this leave the FFA? what CEO do they need? what next for Gallop?

This was expected after the A League was cut loose.
Maybe the expected changes in the sports media rights landscape might provide an opening give his legal background.

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
State of Origin

Origin III rated 2.881 million on Nine across the country, finishing ahead of 2018s 3rd game (2.683m), but still well behind the 2013 game 3 that reached over 4 million.

The 2019 Origin series reached over 9 million viewers, with 9.537 million people turning in across the country on Nine over the course of the series.

At the time of writing, State of Origin matches occupy the top 3 ratings positions on Australian television in 2019.

NRL

A shortened round 16 with just 4 matches saw 2.515 million people watch professional league across the weekend. More than 57 million people have watched this year premiership season at an average of 476,000 viewers per match. Total rugby league viewing for the season (including preseason, Origins and Rep round) now exceeds 68 million in 2019.

The highest rating NRL game of the weekend was Friday nights Tigers/Roosters clash with 813,000 viewers on Foxleague and the Nine network nationally. The game was also the highest on Nine with 555,000 viewers opting for free to air coverage.

Saturday nights Knights/Warriors affair was the highest draw on Foxleague with 260,000 tuning in to the action across the country.

Thursday and Friday night matches both rated 12,000 on Oztams VPM charts for the week.

The Canterbury cup was watched by 51,000 in Sydney, while the Intrust Cup attracted 27,000 in Brisbane, as state league ratings continue to lift in the absence of Netball coverage on Nine.

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
State of Origin

Origin III rated 2.881 million on Nine across the country, finishing ahead of 2018s 3rd game (2.683m), but still well behind the 2013 game 3 that reached over 4 million.

The 2019 Origin series reached over 9 million viewers, with 9.537 million people turning in across the country on Nine over the course of the series.

At the time of writing, State of Origin matches occupy the top 3 ratings positions on Australian television in 2019.

NRL

A shortened round 16 with just 4 matches saw 2.515 million people watch professional league across the weekend. More than 57 million people have watched this year premiership season at an average of 476,000 viewers per match. Total rugby league viewing for the season (including preseason, Origins and Rep round) now exceeds 68 million in 2019.

The highest rating NRL game of the weekend was Friday nights Tigers/Roosters clash with 813,000 viewers on Foxleague and the Nine network nationally. The game was also the highest on Nine with 555,000 viewers opting for free to air coverage.

Saturday nights Knights/Warriors affair was the highest draw on Foxleague with 260,000 tuning in to the action across the country.

Thursday and Friday night matches both rated 12,000 on Oztams VPM charts for the week.

The Canterbury cup was watched by 51,000 in Sydney, while the Intrust Cup attracted 27,000 in Brisbane, as state league ratings continue to lift in the absence of Netball coverage on Nine.

Wasn't last year a dead rubber?

Back