Opinion 2018 Non-Crows #5: Watt's the frequency, Kenneth? #nightswimming&****

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So if you're assuming we're a well run organisation why would we then assume they'd act like a badly run organisation and have Smart and Reilly ignore duties to do any amount of work with eSports?

Or are you just wanting something to fire off on?
I think there are some people, when they don't know for sure, they just assume incompetence.

I willing to give the club the benefit of the doubt on this. They bought into a viable business in a massive growth industry that appears to not be hugely demanding on resources. I'm not losing sleep over Legacy.

Again, what does that mean? At what point are you spending money for the sake of spending money? And with the soft cap in place there's not any team who pays above that at the moment, so we're on equal footing with every other club there. The club spent a ton on bringing the Kangatech equipment in as an example of them spending money to help the players, so to suggest they're cutting corners on the players seem to be incorrect.

It's another all or nothing thought process where because the club is involved in something else it has to be short changing the football department to do it.

The stars really do have to align to bag a flag. Who honestly saw West Coast as an obvious flag contender last year.
Last year was a complete abortion. Combination of overtrying, bad luck, bad management, player burnout.
I think this year we’re looking better so far. In the end it’s a lot about player mindset and luck.

"Hi meet Todd. Todd wipes down all the computer screens before any legacy competition. As a means of uniting the clubs and cross training, Todd is also has a PHD in sports science, Physiotherapy, and organisational management. As this is not a recognized need within the club Todd is paid through our legacy basket."
" Also in other news, Rory Sloane, Tex Walker and Rory Laird have just accepted ambassador positions within E-Sports Australia to promote Legacy to the wider SA public."

Like hiding a stolen diamond on your forehead. Brilliant. ;)

There is only one real metric for understanding if we are spending our cap well and if these other outside sports are helping or hindering with our soft cap spend.

We need to be constantly benchmarking our football department, and every staff appointment that sits inside the soft cap against the very best in the AFL.

How does our list management, medical department, strength & conditioning, coaching group, head of football etc. compare to other successful clubs that are governed by the same soft cap?

There's nothing to suggest that these offshoots aren't draining funds from the footy department. Are we on the record as fully spending up the soft cap? During Trigg's years we dodged the question. Haven't heard anything since.

The easy way to answer your question would be to wait until the financials are out for 2018.
noting that the soft cap is $9.5 million in 2018 and for interest, has been Frozen for 2019. even though wages and costs have increased. Forcing clubs to look at other ways to spend the Cap, For example, dual roles like coaching the Ruck group and being AFLW coach, Being a midfield development coach and captaining the SANFL side, Being the Coaching Director and Coaching the SANFL side. And Being the defensive development coach and working with the Legacy kids on their health and well being.

Obviously this is the issue. Imbeciles have stated that there’s no cost for his or Reilly’s time spent on esports because they were already employed. If there is no cost it means that whatever they’re not doing while doing their esports duties had no value to the organisation. This is simple stuff. Do well run organisations normally have people sitting around doing nothing of value that doesn’t require replacement if they’re partially redeployed to another department.

Idiots are stating as fact that there’s no cost purely because they were already employed. That’s a public service attitude or one of people with zero business understanding.

Lots of large corps restructure all the time with additional depts shifting across to different GMs or from COO to CFO etc. The same when they acquire a new company to take on additional offerings. It's pretty common. Doesn't mean the GM/CFO/COO was sitting idle prior. (but also doesn't mean it's the best option..)

There is only one real metric for understanding if we are spending our cap well and if these other outside sports are helping or hindering with our soft cap spend.

We need to be constantly benchmarking our football department, and every staff appointment that sits inside the soft cap against the very best in the AFL.

How does our list management, medical department, strength & conditioning, coaching group, head of football etc. compare to other successful clubs that are governed by the same soft cap?
That's not foolproof either, with the soft cap in place it removes our ability to overpay interstate talent to come to the club. We saw that when we tried to get Andrew Russell where he can make the same sort of money staying in Victoria and doesn't have to uproot his life or business interests. It's not a massive surprise that the guys we brought in over the last few years, Reilly, Thomas, Wright, Hart, Francou, Burton, Saunders, Godden and Mattner are all from Adelaide to begin with. That is again a limitation we have in the vic-centric AFL where you've got 10 potential jobs on offer for 2 in every other state.

But as I've said before, I refuse to believe there isn't enough quality football talent in and from the state that we can't be proactive in picking out quality individuals to add to the football department. We look to have done that over the offseason with Saunders, Mattner, Godden and Wright.

If we pay up to the cap, then whatever outside interests we have don't really have an impact at all on what the football department is doing.

Lots of large corps restructure all the time with additional depts shifting across to different GMs or from COO to CFO etc. The same when they acquire a new company to take on additional offerings. It's pretty common. Doesn't mean the GM/CFO/COO was sitting idle prior. (but also doesn't mean it's the best option..)

I’m not arguing against a restructure, I’m arguing against posters stating as fact that Reilly and Smart working in esports is free of cost because they were already on our payroll. But if it is correct, then it does suggest that we’ve been wasting precious resources on not fully employed staff.

I’m not arguing against a restructure, I’m arguing against posters stating as fact that Reilly and Smart working in esports is free of cost because they were already on our payroll. But if it is correct, then it does suggest that we’ve been wasting precious resources on not fully employed staff.
Or brought in new staff to backfill.

Would be good to have some proper segment reporting to evaluate...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How about they just find a way of having a better finals ticketing system...
Kane, they're going to bring new technology in, come hell or high water .....irrespective of the damage done to customers

I truly believe, Ticketek believe that demand for tickets overcomes any difficulties Ticketek create .....and that customers will keep trying & trying becuase of their AFL passion ......such was the case last years finals series, where pandomonium reigned & not a word was said by Ticketek, except sorry :thumbsdown:

Kane, they're going to bring new technology in, come hell or high water .....irrespective of the damage done to customers

I truly believe, Ticketek believe that demand for tickets overcomes any difficulties Ticketek create .....and that customers will keep trying & trying becuase of their AFL passion ......such was the case last years finals series, where pandomonium reigned & not a word was said by Ticketek, except sorry :thumbsdown:
It's the same every year.... sorry, our systems couldn't cope with the unexpected demand.

Just give it to another company that is hopefully competent.

It's the same every year.... sorry, our systems couldn't cope with the unexpected demand.

Just give it to another company that is hopefully competent.
This pisses me off .....of course the demand is greater for Finals ....you plan & structure for that peak period, not the average week to week demand .....that's pitiful management & reeks of cost saving

All my tickets when in the US were electronic, no paper tickets at all. Just have the apps, Ticketmaster and Stub Hub and away you go.

He didn't cause any trouble, he was just asked to leave, just a media hit piece. I've been asked to leave a place because I was "too drunk" after 2 mid-strength beers after accidentally dropping a glass. Sometime's security are just campaigners.
Peter Bell made it quite clear after his last "pissed as a parrot" episode he was treading a very, very fine line....it's one thing to have a couple of drinks with mates but an altogether different thing to get totally fly blown especially when you have no credits left in the bank.

Peter Bell made it quite clear after his last "pissed as a parrot" episode he was treading a very, very fine line....it's one thing to have a couple of drinks with mates but an altogether different thing to get totally fly blown especially when you have no credits left in the bank.
Exactly. Bennell knows he is on his last chance & should not be drinking at all given his past... unless he wants his AFL career to end. What a waste.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back