Opinion 2018 Non-Crows Discussion - Part 2: Tom Doedee, Rising Star Nominee & Port's New Major Sponsor

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess lining up for a kick it is not appropriate compared to when a player kicks a goal and goes near the fence
But if a player - Ash Hansen, say - was lining up for goal near the fence in, I don't know - a PF at Footy Park, just for the sake of argument - and if a normally mild-mannered middle-aged spectator went red in the face screaming "NO PRESSURE, ASH, NO PRESSURE!!!!" - that would be OK, wouldn't it?

Asking for a friend :$

Last edited:
But if a player - Ash Hansen, say - was lining up for goal near then fence in, I don't know - a PF at Footy Park, just for the sake of argument - and if a normally mild-mannered middle-aged spectator went red in the face screaming "NO PRESSURE, ASH, NO PRESSURE!!!!" - that would be OK, wouldn't it?

Ask your friend if Hansen kicked the goal or not.

But if a player - Ash Hansen, say - was lining up for goal near then fence in, I don't know - a PF at Footy Park, just for the sake of argument - and if a normally mild-mannered middle-aged spectator went red in the face screaming "NO PRESSURE, ASH, NO PRESSURE!!!!" - that would be OK, wouldn't it?

Blood Ash Hansen was like North's Sam Kerridge. Always seemed to played well above his normal level against us.

Pace and Space in the AFL – Will the long bomb transform footy?

http://www.hpnfooty.com/?p=29844
A pretty good read.

Worth noting that for a lot of the guys capable of regularly kicking goals from outside 50 they seem to be better at kicking the long ball than short ball.

It is a great way to break up congestion up forward as well. Make the defensive zone longer and create more space in the inside 50.

That is where a guy like Seed is good for us. He can launch from 80m out and hit a target 40 to 30 m from goal. When Tex is playing we have a double threat when he is around the 50m arc. The opposition have to cover him out there but that also means less congestion in the zone 30m out from goal.

Gives room for guys like Eddie, Lynch and Gov/Fog etc to operate when we launch an I50 from the centreline.

That is the advantage of a long kicking game plan. Plus it works in the wet. As opposed to short attacking handball based gameplan. As we saw last weekend.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Thanks. Have skimmed, will read.

There was something similar published last year, mainly about the Crows I think, and they showed that expanding the 50m arc by 10m increased the area that defenders have to cover by some ridiculous %age - might have been 30-40%?

We are blessed with Walker, Seedsman and hopefully Smith again, and we should take advantage.

Edit: the article in question is linked in the one above. Taking your range from 45 out to 55m increases the area of the "scoring zone" by 43% !

Last edited:

Yep good article. It seems we’ve had players for quite a while that can consistently launch from outside 50, going back to 09 when even Knights was a huge weapon for us. The beauty of it is that you can transgress defensive lines and keep defenders guessing.

Thanks. Have skimmed, will read.

There was something similar published last year, mainly about the Crows I think, and they showed that expanding the 50m arc by 10m increased the area that defenders have to cover by some ridiculous %age - might have been 30-40%?

We are blessed with Walker, Seedsman and hopefully Smith again, and we should take advantage.
Will probably be able to add The Fog to that list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back