Opinion 2018 Non-Crows Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I think Motlop will be good, near AA squad season

Rockliff will be good, but people will still wonder why he’s not stat slutting like he did at Brisbane. He’ll have a good year but will be undervalued due to unrealistic expectations

The rest will suck dog balls.

You seem pretty sure of yourself sando, Motlop near AA is a pretty silly call tbh given how difficult it is to make AA, and how fickle motlops form usually is.

You seem pretty sure of yourself sando, Motlop near AA is a pretty silly call tbh given how difficult it is to make AA, and how fickle motlops form usually is.

Motlop could be anything - his big challenge in 2018 is that he's a bruise-free footballer. His Uncontested-Contested Possession rate is 3:1. 3 of his 66 marks were contested. He averages 2.5 tackles a game. He was 21st for 1%ers last year at the Cats. He's always had a bunch of contested footballers around him to do the hard stuff.

So his 2018 season completely depends on everyone else. If other players get the contested footy, take the contested marks and lay 8 tackles a game, then he'll play well. If they don't, he won't.

He's the icing. And yet Port Power (and their sycophants on radio and newspapers) think he's the cake.

Motlop could be anything - his big challenge in 2018 is that he's a bruise-free footballer. His Uncontested-Contested Possession rate is 3:1. 3 of his 66 marks were contested. He averages 2.5 tackles a game. He was 21st for 1%ers last year at the Cats. He's always had a bunch of contested footballers around him to do the hard stuff.

So his 2018 season completely depends on everyone else. If other players get the contested footy, take the contested marks and lay 8 tackles a game, then he'll play well. If they don't, he won't.

He's the icing. And yet Port Power (and their sycophants on radio and newspapers) think he's the cake.

This is a great post and you make many valid points, its laughable to think he'll go close to AA tho, Sands needs to lay down for a bit I think.

How does he compare to Brodie Smith?

maybelline_lash_sensational_mascara_253.jpg

His amazing skillz - maybe he's born with it, or maybe it Maybelline. He certainly didn't get them from the coaching & development staff.

253 days until Ollie is out of contract

Why won't Ollie sign?

#signollie

How does he compare to Brodie Smith?

As well as any forward-midfielder compares to a rebounding half-back.

If you're driving at the whole "but Brodie Smith was an AA" argument, you've missed my point. I said Motlop could be anything (including AA), but he's going to need the Port midfield to have a ripper year first. If they don't, he won't.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Doesn't say a lot ab9ut the actual issue. Presumably took a couple of years to sort out custody with the ex. Seems pretty rough that it could take that long. I'm guessing he was after primary custody which you'd think would be a long shot.
Or just after SOME custody? I never understand how adults can behave more like children when it comes to things like this.

You can't measure "nearly" making the AA squad either so we know he will be right when it comes around to it.

I think we need to be a bit sensitive with sands tho, most of us know what he is like in the real world, so be careful with your criticisms of him and his posts.
#Tolerance

Look guys and gals - we all love a Power bash ... but Motlop is not an awful player by any stretch. I personally didn't want him here, but lots did - for decent reason. The guy is a fast, skilled, gut runner that can break open games off his own boot. Not something that should be scoffed at. His downside is significant too ... his effort and consistency across games and the season being the main problems.

We have players on our that just showed us exactly how flakey they could be at THE MOST important time ... we are not without sin in this area.

I don't think anyone thinks Rockliff is a bad pick-up. Watts and Motlop are maybe good / maybe average. The others are fringe of the fringe. Their youth is not bursting through - and some of their best are fighting old player injuries.

We got Gibson and Gibbs - both will feature significantly in our season. Gibbs will be one of our best, Gibson will be more important than some think. Rookies won't feature much - drafted Fogarty might show us something. We have the some injury problems of our own ... but when you add in our growth from our middle age group and it's looking pretty strong again in 2018.

Imo, Power's biggest issue will be the tougher fixture - as they will not get as many easy thrashings of sub-par teams in this season, which will put pressure on both their premiership points and percentage tally. Of course maybe their hybrid super-attacking-highly-defensive heat-map dominating game plan (or whatever it's been labelled) will prove to be as successful as some down Alberton way are predicting ... but I doubt it.

Rockliff isn't a bad player, I just think he's duplicate of what they already had. They were 3rd in contested possessions last year, 3rd in stoppage clearances, 3rd in clearances, 1st in inside 50's, they spent a 1st round pick a few years ago to grab Powell-Pepper, Joe Atley and Willem Drew, who are all inside midfielders, it didn't seem like a super high priority that you'd spend $750K a year for more of the same. I get why they did since he's a FA and you can never have too many quality players, but there was TONS to do in the middle at Brisbane, I just can't see him having the same effectiveness at Port.

Look guys and gals - we all love a Power bash ... but Motlop is not an awful player by any stretch. I personally didn't want him here, but lots did - for decent reason. The guy is a fast, skilled, gut runner that can break open games off his own boot. Not something that should be scoffed at. His downside is significant too ... his effort and consistency across games and the season being the main problems.

Can only assume a pun?

196361_eb5ee74754a21bf5784a7f69f7706f30.png

Ok, I was 3/4 pissed on Saturday but according to a mate, a car manufacturer (Mitsubishi?) pulled the pin at the last minute as it was going to be announced on family day. Next cab off the rank is apparently SPC.

If true, sponsors shooting through before they even start, this has got to be a record, even for the Pear!

SPC
upload_2018-2-20_14-15-2.jpeg

Imagine the cross promotion of "giving everyone the shits"

If true, sponsors shooting through before they even start, this has got to be a record, even for the Pear!

SPC
View attachment 461596

Apparently the other rumour is SPP has to change his initials

SPC
View attachment 461596

Oh that's right SPC have opened an office in China, apparently that's the smoking gun that they're going to be sponsoring Port :D

Agree, like Jenkins, Lynch has a symbiotic relationship with the Club.

Pyke's gameplan, the shape of Adelaide Oval and the strengths of this teammates greatly contribute to his success/effectiveness. Much like Jenkins, he'd look a far worse player at a different club.

I never understood why the Saints got rid of him. A number 8 pick who took a little while longer to come on, big deal. He's quality.

As well as any forward-midfielder compares to a rebounding half-back.

If you're driving at the whole "but Brodie Smith was an AA" argument, you've missed my point. I said Motlop could be anything (including AA), but he's going to need the Port midfield to have a ripper year first. If they don't, he won't.

No. I’m driving the Brodie Smith is as uncontested as any player in the comp line

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back