2019 NTFA season

Remove this Banner Ad

The demise of "amateur" footy clubs is ridiculous match payments. Look at the clubs who have folded, or have been rubbish in recent years. Apart from Prospect, in the past ten years most were paying stupid amounts of money to players who were only there for the money, with the majority of them not being people who really cared about the club. Look at Fingal, when the money stopped, or a max exodus happened, bang!. Tamar was a slow trickle. Perth tried to buy premiership after premiership and continuously failed and look where they landed. Perth have too much history to go under though, but who really knows.

The only people I feel sorry for are the poor saps who have toiled away at the one club for years on end not knowing whats going on at committee level, and those reserves players that look up to their senior players and wonder why they disappear from year to year to other clubs.

After hearing about Longford today it's obvious that the "amateur" comps need a good looking at. Clubs will die and continue to die if they aren't run well and continue to be stupid.

the demise of all clubs in Tassie may be a direct results of Hawthorn and North Melbourne suckin what loyalty and and sponsorship money out of the Tassie population, local sponsors cannot see any $$ value in the local game , pity
Hawks have 8 ,000 members who all have promotional stuff, and i know people only go to there games and not local
I think the losses of clubs statewide must correlate from when they started full time here

The original Statewide competition fell apart well before AFL Games were introduced into the State. Funding and administration (poor) have been the causes. South Launceston a few years ago were the best team in the State, yet they were kicked out the next year. This had nothing to do with Hawthorn playing in Tasmania. Even way back to the original Statewide competition, attendances at games = gate revenue was not enough to cover costs, so funding is the key issue. ie lack of

The demise of "amateur" footy clubs is ridiculous match payments. Look at the clubs who have folded, or have been rubbish in recent years. Apart from Prospect, in the past ten years most were paying stupid amounts of money to players who were only there for the money, with the majority of them not being people who really cared about the club. Look at Fingal, when the money stopped, or a max exodus happened, bang!. Tamar was a slow trickle. Perth tried to buy premiership after premiership and continuously failed and look where they landed. Perth have too much history to go under though, but who really knows.

The only people I feel sorry for are the poor saps who have toiled away at the one club for years on end not knowing whats going on at committee level, and those reserves players that look up to their senior players and wonder why they disappear from year to year to other clubs.

After hearing about Longford today it's obvious that the "amateur" comps need a good looking at. Clubs will die and continue to die if they aren't run well and continue to be stupid.

I think " amateur" clubs ceased many years ago. Hence the competition is these days called the NTFA. Who decides what is a stupid amount of money? It is a Club's decision / choice on what they pay a player. If they do not think a player is worth the money, they do not have to recruit him. If a player is good enough to be paid x dollars then good luck to him. There is more to the situation. too many clubs, not enough players, lack of funding is a big issue. Clubs have to pay large levies to pay for the competition. If the competition received adequate funding to pay for running the competition, umpires, equipment, insurance etc then this burden would be removed from clubs so maybe they could then afford to pay players what they are worth. better playerS cost more but they improve the competition, maybe produce a better product to entice more spectators?? If the NTFA was a higher standard then this would flow through to the TSL which would make them a better standard ? all the discussions on funding has been about the TSL. What about the next level down, the NTFA?

Money had no bearing on Fingal going into recess. The board held meetings in private and sacked Lowe at the 11th hour. Not one senior player was contacted about continuing on at the club.

Money had no bearing on Fingal going into recess. The board held meetings in private and sacked Lowe at the 11th hour. Not one senior player was contacted about continuing on at the club.

Thats really disappointing if none of the players where contacted, if true?

Trouble out at Longford which the club is trying to keep hush hush. The words 'Crisis Meeting' have been used!

Players wanting out in mass numbers to the point where their practice match against Hobart they pulled out of due to not being able to get a side together!
Was told that 4 of their 'young guns' had a meeting with OL's last night and most likely signed!

Also Uni-Mowbray to follow Tamar into recess. Been told they just have enough for one team at the moment. If the NTFA are making Tamar provide a list of 50 players there is no way Uni can go forth either!
I get along to Longford when I can and they are doing ok. They had 45 players on the track wednesday night. There are clubs getting a lot less than that. And I heard the practice game being called off was more to do with players involved with cricket finals.

Tamar had a practice match today - anyone know how they went and if Murfett is still going to play there? Hope they're able to continue on this season. Never nice to see clubs struggling.

I believe they had 23 players (5 or 6 were ring ins) and they had 5-6 players that couldn't make it. I don't think they have a reserves coach yet and if they survive most likely a lot of players will have to double up. They were competitive in their practice match not sure who won but apparently there was only a kick in it and the side they played from the coast was a mixture of reserves and senior players.

Tamar are done from what i hear. Also hear that Uni are on the way out also as they look like they will struggle with numbers

Yea that would help. Only side i hear that has picked up a decent amount is ols but then i dont see that many clearances going through

Lilydale to drop off with Thane away for half the year they also seem to have lost some depth players and I don’t believe they have recruited much will still be a top 5 side though for sure.

St Helens seem to have lost a few gained a few would have to be around where they were last year.

Evandale have extended their depth and it will be interesting to see how they go under their new coaches have recruited quite well

Scotch you never hear much about I haven’t heard what’s going on with the ban at the ground, the 8 players nothing

St Pats have recruited hard again most appear to be twos players wanting an easy flag I expect them to dominate the reserves comp and finish around the same as last year in the seniors

Old Launcestonions under Beechy should be big movers I suspect if they win a few early games there will be some ex launceston and bridgenorth players move out of retirement which could put them deep in finals

Tamar Cats I sadly expect to see fold by no later than round 3 with their current list dispersing to Georgetown, Hillwood, Meander and Old L’s.

Meander look set to improve injecting a couple older players and quite a few young ones into their side they also had a bad run with injuries to last years list they certainly can’t go worse than last year.

Perth as usual were all the hype early but could be destined to disaster with Etchell heading back to Rocherlea how many will follow? Appears a lot of twos players have followed Wilson to uni which will leave them lacking numbers

Uni will struggle under Perrin and struggle for numbers. fair chance if it wasn’t for getting Wilson over from Perth they’d have folded already. Lost a lot of talent from their senior line up and they are in the hands of the footy gods at the moment hoping there’s a good crop of students this year

Bridport is another club you don’t hear much about I expect them to either be where they were last year or taper off a little. They need to keep playing it smart too if they want to stick around the comp

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lilydale to drop off with Thane away for half the year they also seem to have lost some depth players and I don’t believe they have recruited much will still be a top 5 side though for sure.

St Helens seem to have lost a few gained a few would have to be around where they were last year.

Evandale have extended their depth and it will be interesting to see how they go under their new coaches have recruited quite well

Scotch you never hear much about I haven’t heard what’s going on with the ban at the ground, the 8 players nothing

St Pats have recruited hard again most appear to be twos players wanting an easy flag I expect them to dominate the reserves comp and finish around the same as last year in the seniors

Old Launcestonions under Beechy should be big movers I suspect if they win a few early games there will be some ex launceston and bridgenorth players move out of retirement which could put them deep in finals

Tamar Cats I sadly expect to see fold by no later than round 3 with their current list dispersing to Georgetown, Hillwood, Meander and Old L’s.

Meander look set to improve injecting a couple older players and quite a few young ones into their side they also had a bad run with injuries to last years list they certainly can’t go worse than last year.

Perth as usual were all the hype early but could be destined to disaster with Etchell heading back to Rocherlea how many will follow? Appears a lot of twos players have followed Wilson to uni which will leave them lacking numbers

Uni will struggle under Perrin and struggle for numbers. fair chance if it wasn’t for getting Wilson over from Perth they’d have folded already. Lost a lot of talent from their senior line up and they are in the hands of the footy gods at the moment hoping there’s a good crop of students this year

Bridport is another club you don’t hear much about I expect them to either be where they were last year or taper off a little. They need to keep playing it smart too if they want to stick around the comp
That's a great rundown for div 2, can you do the same for div 1 or are you more interested in div 2

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

That's a great rundown for div 2, can you do the same for div 1 or are you more interested in div 2

I think division 1 has less movement than division 2 at this stage & will be a fairly even comp.

South seemed to have picked up Logan barker old western storm/south player and some player from NWFL whose meant to be good, I think they may have lost a fair few players but you never know if all are true such as Viney’s x3, Mountney, Carlson, Bennett, Patton & Will Campbell. Jake Laskey signed at St Pats. They should still be up there as they have a good coach & good systems.

Bracknell seem to have lost a few key players themselves in Gelstone, Tunks, Nunn & Chorley. I also did hear Mulder may not play. They’ve recruited Majak Mair & a few returning players in Lang & Page. I’d imagine them to make the 5 and be up there, but not as far above the others as last season

As usual don’t know much of Scottsdale, they’ve still got Geoff as coach and Rooza is there so they will be well drilled. Lockie Young went to North but don’t know too much else. Would expect them to be around top 3 again.

Rocherlea are probably the team that will be a lot less competitive than last year. The Etchell Brothers went back there but they’ve lost some of the best players in Cousens, Hilton, Iles, Brown, Johnson & Gale to name a few.

Hillwood should be improvers on last year, heard Withers signed the other week & has been training & I haven’t seen many clearances go through. Looks like they have picked up Jake Chamberlain and Adam Humzy from div 2 who are both very good players and had Braidy Squires on their fb page the other week so should be better again.

Longford started off preseason well under new coach Roydon and there was a bit of talk about them with Gossage coming back & heard Symmons from Devonport went there but also heard there was Cal Walker and a couple of other younger leaving recently. Should push the top 5.

Bridgenorth, probably the biggest recruiters with the youngest coach and probably will be the biggest improvers with mckelwee, zannetto and Duncan all back who are quality and picked up Griffiths and mcCulloch as well, tipping them to make the 5. Very young so will be interesting.

GeorgeTown have recruited 3 Development league players from North but they won’t replace Squires , Zanevra or Josh Knight so unsure where they will be at. Very young still.

Deloraine, new coach and seems to be liked more than the other. Lost Jade Smith and a couple of others that went there with him also lost mulvey and Cosslett but they have picked up Dylan Schnoor, will smith and josh Murray so they should be improvers , just not sure if much at all

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Stopped in to watch Lilydale and Old L’s practice match tonight was a really good game with both sides moving the ball really well. Lilydale looked much the same as last year although looked like they had adjusted their game to not rely on Thane as much in preparation for him missing half the year they had most of their premiership side playing with a few younger kids who looked like they fitted into the game plan well. Tuckerman was strong down forward in a well balanced side. Old L’s appeared to play a much more structured game of footy than in previous years had a their main crew from last year minus what they lost. the guys they picked up from campbell town and longford really boosted their depth they lacked a target up forward but were without Field Reeves if they can pick up a couple more A graders I think they will really push for a top 3 spot.

In other news uni appear to be out of trouble with a flock of students signing up, Tamar have found a reserves coach however that had around 15 at training tonight so they have a lot of work to do in a short period of time.

Who else has some news to share?

Stopped in to watch Lilydale and Old L’s practice match tonight was a really good game with both sides moving the ball really well. Lilydale looked much the same as last year although looked like they had adjusted their game to not rely on Thane as much in preparation for him missing half the year they had most of their premiership side playing with a few younger kids who looked like they fitted into the game plan well. Tuckerman was strong down forward in a well balanced side. Old L’s appeared to play a much more structured game of footy than in previous years had a their main crew from last year minus what they lost. the guys they picked up from campbell town and longford really boosted their depth they lacked a target up forward but were without Field Reeves if they can pick up a couple more A graders I think they will really push for a top 3 spot.

In other news uni appear to be out of trouble with a flock of students signing up, Tamar have found a reserves coach however that had around 15 at training tonight so they have a lot of work to do in a short period of time.

Evandale beat Bridgenorth on Friday night. Billy Jack has returned and looked really good early. Chuggy would have kicked 7-8 for the night and looks set for a huge year. I think Mitch Stagg is back too, he got a heap of ball in the second half from what I saw. Much the same from the Dale again this year, maybe a touch quicker with some of the older guys retiring from last year.

Savage is gone. didn’t hear anything about Johnson tho. looks like ols will struggle for numbers now. will winnaleah replace prospect?
How are OLs going for numbers now? Seeing a few quality recruits on their Facebook page?

How are OLs going for numbers now? Seeing a few quality recruits on their Facebook page?
From what i've been told from a mate they haven't had under 20 all pre season. Sounds like they could be the dark horse going into the season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back