Rumour 2018 Off Season Rumours

Remove this Banner Ad

2018 Off Season Rumours regarding the Western Bulldogs

IN (Red=Hot; Orange=Warm/Lukewarm; Blue=Cold; Black=not enough info yet)
  • Daniel Menzel (Geelong) has also been mentioned as a possible acquisition (Nixon 12 Oct)
  • Jacob Townshend (47 games, 25yo Richmond) has been mentioned by multiple sources as a possible WB target (10 Oct).
  • Will Hayes (Footscray VFL) - could be rookie listed (VD). Or could be secured from GCS as their priority state league pick. (VD, 9 Oct)
  • WB understandably are very keen on Bailey Smith in the draft ... if he lasts that long
  • Connor Rozee also in WB sights but has now shot up the draft rankings and is unlikely to last until pick #7
  • Multiple sources saying we are keen on Jordan Clark in the National Draft (23 Oct).
  • Anthony Scott (Richmond VFL & Old Trinity VAFA) a 23yo midfielder being interviewed by WB and St Kilda (afl.com, 15 Sep)
OUT
  • Lukas Webb - a possible retirement due to fractured vertebra in his neck (source?)
  • Tom Campbell - contract yet to be renewed
  • Mitch Honeychurch - contract yet to be renewed
STAYING
COACHING and OTHER CLUB MATTERS
  • Coaching role changes now confirmed - see below.
=============================================================
OFFICIAL (confirmed by WB website)
See https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/offseason-news-2018-19.1203366/#post-57666076

NEW
  • Sam Lloyd (Richmond, 28yo) traded for pick 68
  • Taylor Duryea (Hawthorn, 27yo) traded for a future 4th round pick
STAYING
  • Tom Liberatore has signed a 1-year plus trigger contract
  • Roarke Smith has signed contract extension to 2019 (1 yr)
  • Dale Morris has signed contract extension to 2019 (1 yr)
  • Billy Gowers has signed a contract extension until 2020 (2 yrs)
  • Lin Jong has signed a contract extension until 2020 (2 yrs)
  • Tory Dickson has signed a contract extension until 2019 (1 yr)
  • Mitch Wallis has signed a contract extension until 2021 (3yrs) rejecting free agency opportunities
  • Brad Lynch has signed a contract extension until 2020 (2yrs)
GONE
  • Jordan Roughead traded to Collingwood for pick 75
  • Marcus Adams traded to Brisbane for pick 32 and a future third round pick (tied to Hawthorn's position)
  • Luke Dahlhaus has gone to Geelong as an unrestricted free agent. Nominal compensation pick for WB is #25. (5 Oct)
  • Clay Smith retired
  • Shane Biggs retired
  • Jack Redpath retired (announced 17 Sep)
  • Kieran Collins delisted
  • Nathan Mullenger-McHugh delisted
COACHES
No new personnel but a raft of changes as part of the club's coaching career path:
  • Daniel Giansiracusa will coach Footscray VFL side (was stoppages coach)
  • Steve Grace will become midfield coach (was VFL coach)
  • Steven King promoted to Senior Assistant Coach and coach of Defensive Systems and Backs
  • Ash Hansen will be coach of Offensive Systems and Forwards
  • Joel Corey will be coach of Stoppages and Set Plays (was midfield coach)
  • Rohan Smith remains Development Manager with two assistants:
    • Jamie Maddocks (Opposition and Development coach)
    • Jordan Russell (Development coach)

Last edited:
This is a repository for off season rumours relating to the WB list and other appointments or official moves.

Keep discussion to a minimum. I'll try to maintain an updated summary in the OP, but only for credible rumours with half-decent sources. People make up stuff all the time for shits and giggles.

It'll help if you can post
  • the rumour
  • the source
  • the likelihood and/or reliability of the source
So far there's very little indeed. A few murmurings about getting Josh Kelly in 2019 (or even 2018), Billings, Shiel, Brad Hill etc but as far as I can see these are all just wish list items and/or day-dreaming. At this stage anyway.

Last edited:
FWIW, not the most reliable source but a mate knows someone who’s mates with Brad Hill. Says it’s all BS & he’s very happy being at Freo, not sure how the rumour started

Isn’t there noise about us being into Sam Lloyd from Richmond?
Yes that seems to be the only actual link to a player so far rather than the other 'wishful thinking' type players.

Also, dogwatch , Mark Stevens has said that both West Coast and St Kilda are interested in Roughy.

Doesn't appear to be a source to the rumour but SEN is reporting we are interested in Scott Lycett.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks for the updates. It's hard to keep up! I'm now down to being only about 500 posts behind in the trade thread. They get added almost faster than I can get through them!

I've updated the OP and added two headings:
  • STAYING - players who might have been in doubt but are now rumoured to be set to extend and remain on the list
  • OFFICAL - this is really just for the sake of completeness so you don't have to flick between threads too much. The content here is comprehensively covered by Wizard17 's thread of confirmed offseason news. Inevitably there's going to be some overlap/fluidity between the two threads. (Not trying to steal your thunder Wiz)

Last edited:
Roughead meeting with West Coast (Mark Stevens & Mitch Cleary). Stevo saying he'll be offered a two year deal and Cleary reiterated that St Kilda also interested. So same news as you've already got but a bit of progression.

My guess is that trades out will be Rough and Dahl. Don't want to lose Adams.

I'm surprised Roughead would not be looked at by GC as they need a mobile ruck and forward pinch-hitter.
Love Dahl but can't kick over a jam jar and if the Cats want him for four years then good luck to him.

No idea why we'd take Lloyd from the Tigers. Not quick and couldn't get a game. Last thing we need is another slow flanker. Rather back Suckling, Gowers, Lipinski, Dickson, Jong and Greene as small-medium forwards.

Next year's team

FB: Crozier Cordy Wood
HB: Williams Naughton Hunter
C: Johannisen Wallis Macrae
HF: Maclean Shache Suckling
FF: Dickson Gowers English
FOL: Trengove Bontempelli Liberatore
INT: Richards Daniel Morris Dunkley
EMG: From Lynch Lipinski Greene Dale Jong

Have not included Picken or Boyd as who knows whether they'll get out on the park. Adams not listed due to trade rumors above.
English to have his break out season.

Not rumour. Fact.

From the horse's mouth.
Nay, I take a different view. And this is not a shot at you, BTW.

Fact is when it's announced by the club on its website or in a media release/interview. Until then it's rumour.

Nay, I take a different view. And this is not a shot at you, BTW.

Fact is when it's announced by the club on its website or in a media release/interview. Until then it's rumour.
No worries.

As per your thesis it does sound like ol' mate from the age jumped the gun on Wallis too. Definitely should remain in your unconfirmed rumours column.

Why no Gaff and Shiel ins? It came from from various sources and rumor still a rumor.

Why no Gaff and Shiel ins? It came from from various sources and rumor still a rumor.
If you can quote some credible sources I'm happy to include them but all I've seen so far are BF posters speculating what it might take to get one of those two players. That's probably happening on every club board on BF at the moment. That's different to a well-sourced rumour that indicates the club is actively chasing them. (NB: I've given jdz101 some leeway on this occasion re his Giansiracusa rumour, because he is adamant and I don't think he usually sprouts BS on that stuff.)

So far, the club has been commendably tight-lipped about its off-season plans, so there hasn't been much to report - either in the media or in this thread.

Have not included Picken or Boyd as who knows whether they'll get out on the park. Adams not listed due to trade rumors above.
English to have his break out season.

:eek: Toyd will be ok ...... surely ??????

That's a couple of times you've used that phrase, which I interpret as meaning the subject himself told you. Is that the case? Gia himself told you?
That is generally as the saying goes.

He was forthright with the information aswell. It wasnt as if he was leaking secrets. Purely just came up in conversation.

I wouldn't go spreading it like wildfire as no doubt the club would prepare a release. Just an interesting tidbit

Remove this Banner Ad

Back