Competitions 2018 Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Pick 66 - Sydney - Riley Grundy

Much needed KPD depth for the Swans. Good all round player who doesn't have too many weaknesses. Size and aerial ability are strengths (not in the Jeremy Howe way, but as far as spoiling and taking one on one marks he does very well) and he'll probably be up to playing as an AFL KPD after 2-3 years. Would be rated a lot higher if he was Victorian.

Jeremias

Last edited:

Pick 66 - Sydney - Riley Grundy

Much needed KPD depth for the Swans. Good all round player who doesn't have too many weaknesses. Size and aerial ability are strengths (not in the Jeremy Howe way, but as far as spooling and taking one on one marks he does very well) and he'll probably be up to playing as an AFL KPD after 2-3 years. Would be rated a lot higher if he was Victorian.

Jeremias

Really like this kid

With pick 67 Richmond select Tom Joyce.

Looking at another midfielder here and one who I think we could look back on as a bargain.

Much higher rated heading into this year but has had injuries in 2018 which have kept him out for most of this year.

From all reports is a very hard working kid with real leadership traits, there's not much of him but he's got a good mix of pace and endurance.

Another who I'd be pretty happy to stash at VFL level for a year or two whilst he builds his body up before transitioning to senior level.

The Smoking Gun

Pick 68: Aaron Nietschke 184cm 77kg, 26/5/2000, Central District/SA, Balanced Mid

Very similar player style of player to Jacob Kennerley and his production at SANFL U18 very closely mirrored that of his South Australian team mate. Didn't get as much game time at the U18 Carnival as Kennerley due to having to share his time on the wing with Connor Rozee & Jack Lukosius among others. Nevertheless, I quite liked what he produced whenever he did get the opportunity to showcase his wares.

AN Combo2.jpg

Comes with a bit of versatility in that you can use Nietschke on a wing, across half-back or, if need be, a starting mid inside the square where he's shown he can snaffle a clearance or two. Generally I'd describe him as an "outside-leaning" player where he can use his pace and endurance to work his opponent over. Nietschke's excellent form throughout the SANFL U18 season, where have averaged in excess of 30 possessions a game, saw him rewarded with 3 SANFL League appearances towards the end of the season. Although I think this about his draft range, I'm glad to pick Nietschke up here as he's the type of player suited to the hard and fast decks of WA.

HARKER you're up mate.

With pick 67 Richmond select Tom Joyce.

Looking at another midfielder here and one who I think we could look back on as a bargain.

Much higher rated heading into this year but has had injuries in 2018 which have kept him out for most of this year.

From all reports is a very hard working kid with real leadership traits, there's not much of him but he's got a good mix of pace and endurance.

Another who I'd be pretty happy to stash at VFL level for a year or two whilst he builds his body up before transitioning to senior level.

The Smoking Gun
Good Choice. Don't think you'd have to wait that long providing you can get him fit. Needs to tidy up his kicking out of congestion as he can often just bang it out of stoppages, but his distribution by hand is very good and his production was on a very similar level to Walsh's as a 17yo. Given that he had to play against the bigger bodies of LDU, Cerra, Parish, Constable, Worpel, Brayshaw, Rayner, etc as an underager gives an idea as to how good his efforts at the 2017 Carnival were. Kid could be anything.

Pick #69 Collingwood - Sam Fisher (Northern Blues)

I really don't know at this stage. Memory of who I liked has somehow deserted me and players I wanted, well gone.
At least I watched Fisher and felt at times that there was something there worth developing.....and at other times, not so much so....Anyway.

Jimmae

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pick 70 - Essendon - Xavier O'Neill

Outside-leaning mid who was unlucky to not make an U18 Champs appearance this year, and channelled that disappointment into consistent showings for Oakleigh, then a stellar combine performance.

Has just enough size about him that he should develop his inside game in a professional program, but otherwise uses the ball excellently and has pace and general athleticism to burn. Delivers the football very well forward of centre, which is a quality much needed in modern footy.

This pick helps make up for my not noticing Tom McKenzie was still on the board at pick 37, and he's a good chance to be off the board earlier than this if his combine invite is any indication.

Over to you, gandaal

Pick 71: St Kilda- Jye Bolton

Dual and reigning Sandover and Simpson medalist. Was rookie and dumped by Collingwood before he was ready. He's done all he can at the lower levels and now he needs another opportunity at the highest level. At 26 it's now or never for Jye. Ballwinning midfielder with excellent skills.

Pick 74 Carlton - Angus Hanrahan

Position: Forward/Outside Midfielder
Club: Sandringham Dragons/Vic Metro
D.O.B: 9/8/00
Height: 182cm
Weight: 70kg

Hanrahan offers great value later in the draft, as I see him as slightly underrated. Exciting forward, who has an impressive ability to impact a match inside 50, and does not need many touches to influence the contest. While he can be inconsistent at times, has shown he has some draftable qualities. Classy, composed and an ability to move into the midfield and run off a wing. Has very good vision, excellent by foot and makes quick decisions by hand

He will add a point of difference to a forward line and has high upside. Similar to the likes of a Josh Thomas at the Pies

Another Dragons player, to go along with Smith

Last edited:
Pick 74 Angus Hanrahan

Write up to come

Jimmae do I have another pick before you?
Nope!

Pick 75 - Geelong - Jai Nanscawen

A largely forgotten member of a very dominant 2017/2018 Stingrays side that had his season completely ruined by injury. Managed a 6 goal haul before going down, as well as 21.3 YoYo in the pre-season, which would have placed him just shy of the top 10 at the National Combine.

Ideal attributes for a modern pressure forward who can immensely hurt teams the other way (29 goals last year), and at 184 cm with not much meat on his bones, he has the scope to develop into an outside midfield prospect, and perhaps more.

Had he remained uninjured and had his chance to step into the midfield more this year, he probably would be talked about as more of a 2nd round chance, but clubs will be closely studying his footage and medical reports in order to project his AFL scope.

This concludes Geelong's draft, with the final haul being: Liam Stocker, Jack Ross, Hugo Munn, Matthew McGannon, Oscar Brownless, and Jai.

Ok, now you can pick.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back