39 - Dale Thomas

40 - Jesse Glass-McCasker

41 - Levi Casboult

42 - Kym Lebois

44 - Alex Silvagni

45 - Cillian McDaid

46 - Matthew Wright

Last edited:
So as of now (30/10/2017), the 'free' numbers for 2018 are: 2, 4, 7, 18, 19, 21, 24, 27, 37, 45, 47 and 48 - possibly a few more to come.

Have we ever had 3 free top-10 numbers available at one time?

The new guys coming in who are yet to be assigned a number are:
  • Matt Kennedy
  • Darcy Lang
  • Matthew Lobbe
  • Pick 3
  • Pick 10
  • Pick 30
Throw your thoughts in the comments below or better still - let us know if you find out any insights/hints as to what these might be.

My personal opinion FWIW is:
  • Kennedy >> #7
  • Lang >> #21
  • Lobbe >> #24
  • Pick #3 >> #2
  • Pick #10 >> #18
  • Pick #30 >> #19
  • Retire #27 for a year in honour of Dennis
  • Upgrade Cuningham to #4
Of course, personal preference and choice may play a part, so who knows!

Agree with most, but keep #2 for BSOS. Pick 3 gets Bryce's #4.

Agree with most, but keep #2 for BSOS. Pick 3 gets Bryce's #4.
I would agree, but even moreso agree that there's no guarantee BSOS will come on or be the star we're hoping. Jack had to bide his time to earn the #1 and I loved the romance around it... but now #1 is gone - I don't get the need for anymore romance in that regard.

Give Ben whatever number available when drafted - of which I'm expecting to be very late because you know... high risk... possible shoulder injury etc ;)

Then if he performs, see what number is available - probably #11 by that point (Sorry Kedge).

So as of now (30/10/2017), the 'free' numbers for 2018 are: 2, 4, 7, 18, 19, 21, 24, 27, 37, 45, 47 and 48 - possibly a few more to come.

• Matt Kennedy
  • Darcy Lang
  • Matthew Lobbe
  • Pick 3
  • Pick 10
  • Pick 30
Throw your thoughts in the comments below or better still - let us know if you find out any insights/hints as to what these might be.

• Kennedy >> #7
  • Lang >> #21
  • Lobbe >> #24
  • Pick #3 >> #2
  • Pick #10 >> #18
  • Pick #30 >> #19
If Armfield is getting his jersey retired for a year then surely Gibbs deserves the same.

I would agree, but even moreso agree that there's no guarantee BSOS will come on or be the star we're hoping. Jack had to bide his time to earn the #1 and I loved the romance around it... but now #1 is gone - I don't get the need for anymore romance in that regard.

Give Ben whatever number available when drafted - of which I'm expecting to be very late because you know... high risk... possible shoulder injury etc ;)

Then if he performs, see what number is available - probably #11 by that point (Sorry Kedge).
He should go for #99.

If Armfield is getting his jersey retired for a year then surely Gibbs deserves the same.

We don't tend to do that for players who have left us. Waite, Betts, Henderson, Tuohy, Bell, Yarran ... all had their numbers filled the following year. I'd suggest Gibbs is held in higher esteem than that but equally those high numbers are symbolic of faith in a player so can see it being filled.

Anyone's guess what personal preference may be.
Kennedy...... #7.....just seems suited to Dom and Ratts (midfield core 5, 7, 8, 9)
Move Byrne to his Irish mates #21, also puts his locker in cluster Plowman, Marchbank, Weitering defensive group.
Mullett #18, (or 19, unless we have Rayner plans) defensive cluster.
Lobbe #24
Lang #16
Leaving 2(seems like BSOS), 4, 12, 18/19, 27(Haileybury cluster), 37, (38), 43, 45, etc. for draftees.
(would be happy to move HarryMac to #4 to escape "curse of #10"....get rid of Turf Toe.
A bit of nonsense fun.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May be a sensitive subject for some, but why do we need to keep #2 aside until next year? I'll stand corrected but i don't remember any historical relevance the Silvagni's have with #2. Give it to our first pick or Kennedy.

Kennedy-4
Lang-21
Lobbe-37
Pick 3-2
Pick 10-7
Pick 30-18
Mullet-12

That was very similar to my thoughts. The only players that should, in my mind, be hard to gauge as to the numbers they get are Lang and Lobbe. I just get a feeling Lobbe might go even higher.

So as of now (31/10/2017), the 'free' numbers for 2018 are: 2, 4, 7, 12, 16, 18, 19, 21, 24, 27, 37, 43, 45, 47 and 48 - possibly a few more to come.

• Matt Kennedy
  • Darcy Lang
  • Matthew Lobbe
  • Pick 3
  • Pick 10
  • Pick 30

• Kennedy >> #7
  • Lang >> #21
  • Lobbe >> #24
  • Pick #3 >> #2
  • Pick #10 >> #18
  • Pick #30 >> #19

EDIT: Now have 9 x free in the top 25 - insane. Take your pick new boys.
C.Curnow in 43...please!!!

Is 18 our most unluckiest number ? I never remember a star player wearing it . Justin Murphy is the only one I can really recall. It would seem a cursed number to wear. Let’s retire it for good.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Peter Sartori wore it for a few seasons in the late 80s. Got traded to Fitzroy as part of the Greg Williams mega-deal in 1992.

May be a sensitive subject for some, but why do we need to keep #2 aside until next year? I'll stand corrected but i don't remember any historical relevance the Silvagni's have with #2. Give it to our first pick or Kennedy.

It would be ridiculous to do so.

#2 should just go to #3, as otherwise it will really smack of nepotism and nepotism from a long way out. Shouldn't be done.

Is 18 our most unluckiest number ? I never remember a star player wearing it . Justin Murphy is the only one I can really recall. It would seem a cursed number to wear. Let’s retire it for good.

Sub-151 games records for numbers:

9. Ken Hunter 147
17. Charlie Davey 143
18. Arthur Sanger 116
24. Matthew Allan 140
27. Dennis Armfield 145
34. Alex Marcou 134
38. Jeff Garlett 107
39. Ang Christou 150
40. Michael Jamison 150
41. Levi Casboult 94*
45. Anthony Franchina 105
46. David Ellard 63
47. Peter Francis 47
48. Jordan Doering 18
49. Andy Lucas 11
50. John O’Connell 11
51. Dean Strauch 2
52. Heath Culpitt 6
53. Simon Minton-Connell 1
54. Wayne Harmes 1
55. Mark Buckley 4
56. Ang Christou 1

I meant to do this as sub-150 games but couldn’t resist making the cut off 151 so I could include Ang Christou twice with 39 and 56.

18 does stand out as the ‘worst’ of the good numbers. I also like that the record for 9 should be Crippa’s in about 4 years (when we’re winning flags...)

http://www.blueseum.org/Carlton+Games+Records+by+Guernsey+Number

Remove this Banner Ad

Back