Opinion 2018 Player Numbers

Remove this Banner Ad

May be a sensitive subject for some, but why do we need to keep #2 aside until next year? I'll stand corrected but i don't remember any historical relevance the Silvagni's have with #2. Give it to our first pick or Kennedy.

Appears they are saving #43 for BenSOS = omen??????

Strangely enough I only got two of them right, and those were the two I predicted as certainties.

Kennedy with 7 and Schumacher with 19.

CARLTON 2018 GUERNSEY NUMBERS:
1 - Jack Silvagni
2 - Paddy Dow
3 - Marc Murphy
4 - Lochie O’Brien
5 - Sam Petrevski-Seton
6 - Kade Simpson
7 - Matthew Kennedy
8 - Matthew Kreuzer
9 - Patrick Cripps
10 - Harry McKay
11 - Sam Kerridge
12 - Tom De Koning
13 - Jed Lamb
14 - Liam Jones
15 - Sam Docherty
16 - Darcy Lang
17 - Sam Rowe
18 - Aaron Mullett
19 - Angus Schumacher
20 - Lachie Plowman
21 - Jarrod Garlett
22 - Caleb Marchbank
23 - Jacob Weitering
24 - Cameron O’Shea
25 - Zac Fisher
26 - Harrison Macreadie
27 - Matthew Lobbe
28 - David Cuningham
29 - Cameron Polson
30 - Charlie Curnow
31 - Tom Williamson
32 - Nicholas Graham
33 - Jarrod Pickett
34 - Andrew Phillips
35 - Edward Curnow
36 - Patrick Kerr
37 - Matthew Shaw
38 - Ciaran Byrne
39 - Dale Thomas
40 - Jesse Glass-McCasker

41 - Levi Casboult
42 - Kym Lebois
44 - Alex Silvagni

45 - Cillian McDaid
46 - Matthew Wright

I figure we will only turn over 6-8 players next year with the lead candidates coming from those in bold

BSOS - I am hearing we are unlikely to draft him due to all his problems but let's say we take him in Round 5 next year just for kicks, I suggest we hand him No. 11 - sorry Sam you better pull your finger out cause it just looks right

Last edited:
I figure we will only turn over 6-8 players next week with the lead candidates coming from those in bold

BSOS - I am hearing we are unlikely to draft him due to all his problems but let's say we take him in Round 5 next year just for kicks, I suggest we hand him No. 11 - sorry Sam you better pull your finger out cause it just looks right

Don't think we will be turning over any players anytime soon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I figure we will only turn over 6-8 players next year with the lead candidates coming from those in bold

Don't agree with BSOS #11.
Laurie Kerr, Carlton Hall of Fame wore #11. If his grandson develops as is being reported, is surely first in line should S.K vacate #11.

FWIW, I see Kerridge hanging around longer than most seem to think. They can't all be best 22,
he is a great trainer, a great example for the kids. I reckon he has 2-3 years left.

4 plus a couple of rookies to make way next year (Graham, Thomas, Rowe, one of Lamb/Simpson/
Kerridge/Wright, most likely, with JGM and LeBois needing big years as rookies, and ASOS depending how his fragile body is standing up). Hearing BSOS & Manton locks and Hickmott? as F/S's. Maybe only one
general pick and a couple of rookies next year.

With 2 tall F/S's, best available mid with first would be ideal if we can "hide" the boys.

Last edited:
Don't agree with BSOS #11.

FWIW, I see Kerridge hanging around longer than most seem to think. They can't all be best 22,
he is a great trainer, a great example for the kids. I reckon he has 2-3 years left.
Agree with you here. Can't have 44 stars on the list and at worst Kerridge is a very, very good VFL player. The key to a good AFL team is having depth and pressure on positions.

I honestly never give a stuff about what number players wear but then when it came to tonight I found myself excited. It's been a long offseason.

It's important. It takes me back... schooldays when kids would wear their duffel coats to school with their favourite players' numbers stitched on them... going to games with all the fans supporting their favourites through the numbers on their jumpers... numbers made special by special players... legendary player names on club lockers, showing the unique history behind each number, etc.
Numbers take on a special significance in our game.
Can you imagine being an 18yo player, going to your new locker with your new number on it, and seeing the names of 100+ game players who have worn your number with distinction over the past 100-odd years? How lucky and how proud would you feel to be wearing that number?

It's a characteristic of footy where the number actually becomes part of a player's identity and persona rather than simply indicating their position in the team as in other codes.

any idea what the second comment at the bottom of the above article means? anyone? anyone at all?

I suspect Al from country Vic was referring to the 2 numbers mentioned in the article title. Big Nick, Diesel, Sticks , Buzz and Gibbs. Decent DNA for Paddy and Lachie to inherit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back