Autopsy 2018 post-trade week wrap!

Nov 11, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
We could have a look around, but i'm not sure there will be a lot of takers. To me, we were very very precise with the picks we got and where they are in the draft. I could be wrong, but looks to me like we will try take 18 and 30 to the draft, then use 35 and remainder maybe on matching academy picks. To bring in Neale and still get 2 live picks in the top 30 in what is considered a strong draft is a great result.

While our first round pick next year drops back to Collingwood's first, we still scored Suns 2nd round pick, which will be early 20's. We go into next year with another 3 picks between 12-30. I consider that a big win.

My main line of thinking behind what I said in the post you have quoted is I spoke to someone at the club who said they still really wanted to attack this draft and complete their 3 year draft plan whilst still adding quality players through the trade. It seems to me they really want to hit this years draft hard and have players in mind that they think will round off the list.

My main line of thinking behind what I said in the post you have quoted is I spoke to someone at the club who said they still really wanted to attack this draft and complete their 3 year draft plan whilst still adding quality players through the trade. It seems to me they really want to hit this years draft hard and have players in mind that they think will round off the list.

Don't disagree with that at all. But i would say if they wanted to bring in players and experience but also hit the draft, then they nailed that brief. Not everyone needs to be top 10. This is meant to be a strong draft, and i think pick 18 and 30 probably brings in a couple of good players we have our eye on, with McFadyen after that.

Aug 31, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Trade wrap from hun.love the Minogue sisters analogy!

BRISBANE

IN: Marcus Adams Lachie Neale, Picks No.6, 18, 19, 30, 32, 35, 41, 44, 54, 56, 57, 77 Lincoln McCarthy, Port Adelaide’s future third-round pick, Gold Coast’s future second and third-round picks

OUT: Dayne Beams, Sam Mayes, Picks No.5, 6, 19, 24, 28, 32, 41, 44, 42, 55, 58, 60, 79, future first-round pick, future third-round pick

DRAFT PICKS: 18, 30, 35, 56, 78

SAM EDMUND SAYS: Got Dannii Minogue in, but lost sister Kylie. How they would have loved to have added one star midfielder to another, but while Lachie Neale was arriving, Dayne Beams was leaving. Still, getting two first round picks for Beams is a fat silver lining and when a contracted Neale wants to join your club, it’s significant. Paid a bit for Marcus Adams, but he was contracted at the Dogs, and picked up injury-prone Cat Lincoln McCarthy for next to nothing.

GRADE: B+

Brizzys Squizzy

All Australian
Sep 9, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Trade wrap from hun.love the Minogue sisters analogy!

BRISBANE

IN: Marcus Adams Lachie Neale, Picks No.6, 18, 19, 30, 32, 35, 41, 44, 54, 56, 57, 77 Lincoln McCarthy, Port Adelaide’s future third-round pick, Gold Coast’s future second and third-round picks

OUT: Dayne Beams, Sam Mayes, Picks No.5, 6, 19, 24, 28, 32, 41, 44, 42, 55, 58, 60, 79, future first-round pick, future third-round pick

DRAFT PICKS: 18, 30, 35, 56, 78

SAM EDMUND SAYS: Got Dannii Minogue in, but lost sister Kylie. How they would have loved to have added one star midfielder to another, but while Lachie Neale was arriving, Dayne Beams was leaving. Still, getting two first round picks for Beams is a fat silver lining and when a contracted Neale wants to join your club, it’s significant. Paid a bit for Marcus Adams, but he was contracted at the Dogs, and picked up injury-prone Cat Lincoln McCarthy for next to nothing.

GRADE: B+
What hppen to pick 55 have seen a couple of write ups now that show only pick 56 Im confused

Jun 27, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
IMG_6703.JPG

I think this will be a win-win deal with Sydney. They won’t be using 26 as a draft pick anyway; we would have to forfeit 56 due to lack of list sports; they get more points and will have their next possible pick earlier than before.

Jun 27, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
View attachment 575579

I think this will be a win-win deal with Sydney. They won’t be using 26 as a draft pick anyway; we would have to forfeit 56 due to lack of list sports; they get more points and will have their next possible pick earlier than before.

I should add that it would be entirely dependent on how confident we will be where McFadyen is bid on.

BigCat2

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 10, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Based on 2018 season finishes, our 2019 picks look like this:
17, 20, 22, 40, 41, 58

We might flip a 2019 pick into a 2018 pick for a bigger go at this year's draft? Only issue is number of list spots available.

John_Proctor

Club Legend
Apr 17, 2009
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
If we only have 3 live picks we have to be a bit careful in trading picks to avoid a deficit carried over to 2019.

If a bid comes at 24, 30 matches it and 35 is clear as a pick. If a pick doesn’t come before 30 then we can use 35.

If we traded say 30and 35 for 20. And a bid for macfadyn comes at 25 we’d only have pick 56 to match and have a 500 point deficit.

Can you trade future picks still or only current picks?

Most likely pick trade imo is a future pick trade. Say our future 2nd for Gold Coast pick 24 (our original 2nd) this year if Gold Coast had no use for it with all their first round picks, the three players they got off other lists and the 3 state league players they’ve already signed.

John_Proctor

Club Legend
Apr 17, 2009
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I give it 7/10.

If Adams and McCarthy are available for 20 games a year the next 3 years it goes up to 8/9 out of 10. If they stay as injury riddled players 5/6 out of 10.

JeffPapers

Debutant
Oct 17, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Like most I'm overall pleased with the outcome. In saying that, trading out our 2019 first takes away that silver lining of a top draft pick that comes with a bottom 4 finish. Really hoping we don't struggle again next year and the upward trajectory continues.

Haven't seen much game-time of Neale admittedly but the hype around him has made me excited as a fan to see him in action. In retrospect getting him in this year was super important in making sure we continue our upward trend in playing ability and culture in the face of Beams' departure. Would've been challenging for the club to market 2019 to the fans with Beams gone and no Neale.

On Beams, wish the bloke all the best but do really feel disappointed by him. Really got around him mentoring the young guys and his BnF speech so its hurt to end up seeing him leave us, especially in that manner. Always thought he would at least play a final as Lions captain one day.

Brizzys Squizzy

All Australian
Sep 9, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Out 2019 first ,in Coll 2019 first +GG 2019 second + 2019 Freo third +78(this year)
This line alone deserves 10/10 if we manage to have a half decent year and we death-ride Collingwood out of the eight.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

lioninthesand

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 22, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Like most I'm overall pleased with the outcome. In saying that, trading out our 2019 first takes away that silver lining of a top draft pick that comes with a bottom 4 finish. Really hoping we don't struggle again next year and the upward trajectory continues.

Haven't seen much game-time of Neale admittedly but the hype around him has made me excited as a fan to see him in action. In retrospect getting him in this year was super important in making sure we continue our upward trend in playing ability and culture in the face of Beams' departure. Would've been challenging for the club to market 2019 to the fans with Beams gone and no Neale.

On Beams, wish the bloke all the best but do really feel disappointed by him. Really got around him mentoring the young guys and his BnF speech so its hurt to end up seeing him leave us, especially in that manner. Always thought he would at least play a final as Lions captain one day.

At least we dont have to have that stupid tanking discussion. We will actually be barracking us up the order!!

Back