Autopsy 2018 post-trade week wrap!

My guess is about the same amount of times as your criticism's of Dayne Beams for anything he did last year.

As an aside, I haven't knocked Jarryd Lyons at all; just questioned the club's interest in a player delisted and dropped multiple time by one of the worst clubs in the league last season and by offering that same player a 3 year deal (and not learning by giving players of such ilk too long a deal).

To be fair, I did imply he was a hack, which I'll admit is probably a tad harsh, however I stand by my questioning of not being somewhat concerned why we'd give 3 years to a guy that was delisted and dropped multiple time by the Suns of all clubs.

they're reasonable questions, I'd say most had umbrage with the label of hack and then instead of replying logically to the different parts of your post just decided to incorrectly bundle it all up into that one statement

3 years for me isn't a massive issue. I guess it was a choice between pick 56 for two years or Lyons for 3 with obvious salary differences. It does reduce our list spot flexibility for one more year in 2021 than a draft pick would which is something but not huge.

Absolutely there are questions as to why he's been let go by two clubs with the GC one being the biggest. I'm not as concerned with the Adelaide call, he was behind Sloane and the two Crouch's in that workhorse inside mid role and was offered a 3 year contract by Gold Coast as opposed to a 1 year contract with Adelaide, that one doesn't seem like a red flag to me. Now clearly he has some deficiencies (like most inside mids) so he's not going to be a top line well rounded mid all of a sudden.

The Gold Coast release is an intriguing one, on the surface it seems strange but I guess its a case that they brought in some similar players in Miles and really like Brodie for that role. It would be naive to think that there mustn't have been some issue between the coaching staff and Lyons for them to just release him like this but we're pretty obviously backing ourselves and the environment we've created to turn around those issues. Lack of two way running has been one mentioned a fair bit, but on its own it doesn't make complete sense. Perhaps he hasn't been the leader off the field they expected him to be and with a young group lacking in young leaders then thats something that may have swayed the decision. Not every player is set to be a leader, even if they are older. While we are young, we have certainly created a culture that has multiple leaders and role models for others and i'd be hoping that the example set by others would encourage him to a higher standard.

Its not like there would be many surprises from both sides. Lyons would have a very good idea about how the club works from his brother and the environment we have, and Noble and Ambrogio would have a very good idea of the person he is and his pro's and cons.

So while the move on the surface seems a little strange in its timing and the way its played out, there aren't a lot of massive unknowns on each side which has left me less concerned than I might have been had those existing links not been there.

May 20, 2015
Maleny, Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Could there be a bit of salary cap in this. I'm still staggered that the suns had any cap issues at all but if they were looking to free up some to re-distribute to youth and incoming draft picks that might be a small part of this. With the Suns having extra $ and paying overs to get mature players in he could have been a little extra. The Crows took what they could get for him to help out on the Gibbs deal that year and the Suns had their own issues loosing mid fielders. He is what he is, the stats are not that bad and he is basically free to us. Maybe he was shopped around and in a deeper draft no one wanted that price on loosing a draft pick. My view is that we say an opportunity to get a reasonable player, gave the Suns a wink and his Manager and suggested if they delisted him while still on contract we would pick it up. the suns save money that's now immediately available, his manager gets commission on 3 or 4 years, and he gets to play with his brother and has 3 or 4 more years in the game. We get to fill a bit of a hole with some upside. Winners all round to me, good deal for all.

bungalow_bill

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 11, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Dew not liking a player because he doesn't run hard enough defensively is a bit of the pot and kettle to me.

Same with Beams and yet two first rounders. As long as other players take up the slack. There would be a few gun players who aren't the best two way runners.

bungalow_bill

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 11, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Also find it difficult to believe that not one club was interested in a guy who is very close to Cripps in terms of clearances.

V Cripps is very interesting considering we got Lyons for free and Cripps would likely command two first rounders.

Lyons Cripps
19 Games 22
Kicks Per Game 11.8
9.8 Handballs Per Game 17.9
24.5 Disposals Per Game 29.6
2.7 Marks Per Game 4.2
0.4 Goals Per Game 0.5
Behinds Per Game 0.7
5.5 Tackles Per Game 6.3
0 Hitouts Per Game 0
3.8 Inside 50s Per Game 3.9
0.3 Goal Assists Per Game 0.3
1.2 Frees For Per Game 3.1
1.0 Frees Against Per Game 2.0
13.6 Contested Possessions Per Game 17.6
10.3 Uncontested Possessions Per Game 12.4
14.7 Effective Disposals Per Game 20.1
60% Disposal Efficiency % Per Game 67.9%
4.0 Clangers Per Game 4.5
0.2 Contested Marks Per Game 1.2
0.3 Marks Inside 50 Per Game 0.5
7.3 Clearances Per Game 7.7
Rebound 50s Per Game 1.3
1.1 One Percenters Per Game 1.1
0.1 Bounces Per Game 0.4
76.7 Time On Ground % Per Game 89.5
2.4 Centre Clearances Per Game 3.3
Stoppage Clearances Per Game 4.4
4.5 Score Involvements Per Game 5.4
Metres Gained Per Game 254.2
5.4 Turnovers Per Game 4.5
2.7 Intercepts Per Game 2.6
0.6 Tackles Inside 50 Per Game 0.7
$593,000 AFL Fantasy Price $765,000
95.0 AFL Fantasy Score Per Game 109.3
$448,000 Supercoach Price $595,300
92.5 Supercoach Score Per Game 119.4

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Absolutely thrilled to pick up Jarryd Lyons, huge get for us.

Having Lachie Neale and Jarryd Lyons as the 2 main inside beasts releases Jarrod Berry to float forward a bit more and take more grabs. I think Lyons will be great competition for Rhys Matheison as well, lets hope he steps up.

Just on this, look at this bit regarding Langford. How is this crafty list management? Wouldn't Hawks have a spare spot anyway since he retired?
Yeah, it's not list management - it's cap management. The payout would need to be under the cap, presumably, whereas retaining him on the rookie list takes a chunk out of that.

Absolutely thrilled to pick up Jarryd Lyons, huge get for us.

Having Lachie Neale and Jarryd Lyons as the 2 main inside beasts releases Jarrod Berry to float forward a bit more and take more grabs. I think Lyons will be great competition for Rhys Matheison as well, lets hope he steps up.
A starting midfield of Martin with Neale, Zorko, Lyons/Berry/McCluggage doesn't look too shabby at all.

Jul 22, 2007
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
One of the knocks on Lyons was "work ethic" I suppose if you were to try and find a generic term...

It seems to me that work ethic often relates to morale, opportunity and circumstance. Something tells me that our management think they can get more out of Lyons than he was giving at GCS.

There is zero doubt he is talented, and able to perform at the level needed to break into our 22 when he is at his best. Looks like we've backed ourselves to get the best out of him on a weekly basis - something that probably excites him as much as us, in the way it does Adams and McCarthy.

3 years ago I would have laughed at the idea we could lift the expectations of players. Today I believe we actually can.

I still smile thinking that.

John_Proctor

Club Legend
Apr 17, 2009
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Time on ground is the most interesting comparison in the Cripps Lyons above.

Lyons 13% less game time. I expect that is the sign of ‘fitness’ that GCS we’re concerned about. Similar game time to Cam Raynor this year.

100th in the league last year was 86%... so he’s a long way back on that stat, if it is reflective of his ability to run out a game.

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Scuderia Ferrari, Dallas Cowboys
Suns medical and conditioning staff are a walking joke. His fitness will improve here with our better support crew and the extra motivation that comes with a stronger culture.

This bloke is smarter than what he gets credit for, hope he is right in this instance

List lodgement deadline if gone. we can not delist any more players (even to re-rookie them). We have three spots on our primary list. We must have three spots on our primary list for the draft.

Only way we could get Cyril is if he nominated for the National or Rookie Drafts, and we picked him up there. Not gonna happen!

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
List lodgement deadline if gone. we can not delist any more players (even to re-rookie them). We have three spots on our primary list. We must have three spots on our primary list for the draft.

Only way we could get Cyril is if he nominated for the National or Rookie Drafts, and we picked him up there. Not gonna happen!

Isn’t there a second list lodgement date and second delisted free agency period still to come?

Isn’t there a second list lodgement date and second delisted free agency period still to come?
I'm not certain. I'm just working off another post I read a few days back. I know there are a few list lodgement deadlines, and I thought this was the last for delistings (hence the speight of delistings a couple of days back), but it's quite possible that I'm completely and utterly wrong.

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
I'm not certain. I'm just working off another post I read a few days back. I know there are a few list lodgement deadlines, and I thought this was the last for delistings (hence the speight of delistings a couple of days back), but it's quite possible that I'm completely and utterly wrong.

Wednesday 31 October 2pm - List Lodgement (1) ; Rookie Promotion to Primary List; Retained 2nd & 3rd Year Rookies; International Scholarship Player; Alternate Talent Player Nominations; Club Notification of Rookie Players Not Accepting a Contract of Offer; Nomination of Draft Eligible Father/Son; Northern Academy, Next Generation Academy Players Lodged; TPP Pre-Season Estimates (1).

Thursday 1 November - AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (1) Commences

Thursday 8 November - AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (1) Closes, Out of Contract Listed AFL Primary List Players Draft Nomination Form and Player Request for Removal from List Form Lodged with AFL

Friday 9 November 2pm - List Lodgement (2); TPP Pre-Season Estimates (2)

Saturday 10 November - AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (2) Commences

Friday 16 November 2pm – NAB AFL Trade Period Closes (for exchange of selections only).

Friday 16 November 2pm - Delisted Primary List Draft Nomination Form Lodgement; Non–Retained Rookie Players Draft Nomination Form Lodgement; Players Not Registered or Played for Three years Rookie List Form Lodgement; New or Expired (after 3 years) Draft Nomination Form Lodgement, AFL Father-Son Bidding Nominations, Final Draft Nomination Form Lodgement.

Friday 16 November 5pm - AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (2) Closes

Back