David C

All Australian
Aug 16, 2017
Noosa
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Brisbane Lions
Who ever we delist can be picked up in the National Draft by another club. With so few ruckmen in this years draft, we could possibly lose Archie to another club.
Someone like Skinner or Corey Lyons would be low risk of being picked up by another club, Bastinac is the obvious option.

Sep 24, 2009
Right here
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Australian International Sides
Whitecross is joining north as a development coach. So those of you who still listen to Ricky Nixon should probably stop.

Yep...Said when it was first floated...that he has built a thriving landscape business in Melb...Couldn't see him leaving that and he would be at another Vic side..

http://nomadiclawn.com/

So that’s the off-season finished, overall pretty happy with the whole

Simplistic view I know, but we’ve basically

Upgraded an aging star to another younger star, who’s fits our list needs and age profile perfectly. Added mature depth to all parts of the ground with Adams, Lyons and McCarthy. Then hit the draft and ended up with a first round and 3 x 2nd round talents. We also picked up a couple of extra future picks. Also going off this year, the suns future second rounder could be a very strategic pick up too.

The negative being we took a significant downgrade on our first round this year, and likely a decent downgrade next year. Looking at the above, don’t think we could complain too much.

What I do like especially is the potential pairing or grouping of players we’re starting to establish.

A defensive trio of Harris, Adams and Dizzy looks really good. Harris can take the really big forwards, Dizzy the smaller mobile Bruest types, with Adams I view as a good match up for the new explosive forward, De-Goey, Dusty, Danger etc, i didn’t really view anyone as a good matchup on our list prior

Neale and Zorko being our prime midfielder, compliment each other really well. Having one inside and the other outside should hopefully lift each other’s game higher.

Our next generation of inside midfielders. Berry (hopefully x2), Smith, Bailey, Starc, Rayner. All have a combination of being big, strong, agile and explosive. Hopefully makes for exciting times.

Also get the feeling we’re moving to a more modern team orientated defensive game style. While someone like Lyons may have been picked up, who may lack in this area. I don’t think it will be too long til it basically a mandatory requirement for selection.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
After trading for two inside mids and drafting another for, on top of Bailey & Starcevich last year, I wonder if Ben Keays looks for other options if the mid season trade period comes in next season.

Gold Coast didn’t pick up one mid during the draft, though they traded in three or four.

Scubaveg

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 6, 2009
Carina
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
After trading for two inside mids and drafting another for, on top of Bailey & Starcevich last year, I wonder if Ben Keays looks for other options if the mid season trade period comes in next season.

Gold Coast didn’t pick up one mid during the draft, though they traded in three or four.

There was talk of him moving to the Goldie this of season. Get the feeling it would have happened if the Suns showed any interest.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

He's an idiot if that's the case... not best 22 here and I doubt he will be by the end of the season. To give himself the best chance for a career he should have tried to get to the Suns.
I dunno?
Maybe because he actually loves the club and would like to give himself every chance to succeed at the club he supported ever since he was a little kid!
Just a thought!

Sep 14, 2012
Broadbeach
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I dunno?
Maybe because he actually loves the club and would like to give himself every chance to succeed at the club he supported ever since he was a little kid!
Just a thought!
I know but it just seems odd from a career perspective. I mean if I knew I was not going to get a promotion at my current job and I'm at the bottom of the pile but another potential opportunity comes up with potentially great career progression opportunities I'd probably jump ship. IMO of course.

I know but it just seems odd from a career perspective. I mean if I knew I was not going to get a promotion at my current job and I'm at the bottom of the pile but another potential opportunity comes up with potentially great career progression opportunities I'd probably jump ship. IMO of course.
Yep, and I think that there is every chance that after this year, if not getting senior opportunities, that may very well be what happens.

Sep 14, 2012
Broadbeach
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Yep, and I think that there is every chance that after this year, if not getting senior opportunities, that may very well be what happens.
I like Keays I hope he can carve himself out a career at the Lions but with our recent acquisitions I will admit it has gotten a bit harder for him. Just don't know were the improvement will come from.

I like Keays I hope he can carve himself out a career at the Lions but with our recent acquisitions I will admit it has gotten a bit harder for him. Just don't know were the improvement will come from.
Unfortunate for him, but I honestly think that the game has kinda gone past slow midfielders. Sides can probably cater for 1 maybe 2 at best. But it is not and area that can be greatly improved. And for him he has other areas that he still needs to work on. And coming into his 4th year in the system.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
It’s only a mid season draft isn’t it; I don’t recall mention of a trade period between AFL club’s mid season but I could be wrong.

Sep 24, 2009
Right here
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Australian International Sides
Did Nathan Freeman ex Coll & St K end up anywhere; there was talk of a GC as a possibility?
Nah.....
Rookie draft update

ROUND 1

1. Hugh Goddard (Carlton)

2. Michael Rischitelli (Gold Coast)

3. Callum Wilkie (St Kilda)

4. Ryan Bastinac (Brisbane Lions)

5. Ethan Hughes (Fremantle)

6. Lachie Young (Western Bulldogs)

7. Kieran Strachan (Adelaide)

8. Tom Jok (Essendon)

9. Tobin Cox (Port Adelaide)

10. Tom McKenzie (North Melbourne)

11. Tom Atkins (Geelong)

12. Durak Tucker (Sydney Swans)

13. GWS Giants passed

14. Damon Greaves (Hawthorn)

15. Kade Chandler (Melbourne)

16. Jake Aarts (Richmond)

17. Tim Broomhead (Collingwood)

18. Harry Edwards (West Coast Eagles)

ROUND 2

19. Tom Bugg (Carlton)

20. Jack Leslie (Gold Coast Suns)

21. Jacob Allison (Brisbane Lions)

22. Tobe Watson (Fremantle)

23. Jordon Sweet (Western Bulldogs)

24. Paul Hunter (Adelaide)

25. Matt Dea (Essendon)

26. Cameron Hewett (Port Adelaide)

27. Kyron Hayden (North Melbourne)

28. Harry Reynolds (Sydney Swans)

29. GWS Giants passed

30. Will Golds (Hawthorn)

31. Melbourne passed

32. Jacob Townsend (Richmond)

33. Sam Murray (Collingwood)

34. Josh Smith (West Coast Eagles)

ROUND 3

35. Carlton Passed

36. Brad Scheer (Gold Coast Suns)

37. Ryan Nyhuis (Fremantle)

38. Western Bulldogs Passed

39. Jordon Butts (Adelaide)

40. Essendon passed

41. Tom Wilkinson (North Melbourne)

42. Kurt Tippett (Sydney)

43. Tim Mohr (Hawthorn)

44. Melbourne passed

45. Mabior Chol (Richmond)

46. West Coast passed

ROUND 4

47. Harrison Wigg (Gold Coast Suns)

48. North Melbourne passed

49. Will Langford (Hawthorn)

50. Richmond passed

ROUND 5

51. Gold Coast Suns passed

52. Richmond passed

Mar 20, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Well Nick Dal on SEN reckons we have picked up the player who will the best recruit in 2019, Mr Diamond of course.

“I’m going to go with someone that is already a really good player, but I think we’ll start to appreciate more because I think this team will significantly improve their output this year – and it’s Lachie Neale,” Dal Santo told SEN Afternoons.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2018/11/27/dal-santo-names-the-recruit-to-watch-in-2019/

Jan 13, 2016
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Well Nick Dal on SEN reckons we have picked up the player who will the best recruit in 2019, Mr Diamond of course.

“I’m going to go with someone that is already a really good player, but I think we’ll start to appreciate more because I think this team will significantly improve their output this year – and it’s Lachie Neale,” Dal Santo told SEN Afternoons.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2018/11/27/dal-santo-names-the-recruit-to-watch-in-2019/
I'v always considered Dal Santo a very astute commentator ;)

Back