Autopsy 2018 post-trade week wrap!

Remove this Banner Ad

Well Nick Dal on SEN reckons we have picked up the player who will the best recruit in 2019, Mr Diamond of course.

“I’m going to go with someone that is already a really good player, but I think we’ll start to appreciate more because I think this team will significantly improve their output this year – and it’s Lachie Neale,” Dal Santo told SEN Afternoons.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2018/11/27/dal-santo-names-the-recruit-to-watch-in-2019/

Really though, if Lyons can negate the loss of Beams' midfield presence then adding adding Neale to the rotations should make us a much better midfield unit. I am genuinely excited to see what they can produce.

Really though, if Lyons can negate the loss of Beams' midfield presence then adding adding Neale to the rotations should make us a much better midfield unit. I am genuinely excited to see what they can produce.

Yeah agree. We'll see how it pans out, but first impressions is that it is pretty shrewd how we've brought in two of the top 5 clearance players / contested ball winners in the league. If we're relying less on Zorks in the coalface it reduces the impact to the team if he gets a heavy tag & struggles with it. Normally I'm pretty pumped about Cricket season, but not this year. It's just getting in the way of the start of the 2019 footy season.

Smith Lyons Zorko & Neale is one impressive group of starting inside mids. With the likes of Rayner Berry & Bailey rotating through. We will never lose a CC ever again

Beams signs four-year deal with Magpies

Collingwood have signed prodigal recruit Dayne Beams to a fresh four-year deal, contracting him until the end of the 2022 season.

Beams, who turns 29 in February, has agreed to a deal that will see him paid considerably less than he had been in Brisbane, but with the trade-off a longer term.

Beams signed a six-year deal with the Lions that was heavily front-loaded, with the contract dipping significantly in 2019 and 2020. He was due close to $500,000 for each of those two years, having had the Lions' share, so to speak, in the first four seasons when he was among the highest-paid players in the competition.

Collingwood's tight salary cap has meant that the Magpies needed to stretch out the payments to Beams over a longer period than a player of his age would normally receive.

Wonder what the odds are he makes it through to 2022?

Would hate to see it go pear shaped for Collingwood! :)

Yeah...on less for the magoos during the twilight years..

Beams, who turns 29 in February, has agreed to a deal that will see him paid considerably less than he had been in Brisbane, but with the trade-off a longer term.
Collingwood's tight salary cap has meant that the Magpies needed to stretch out the payments to Beams over a longer period than a player of his age would normally receive.

its annoying beams left, he could have been so much more effective on the outside as Neale took his inside role...whatever lets not open that can of worms again, he was a flog

its annoying beams left, he could have been so much more effective on the outside as Neale took his inside role...whatever lets not open that can of worms again, he was a flog
His effectivenes as an outside player from here on is doubtful anyway.

His effectivenes as an outside player from here on is doubtful anyway.
Would have been worthwhile slotting him in the forward line. Very smart around goal and strong 1v1 and a good mark. Even if he only spent 40% of the time in the midfield he would have had enormous value to the team.

Would have been worthwhile slotting him in the forward line. Very smart around goal and strong 1v1 and a good mark. Even if he only spent 40% of the time in the midfield he would have had enormous value to the team.

Possibly. Although, I do remember many Lions fans saying the same thing about an ageing Michael Voss. Many of us (including me) thought Vossy would finish his career as a Leigh Matthews type forward because he seemed to have all the attributes - great overhead, good on the lead, nice kick for goal etc. The issue for Vossy (and maybe it will be the same for Beams) was that the physical deterioration that meant he couldn't perform as well in the midfield meant that his effectiveness as a forward was also greatly diminished. Vossy lost a lot of his explosive power, agility and run late in his career - which were a big part of who he was as a footballer. He needed those things to succeed as a forward. As a result, he was a bit of a sad figure up forward, to be honest. I think we're seeing the same with Ablett Jnr. Ablett's sheer brilliance as a footballer has kept him competitive in the midfield but I didn't think much of him when he went forward last season.

The other aspect is that when you are a mid pushing forward, you don't always get a good defender match up. But, as a permanent forward, the defenders are given a match up and generally have a plan to take away from your strengths.

FWIW, I actually think Beams will have a really good year next year as a mid changing forward. But I don't know that I agree that he would have been valuable as a more permanent forward and I think there are real question marks on him in the latter years of this new contract.

He wouldn't be a decent forward. How many other forwards are there of his height with his lack of agility and defensive pressure.

Maybe 20 years ago but he's not a forward in the modern game. I'd be more than happy to have Dizzy shut him down or Witherden run off him and have 40 touches.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon Collingwood would know he has one or maybe two good years left. And it will have to involve some time forward because he won't be able to do the rotations off the bench the younger guys can. And their window is open now. It's not likely to be open for long with their age profile.

He wouldn't be a decent forward. How many other forwards are there of his height with his lack of agility and defensive pressure.

Maybe 20 years ago but he's not a forward in the modern game. I'd be more than happy to have Dizzy shut him down or Witherden run off him and have 40 touches.
If it is Beams you are talking about, l remember he did get a 6 goal game in one of the matches he was playing forward. He definitly could be a decent forward in today's game as he is good on a lead, good hands and can kick accurately over 50m. The issue is that he is injury prone and probably doesn't have many years left. I don't think he would have to do any inside work at Collingwood which would help that cause.

If it is Beams you are talking about, l remember he did get a 6 goal game in one of the matches he was playing forward. He definitly could be a decent forward in today's game as he is good on a lead, good hands and can kick accurately over 50m. The issue is that he is injury prone and probably doesn't have many years left. I don't think he would have to do any inside work at Collingwood which would help that cause.

that was garbage time footy mate

Seems like Beams is now a terrible player with nothing left to offer all because he left. We have some short memories and while he has some limitations as a player he was runner up in the B&F the last 2 years.

25 possessions and almost a goal a game aren't bad for a broken down hack.

Seems like Beams is now a terrible player with nothing left to offer all because he left. We have some short memories and while he has some limitations as a player he was runner up in the B&F the last 2 years.

25 possessions and almost a goal a game aren't bad for a broken down hack.

Good job taking a few posts completely out of context.

Wow, some people here are talking beams up for the Brownlow mighty early.

Luckily my superior football intellect allows me to shut down these bigfooty plebs. Hehe.

Pretty sure Collingwood didn't recruit him to be predominantly a forward. Will have to do plenty of inside work in 2019 at least, thereafter who knows?

Beams seemed to be able to kick that Captain’s Goal fairly frequently. Might have seen a couple of blowouts this year if not for his good kicking from 50 under duress.

Beams seemed to be able to kick that Captain’s Goal fairly frequently. Might have seen a couple of blowouts this year if not for his good kicking from 50 under duress.

Not going to see a 'captains' chase down tackle though or intercept mark or big spoil

Remove this Banner Ad

Back