Opinion 2018 Potential Draftee and Trade Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Have look at Jake Gasper number 26 for Chargers... Kicked 6 on the weekend after recent outing of 3 and 4

Gasper hits Calder for six

Jake Gasper continued his impressive goalscoring form of late in the TAC Cup with a bag of six against Calder in Round 12 action at the weekend. His half-dozen comes after hauls of three and four against Metro opponents in the previous two rounds, bringing his tally to 27 for the season. Gasper collected 16 disposals, three marks and two tackles to go with his bag of goals. The impressive feat helped Oakleigh to an important 18-point win over fellow top eight contenders Calder, as the likes of bottom-ager Noah Anderson stepped up with three goals and likely Collingwood father-son Will Kelly also pitched in with 21 disposals and eight marks across the back half.

https://www.afldraftcentral.com.au/tag/jake-gasper/

Have look at Jake Gasper number 26 for Chargers... Kicked 6 on the weekend after recent outing of 3 and 4

Gasper hits Calder for six

Jake Gasper continued his impressive goalscoring form of late in the TAC Cup with a bag of six against Calder in Round 12 action at the weekend. His half-dozen comes after hauls of three and four against Metro opponents in the previous two rounds, bringing his tally to 27 for the season. Gasper collected 16 disposals, three marks and two tackles to go with his bag of goals. The impressive feat helped Oakleigh to an important 18-point win over fellow top eight contenders Calder, as the likes of bottom-ager Noah Anderson stepped up with three goals and likely Collingwood father-son Will Kelly also pitched in with 21 disposals and eight marks across the back half.

https://www.afldraftcentral.com.au/tag/jake-gasper/

Nice kick, also liked the 8, 10 & 22.

A late value pick, Boyd Woodcock from North Adelaide. Kicked three goals in a winning SANFL grand final in front of 44k people. Quick, smart small forward.

A late value pick, Boyd Woodcock from North Adelaide. Kicked three goals in a winning SANFL grand final in front of 44k people. Quick, smart small forward.

He is the 27, right.?

Isn't Gryan Miers one we drafted last year to cover this.? Not to mention Jones.

I understand with Linc & Cory on the way out we need another small fwd, instead of having to play others already on the list, out of position.

He is the 27, right.?

Isn't Gryan Miers one we drafted last year to cover this.? Not to mention Jones.

I understand with Linc & Cory on the way out we need another small fwd, instead of having to play others already on the list, out of position.

He didn't get an invite to the national combine so he's really a rookie chance only. I don't think there'll be anyone as talented as him available in the rookie, free hit.

I felt this bloke was extremely unlucky to be overlooked in the 2018 draft. Sounds like he is an absolute professional. I hope he dominates the SANFL in 2020 and gets his shot on an AFL list. Wouldn't look out of place taking over from Joel Selwood in our engine room.

Sturt Football Club midfielder Tom Lewis hopes to make SANFL league debut after injury, draft pain

He suffered a double blow which might have been enough to crush most young footballers, but Sturt’s Tom Lewis has achieved a brilliant feat just seven months after a season-ending knee injury.

Patrick Keam, The Messenger

As Tom Lewis led his teammates around the course for Sturt’s opening 2km pre-season time trial, all he could think was “I’m not coming second in this – I’ve trained the whole year for it.”

So he won it and, while the victory may seem like a minor one, for Lewis it meant a whole lot more.

This time last year the 19-year-old had just been overlooked in the AFL draft and then tore his ACL a few months later in April.

Most young footballers would have been crushed by the double devastation.

But not this tough midfielder.

“Early on I struggled a fair bit mentally with not being able to train every day and then watching my teammates go out and play as a team each week,” Lewis says.

“But I thought ‘what’s the point sitting down and wasting time?’

“So I set my mind to getting back as quick as I could.”

Lewis describes the year off football as “almost a blessing in disguise”.

Eight months after knee surgery he has run a half-marathon, learnt to kick as well on his right foot as on his natural left and says he is fitter now than he has ever been.

He’s also training for a sprint triathlon.

Lewis’s supreme fitness has come through a lot of hard work – after his knee reconstruction he did 200 single-leg squats on each leg every day for three months straight – and a stack of mental toughness.

And it’s helped him tick off a list of goals he set out after doing the injury, including winning that time trial.

“It was a good start, it’s not going to set me up for round one, but it’s a good starting point to get ready for next season,” Lewis says.

“I’m really happy with the progress. It’s obviously early days but as long as I keep ticking boxes I’ll be happy.

“I’m hunting down that round one spot for sure.”

Lewis, who still holds AFL aspirations, is yet to make his league debut but was a key part of SA’s 2018 under-18 championship-winning side.

The Double Blue was considered among the most unlucky prospects not to find an AFL home in that year’s draft.

He also won Sturt’s reserves best and fairest the same season, which included a highlight against the Eagles where he recorded 30 disposals, 11 tackles, eight inside-50s and a goal.

So the step up to seniors in 2020 is not out of reach, and Double Blues coach Nathan Grima agrees.

“Once he got his head around the disappointment, he just set himself to be good to go for us in 2020,” Grima says.

“The way he’s going, I think he’s going to play a lot of league footy.

“I think sometimes long-term injuries change people’s thinking on the game. He’s so mature for his age and I hope he gets a good run at it now so we can see the best of him.”

This is great news - Sandringham's Darcy Chirgwin is joining the Falcons and our VFL team for 2020. I wanted him as a rookie, and when the Cats selected Brad Close, Stephen Wells was on the phone to Chris Scott saying something like "There was 190cm option but we felt Close would make a bit more of a difference next season," I wouldn't be surprised if Chirgwin is who he had in mind.

AFL prospect Darcy Chirgwin lands at Falcons to boost draft hopes

AFL prospect Darcy Chirgwin will return to the region this year to push his draft claims after being overlooked by recruiters last year.

Toby Prime, Geelong Advertiser

January 21, 2020 3:00pm

AFL prospect Darcy Chirgwin will return to the region this year to push his draft claims after being overlooked by recruiters last year.

Chirgwin completed his VCE at Melbourne Grammar last year and played with Sandringham Dragons, where he was spruiked as one of the NAB League club’s top draft chances.

The strong-bodied midfielder will play with Geelong Falcons as a 19-year-old this year and for Geelong’s VFL team.

Sandringham deemed him unlucky to not be recruited and believed he deserved a place on an AFL list.

Chirgwin could be in line to regular state-league exposure following recent rule changes, which stipulate each club must play a 19-year-old.

Geelong Falcons talent manager Michael Turner said Chirgwin remained a bright prospect but his conditioning and strength needed improvement.

“He’ll train at Geelong two nights a week and he’ll train with us one night a week,” Turner said.

“If Geelong selects him in the VFL he’ll play for them and if he’s not selected for Geelong, he’ll play for us.

“Hopefully we can develop him a little bit more during the year and get him drafted.”

The St Mary’s product broke his leg in a training mishap in January last year but dazzled in his return game, impressing with 32 disposals and 16 tackles in Round 11 against Eastern Ranges.

Such is Chirgwin’s talent, he received a Vic Country call-up for the under-18 national championships.

He was twice listed as Sandringham’s best player, including the wildcard round against Geelong, and was often one of the club’s leading disposal winners, averaging 25 possessions and five clearances in seven NAB League games.

Chirgwin also tested at last year’s national draft combine and played in the under-17 Futures game on AFL grand final day in 2018.

Turner said Chirgwin would work closely with the club’s high performance manager, Matt Critchley.

“He’s the one who got Cooper Stephens back after his broken leg last year and got him really fit,” he said.

“Not all players are ready-made but if he (Chirgwin) gets to an AFL club and if we get a hold of him and develop him, he’s got a lot of potential to develop physically.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back