Training 2018 Pre Season Discussion and Progress

Remove this Banner Ad

Mills will training with the mids this whole pre season and is likely to move there in 2018

Was mentioned last night to me
He looked good when moved out of defence in the Geelong game, made a couple of things happen and was still trying hard when we were getting flogged

Is there anything to the Heeney knee soreness? Can't find the link bit I'm hoping it's nothing serious.

Mills will training with the mids this whole pre season and is likely to move there in 2018

Was mentioned last night to me

I'm against the grain a bit here but I though Mills was targeted as a weak link in our defence last year so I'm happy to see him move to the midfield

I'm against the grain a bit here but I though Mills was targeted as a weak link in our defence last year so I'm happy to see him move to the midfield

Doubt it will get any easier in the midfield though. I always thought he was too slow to make the transition to the midfield but plenty of players with good skills can make up for that. Would still like a player through their with true exceleration from a contest.

now k. jack is getting on they are looking at ronke and florent becoming those players to burst away from a stoppage.

those referring to florent as an outside runner obviously didn't watch him in his draft year. he is a very good inside player.

Doubt it will get any easier in the midfield though. I always thought he was too slow to make the transition to the midfield but plenty of players with good skills can make up for that. Would still like a player through their with true exceleration from a contest.

Agree with your concerns. I hope he splits his time between the forwards and mids.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is there room for Mills in the midfield? The same was said last preseason IIRC?

Parker, JPK, Hanners, Heeney, Hewett, Zak Jones already in the midfield. Not sure you have a replacment for Milla down back either?

He was targetted down back for a reason and i feel his interception and play making is second to none. Who replaces those attributes?

Parker, JPK, Hanners, Heeney, Hewett, Zak Jones already in the midfield. Not sure you have a replacment for Milla down back either?

He was targetted down back for a reason and i feel his interception and play making is second to none. Who replaces those attributes?
I'm with you on this, but we are a very small voice on the Swans board.

Imo, Mills has been an outstanding find in defence. I know of no-one who could replace him. I agree that his ability to read the play and intercept, his decision making, his leadership skills and his unbelievable courage, are brilliant. While I don't mind the occasional run through the middle, I think that he should remain where he is and in years to come, take a 'Hodge' like role down back. Rampe will be 28 this year, and you would think he has three to five years at most left. Mills is 21 this year, and should be coming to the peak of his career as Rampe retires, and the succession of our defence would be guaranteed.

I'm with you on this, but we are a very small voice on the Swans board.

Imo, Mills has been an outstanding find in defence. I know of no-one who could replace him. I agree that his ability to read the play and intercept, his decision making, his leadership skills and his unbelievable courage, are brilliant. While I don't mind the occasional run through the middle, I think that he should remain where he is and in years to come, take a 'Hodge' like role down back. Rampe will be 28 this year, and you would think he has three to five years at most left. Mills is 21 this year, and should be coming to the peak of his career as Rampe retires, and the succession of our defence would be guaranteed.

I'm a third voice to our small group, I think he's invaluable down back.

I'm a third voice to our small group, I think he's invaluable down back.
Play down back with rotation through the midfield. For me Hewett is the one to spend more time in the midfield, even more than last year. Reckon this year is when the greater AFL community will see what he's truly capable of.

I’m not certain we had the luxury last year to play him in the middle, at least earlier in the season. With a heavy injury list Mills was needed down back to stem any blowouts.
It’s a credit to our defenders that our % wasn’t terrible, and that served us well later in the year.

I’m a huge fan of Mills in defence, he’s utterly fearless approach at the ball is a little frightening some times. I get that Horse wants a more attacking drive out of defence and that might account for more midfield time for Mills.

People can say what they want but I am sort of looking forward to seeing AFLX for the first time. That is only about 7 weeks away.
I'm worried that some of the rules will bleed over to the proper game. Not a fan of the concept tbh.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back