2018 general discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

Good to see Dewy has already come in and identified what we are sh*t at (everything) and got us working hard on contested stuff and getting the ball back when we lose it. Hopefully the days of us just letting opposition teams score a goal so we can get the ball back are past us.

The music thing is pretty neat as well. Would liven training up a bit as well.

http://www.goldcoastfc.com.au/video/2017-11-30/suns-tv-insight-into-preseason

Unfortunately Iva, it seems that's the way our Country is heading. I don't want to get into the politics of it all, suffice to say i'm happy with my lot and do not envy anyone trying to bring children up in the climate we're heading into.
I've had a saying for a long time when speaking to ex-pats over here that "you can't help where you're born, some of us are just luckier than others". Mainly in response to the Poms who keep calling us Aussies convicts.
Maybe it's time to change it to "you can't help where and when you're born etc.".....Cheers

Drum that common sense into all of those Refugee haters please..

Where are all the inside scoops on player positions and team structures i came in here for? :greenalien:

Drum that common sense into all of those Refugee haters please..

Where are all the inside scoops on player positions and team structures i came in here for? :greenalien:

I think we find ourselves in the position where Evans has tightened the ship so not much is coming out through our usual back channels (e.g. Thurls) and the digital/social media department has gone downhill so not getting much from official channels so its a bit of a media black out at this stage I'm afraid :(

Crossley was just on the Gold Coast News. He said it was a dream come true to become an AFL and was happy to be staying local.

With the Gold Coast SUNS list finalised, this year's draft crop have had their guernsey numbers allocated.

Draftee Wil Powell takes over the No. 27 from Ben Ainsworth, who switched to No. 9 earlier in the off-season.

Academy product Brayden Crossley has been allocated the No. 32 , while Charlie Ballard will wear No. 31 and Connor Nutting No. 42.

The additions from the rookie draft have also been given their numbers - Joshua Jaska (37), Nick Holman (39), Jacob Heron (40) and Jacob Dawson (45).

Went to a lunch at Burleigh Bombers who had Stewie as their guest speaker today. Barry Round hosted it, was pretty funny stuff. Stewie was very impressive today and waaay more relaxed than his first few media interviews.
Covered off his time as a player but said he got by on talent and was comfortable as a player and wanted to ensure that in his coaching career he constantly put himself in challenging situations to make himself work hard to be the best coach he can be.
Regarding the list being youngest he said he told his players to tear up their birth certificates as they were being paid as MEN so they needed to play as MEN
When asked about Gaz, said he was asked a scenario based question in his interview about that and said simply I have heard for 2 years he wanted to go home and simply put that tells me he is not 100% fully invested in the club so he needs to go home to Geelong, always welcome back as a past player but I don't want players who aren't in 100%
I asked him why when he had chances to get other "easier" head coaching roles along his career he kept his powder dry and actively sought the role which would arguably be the toughest assigment in AFL and he said he saw it as a challenge, wanted the challenge and sought out the challenge, said he gets one shot at being a head coach and this is his big shot
Most impressiveley said he saw GCS as a clean slate/ fresh start/ blank canvas as a team and had been watching/ chasing the job since we lost to Lions 1st round last year and then the Bulldogs loss
I have to say I can't imagine a better guy with a better attitude to knuckle down and stay the course because it will be tough and lonely and unpopular but he definitely has the spine for it

Last edited:
Went to a lunch at Burleigh Bombers who had Stewie as their guest speaker today. Barry Round hosted it, was pretty funny stuff. Stewie was very impressive today and waaay more relaxed than his first few media interviews.
Covered off his time as a player but said he got by on talent and was comfortable as a player and wanted to ensure that in his coaching career he constantly put himself in challenging situations to make himself work hard to be the best coach he can be.
Regarding the list being youngest he said he told his players to tear up their birth certificates as they were being paid as MEN so they needed to play as MEN
When asked about Gaz, said he was asked a scenario based question in his interview about that and said simply I have heard for 2 years he wanted to go home and simply put that tells me he is not 100% fully invested in the club so he needs to go home to Geelong, always welcome back as a player but I don't want players who aren't in 100%
I asked him why when he had chances to get other "easier" head coaching roles along his career he kept his powder dry and actively sought the role which would arguably be the toughest assigment in AFL and he said he saw it as a challenge, wanted the challenge and sought out the challenge, said he gets one shot at being a head coach and this is his big shot
Most impressivley said he saw GCS as a clean slate/ fresh start/ blank canvas as a team and had been watching/ chasing the job since we lost to Lions 1st round last year and then the Bulldogs loss
I have to say I can't imagine a better guy with a better attitude to knuckle down and stay the course because it will be tough and lonely and unpopular but he definitely has the spine for it

Good old Rocket loved nothing more than playing the “it’s no excuse but we are a young team” blah blah in his post game interviews.
So glad that imposter is gone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just a heads up for those who live locally I’ve noticed the boys training each Tuesday from 5pm’ish on the training oval next to Metricon. Easy to pull up and have a squiz if your passing by if you need a footy fix.

Just a heads up for those who live locally I’ve noticed the boys training each Tuesday from 5pm’ish on the training oval next to Metricon. Easy to pull up and have a squiz if your passing by if you need a footy fix.
Nah, can watch my own kids drop marks and miss targets ;)

Good old Rocket loved nothing more than playing the “it’s no excuse but we are a young team” blah blah in his post game interviews.

Couldn’t agree more. Rocket came in first blamed the last guy, then injuries, then demographics, then facilities, then travel arrangements, then back to the start. Continually tried to give himself and then by extension the players an out.

I have spoken to a couple of ex-players who said the communication was virtually non-existent.

I’m pleased the cleanout of the footy dept came it certainly needed to

Couldn’t agree more. Rocket came in first blamed the last guy, then injuries, then demographics, then facilities, then travel arrangements, then back to the start. Continually tried to give himself and then by extension the players an out.

I have spoken to a couple of ex-players who said the communication was virtually non-existent.

I’m pleased the cleanout of the footy dept came it certainly needed to

I don't know if you can say it was a total cleanout because there are some high quality assistant coaches who kept their jobs. Sacking Eade was welcome after a season of underachievement, although I do believe he instilled the foundation of discipline and a Suns brand of football. At their best, the team performed so well that you started thinking maybe finals were a possibility, but Eade's coaching failed to inspire and there were some matches where the team just didn't turn up. Solomon, Lovell and Primus deserved another chance and the arrival of coaching mentor, George Stone, will do wonders for Dew and Malceski in implementing some of the measures that have brought success to Sydney and Hawthorn.

In the end, Rocket was a dinosaur in an age of coaches that are markedly different to their predecessors. His record merited his recruitment as coach in the first place, but there's a reason why clubs that got rid of him got a lot better afterwards. Same can be said of Scott Clayton, who built great lists at Brisbane, the Bulldogs and the Suns, but he's yet again not going to be around for the successful years. I felt sorry for him when the Bears and Fitzroy merged because it ruined his recruitment strategies by being forced to take on 8 Lions among whom only Chris Johnson had any success. Clayton recruited well enough at the Bulldogs for them to finish in finals more often than not, yet only a handful remained for the GF and only one, Dale Morris is left.

I'm not surprised that players said Rocket's communication was poor. I actually believe that it was intentional, but that kind of coaching approach is antiquated and proven not to work. He says he didn't know how bad the culture was amongst the playing group and generally slagged off the club the minute he was sacked. The fact that he chose not to address the players speaks volumes for his failed tenure.

Good to see Dewy has already come in and identified what we are sh*t at (everything) and got us working hard on contested stuff and getting the ball back when we lose it. Hopefully the days of us just letting opposition teams score a goal so we can get the ball back are past us.

The music thing is pretty neat as well. Would liven training up a bit as well.

http://www.goldcoastfc.com.au/video/2017-11-30/suns-tv-insight-into-preseason

Looks like his also adding some focus on goal kicking as well, and from the outside looking in its good to see his already putting his own stamp on the team
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-12-08/its-training-men-dj-dew-rockin-the-suns

Last edited:
He says he didn't know how bad the culture was amongst the playing group and generally slagged off the club the minute he was sacked. The fact that he chose not to address the players speaks volumes for his failed tenure.

I think he later said he regretted doing this, but it just showed everyone his true colors what his relationship to the club/players was like if he was so quick to get on the plane and pick up a cashie on the footy show.

Leppa did the same thing... those who lay blame to others don't deserve to be at the club. Everyone at the Suns need to look themselves in the mirror and ask themselves if they really want this. Those who do follow up with can I get the best out of myself. The playing group has to lead this rebuild because at the end of the day the coaches, support staff or supporters are not there when they go home, they aren't there telling you to push through every last rep, to run every single lap as if your life depends on it or to eat the correct foods and drink the required amounts of water for each players personalised diet plan. The Suns have lacked leadership and hopefully Dew can allow the players to take ownership of the club which is something Rocket did not do at all. The Lions were a rabble but getting the right system in place that allows the players to take ownership and drive training standards is far more important than any training facilities or individual playing talent. Things can change very quickly.

Leppa did the same thing... those who lay blame to others don't deserve to be at the club. Everyone at the Suns need to look themselves in the mirror and ask themselves if they really want this. Those who do follow up with can I get the best out of myself. The playing group has to lead this rebuild because at the end of the day the coaches, support staff or supporters are not there when they go home, they aren't there telling you to push through every last rep, to run every single lap as if your life depends on it or to eat the correct foods and drink the required amounts of water for each players personalised diet plan. The Suns have lacked leadership and hopefully Dew can allow the players to take ownership of the club which is something Rocket did not do at all. The Lions were a rabble but getting the right system in place that allows the players to take ownership and drive training standards is far more important than any training facilities or individual playing talent. Things can change very quickly.

Indeed. We all know the players in the past were either young or veterans, but this year there will be a tier of players neither too young nor at the wrong end of their careers so the excuse has worn thin. Eade did have a point when he said he was getting the youth and experience balance right after a win, but he used that as an excuse all too often to explain losses. I mean, it isn't hard is it? We lost because they won the clearances/our backs couldn't contain *insert name*/our midfielders got caught by their opponents on the rebound too often/*insert name* couldn't break his tag etc. When you have a losing coach who gives the media an honest appraisal you can be happy knowing that what you saw and what they are thinking aren't two different games.

Eade could be a downright dick about certain players and you could see they lost confidence because of him. Aaron Hall might be a bit of a coachkiller with his clangers and ballwatching, but he's an accumulator and his disposal under pressure isn't always great. Eade would behave like a petulant child whenever Hall would turn the ball over or make a risky decision, but all he ever did was kill the kid's motivation. I couldn't see any development of the 5 rookies and it seemed like they were all afraid of Eade.

The senior players are going to be the key in the first half of 2018. I don't think the best 22 gets picked every week to travel, I foresee the most experienced players being the first chosen and a handful of second and third year players sent to glean experience from the veterans. Guys like Rosa, Barlow and Rischitelli coming back from injury plus Harbrow and Hanley have played 900+ games between them, been to every stadium and played finals/Intl Rules. The spine of May, Thompson, Swallow, Lynch and Day have 7 years together and over 500 games between them. Witts is ably supported by Hall, Lyons, Miller, Martin, all 50+ gamers, with Kolodjashnij, Lemmens, Sexton, Lonergan and Nicholls also 50+ game vets battling to make the 22. After that there are the guys who came of age this season in Fiorini, Ainsworth, Joyce, Leslie and Wright.

I'd be happy with that 25 to face any team and have a strong chance of winning and I haven't even mentioned 1st Round Draft picks Bowes, Brodie, Scrimshaw, Scheer or Ah Chee, or considered Young, Wigg, Holman or the new rookies. Apologies to Schoenfeld, Willis, Spencer and Macpherson.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back