Training 2018 Pre Season (How many houses will go down?)

Who's your tip to have the most impressive pre season?

• Willy Rioli

Votes: 40 20.5%
  • Daniel Venables

Votes: 59 30.3%
  • New Draftee

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • Luke Shuey

Votes: 7 3.6%
  • Elliot Yeo

Votes: 9 4.6%
  • Scott Lycett

Votes: 8 4.1%
  • Nic Naitanui

Votes: 13 6.7%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 29 14.9%
  • Other

Votes: 19 9.7%

• Total voters

dajesmac

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 9, 2009
Manchester
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Demons, Liverpool
BOND 007 confirmed that they plan to train Allen as a mid shortly after the draft, if I remember correctly.

Did he say that or was it more like "WC see Allen as having midfield potential", which is slightly but definitely different.

That's a genuine question I don't actually recall what was said

CM9000

BigFooty Optimist
Aug 19, 2016
Perth, WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
Did he say that or was it more like "WC see Allen as having midfield potential", which is slightly but definitely different.

That's a genuine question I don't actually recall what was said

These 2 posts:
Ainsworth is a quality ball winner & ball user with some pace. The other 2 you mentioned arent as well rounded.
Yes WC believe Allen will transition into the midfield.
There is no point drafting kids you dont believe will solve your issues.
Ainsworth can win ball inside, as can Brayshaw. Sheed is good inside, Redden will take more responsibility. Duggan will play more of a role there with others like Cole expected to impact.

Winning the footy is one thing actually doing something with it is another.
1) yes
2) flanker with midfield time
3) reads play very well & sees things happening early. Good beneath his knees. Reasonable pace - more inside but able to deliver ball

So yeah you're right, that's pretty much what he said.

Avalor

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
Jakarta
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth, Donnybrook, Chelsea
Spoke to someone who knows allen really well.

- He meassure 192cms at the combine.

- is very capable as a mid.

- complained of shin splints all year and it turned out he played and tested with a fracture in his leg and it was only picked up when he was tested at WC a few weeks ago.
I like the kid's courage. Just get on with it attitude - speaks volumes.

Aug 22, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
I fractured my leg once, minor fracture. I didn't play through it but just thought it was a bruise, tried to play the next week but pulled out in the warmup, missed 6 weeks with it. Only found out about the fracture once fully healed.

Good sign that he can play through pain, and that he delivered when he had a fractured leg.

kerr87

Cancelled
Sep 22, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
I fractured my leg once, minor fracture. I didn't play through it but just thought it was a bruise, tried to play the next week but pulled out in the warmup, missed 6 weeks with it. Only found out about the fracture once fully healed.

Good sign that he can play through pain, and that he delivered when he had a fractured leg.

Could have snared a bargain - he would have played and tested better without injury!

Aug 22, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Could have snared a bargain - he would have played and tested better without injury!

Hopefully!

I think he will be a good player. I'm not sure on being a mid though, the jack Gunston comparison is an obvious one but I think it looks (based on his highlights vids) to be the most likely.

WCE_phil

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 14, 2009
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Spoke to someone who knows allen really well.

- He meassure 192cms at the combine.

- is very capable as a mid.

- complained of shin splints all year and it turned out he played and tested with a fracture in his leg and it was only picked up when he was tested at WC a few weeks ago.

I got really bad shin splints in the navy and 15 years later haven't been able to get rid of them.

Mind you I was told by the physio they were the worst he'd ever seen at the time.

Nov 10, 2008
Bunbury
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Tottenham
I'm not sure if lying is the right word because WC have made no indication at all where they intend to play any of the draftees. It's all been fan speculation. I think Allen is a key forward who can offer a midfield rotation, and we'll see where he goes from there.

Yeah I was referring more to one of the preseason reports mentioning he was training with the KPFs and then people had a bit of a tanty about it, how the club obviously don't actually think he will play midfield and are just paying us lip service..

From those posts by BOND it does seem there is some indication they want him to play midfield but you're right.

dajesmac

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 9, 2009
Manchester
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Demons, Liverpool
Yeah I was referring more to one of the preseason reports mentioning he was training with the KPFs and then people had a bit of a tanty about it, how the club obviously don't actually think he will play midfield and are just paying us lip service..

From those posts by BOND it does seem there is some indication they want him to play midfield but you're right.

Yeah I get ya. WC have only said he's a talented forward who can play some midfield. I expect him to at least start up forward for EP with stints in the midfield. I think it would take years for him to develop into a full time mid.

Sep 10, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Yeah I get ya. WC have only said he's a talented forward who can play some midfield. I expect him to at least start up forward for EP with stints in the midfield. I think it would take years for him to develop into a full time mid.

supposedly most of his junior career was played as a mid, and it was only his recent growth spurt that had him playing KPF. Should be easier getting him back into playing as a mid, than continuing as a KPF.

dajesmac

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 9, 2009
Manchester
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Demons, Liverpool
supposedly most of his junior career was played as a mid, and it was only his recent growth spurt that had him playing KPF. Should be easier getting him back into playing as a mid, than continuing as a KPF.

Well given that he just won the Larke medal as a key forward I'm not sure if that's true. That being said, the more midfield potential the better. A KPF/Mid that is equally competent in either position would be a real asset.

avishka5

150 game legend.
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Zombie Lover
Sep 1, 2014
Perth SOR
AFL Club
West Coast
Well given that he just won the Larke medal as a key forward I'm not sure if that's true. That being said, the more midfield potential the better. A KPF/Mid that is equally competent in either position would be a real asset.
its been reported numerous times that he was a mid before a 20cm growth spurt. In fact he said it him self in an interview i think.

dajesmac

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 9, 2009
Manchester
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Demons, Liverpool
its been reported numerous times that he was a mid before a 20cm growth spurt. In fact he said it him self in an interview i think.

I know. But that doesn't necessarily mean it will be easier to develop him as a mid than a forward at AFL level, which was the suggestion I responded to.

May 2, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle

wow I did exactly the same thing except I pulled out mid game.

mick06

Premiership Player
Aug 21, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Leeds United; San D uh LA Chargers
I got really bad shin splints in the navy and 15 years later haven't been able to get rid of them.

Mind you I was told by the physio they were the worst he'd ever seen at the time.
But could you both run through the middle?

Back