News 2018 Pre-season, huff, puff, houses-trained-down and NEWS

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree, but as this stuff is mostly theoretical to us mere plebs we do tend to hold these guys to unrealistically high standards. Ever been disillusioned at work? It happens, especially as you get a bit older and when you have other (more important) stuff on your mind (like illnesses in the family etc) - they are just people like the rest of us, flawed and imperfect.

He is good at footy though, so let’s judge him on how he does that for us over the next couple of years.
Yeah I have been, but saving himself for 2 years was the comment, and I am not disputing it is what Nakia was told... and 2 years ago he had recently signed a brand new large deal... so I don't feel sorry for him there.

This season just gone I could understand as he had expressed a desire to return home and was denied it

Last year was off the reservation clearly for him. The year before.. we are all guessing but i have a feeling the rot had set in earlier and it’s not like his family issues just started 12 months ago.
Now - if so- he. Don’t take the new 3 year deal- fair points to that arguement- but maybe after going flat out in the first 5 years up there for bupkis in terms of team results he figured if they are gonna pay it I’ll take it and we’ll see what happens.. and fair to say while his time out of the game in those 2 years was not great, he still reduced for the majority of the ones when he was out there.

Ultimately, he’s in the hoops now and his legacy over the next two years is really his to write. He can shape that narrative any way he wants - and with his head and heart in the right place.. I️ reckon randy marsh could be in for a solid smashing

Go Catters

Depends. Ever been paid a million bucks a year?

I honestly don’t think that makes any difference. It’s human nature, and a million $ a year is his normal in any case.

Depression, disappointment, disillusionment, these are all part of the human condition. I guess that’s why they say money can’t buy you happiness.

(...I’ll concede that I might be a bit happier and more motivated on that sort of coin, though)!

Last edited:
Yeah I have been, but saving himself for 2 years was the comment, and I am not disputing it is what Nakia was told... and 2 years ago he had recently signed a brand new large deal... so I don't feel sorry for him there.

This season just gone I could understand as he had expressed a desire to return home and was denied it

Yeah he obviously wasn’t saving himself for us when he was signing on again up there, must have been after that I guess.

I do know he's wanted to come home for a lot longer which is why I was so surprised he signed his last contract.

Remember when the media questioned his effort and intent at times last year?

I do know he's wanted to come home for a lot longer which is why I was so surprised he signed his last contract.

Remember when the media questioned his effort and intent at times last year?
I have zero doubt in my mind he signed his last contract as he panicked when his shoulder wasn't right and didn't want the offer to get reduced.
Gold Coast put a deal in front of him, he didn't take it for ages... played rd 1 against the dees back from a long lay off, Jack Viney bashed him up all day.. Gaz signed instantly and then was out for weeks hurt.

Yeah I tend to agree, while it should work for us if true..
It's a pretty average attitude, maybe this year I can somewhat understand as they knocked back his trade request.. but 2 years doesn't sound right or good

Yep it’s not like if he’s dominating for us next year I’ll be shaking my head because he didn’t try his last two years at the GSC. I just hope it’s not true.

I think the younger ones need to bulk up (within reason ) to survive the duration of the season and the wear and tear...

The older ones having gotten the bulk not so much.

But as always, a little of A and B... its not one or the other IMO.

GO Catters

Yep, when Scott took over the Cats in 2011, Cam Ling lost weight. It did not do an aging player any harm.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am surprised that no one has mentioned the puff piece on Cocky in todays' Geelong Ablettiser.
I'm surprised I haven't seen it.

I'm surprised I haven't seen it.

I am not surprised. As usual the Addy has hidden the image of Cocky on the front page with the head line "THE INCREDIBLE HULK".
"Nakia Cockatoo flexes his muscles as the Cats heat up the training track".

But when you get to the sport section there is not a word about Cocky.
Now I have only had one pint, but I cannot see anything on Cocky in the sport section.
But I am getting a bit senile in my old age and I am open to correction here.
The article only mentions Buzza, McCarthy and Gregson that I can see..

Last edited:
Last year was off the reservation clearly for him. The year before.. we are all guessing but i have a feeling the rot had set in earlier and it’s not like his family issues just started 12 months ago.
Now - if so- he. Don’t take the new 3 year deal- fair points to that arguement- but maybe after going flat out in the first 5 years up there for bupkis in terms of team results he figured if they are gonna pay it I’ll take it and we’ll see what happens.. and fair to say while his time out of the game in those 2 years was not great, he still reduced for the majority of the ones when he was out there.

Ultimately, he’s in the hoops now and his legacy over the next two years is really his to write. He can shape that narrative any way he wants - and with his head and heart in the right place.. I️ reckon randy marsh could be in for a solid smashing

Go Catters
It was reported on SEN that Gazza refused to play several games at the Suns in 2017 to save himself for coming home to Geelong (claiming it was injury/soreness when it wasn't) It was also reported that the Christian group he led versus the rest caused a bit of disharmony in the team. I hope we don't see that at Geelong. I'm fascinated to see if he can be the cream we need to get us into the GF, and to see if the leadership group is strong enough to keep him focused on the team ethic, not the Gazza show.

It was reported on SEN that Gazza refused to play several games at the Suns in 2017 to save himself for coming home to Geelong (claiming it was injury/soreness when it wasn't) .

BlakeyNoFlakey - can advise that we got similar feedback from a GC player a few weeks ago - he was talking to GC physios about Abletts hammies and they more or less rolled their eyes as if to say Gaz was reacting to "soreness" that would not normally keep you from playing. The player also felt he had started to tune out towards the end of the season.
Not sure if saving himself for the Cats was his motivation

Remove this Banner Ad

Back