News 2018 Pre-season, huff, puff, houses-trained-down and NEWS

Remove this Banner Ad

But he has never been given consistent games yet when he gets the odd one shows good skills and judgement and can kick goals aka game against Carlton in 2015 0r 16.

His way way too slow, he applies no defensive pressure whatsoever. His disposal skills and contested work are just decent. It doesn’t put him ahead of others

Just start drinking now. It’ll ease the pain of reading an article about Murdoch’s best preseason leading to a case for a R1 game. :$

For those that need a positive out of this, in Rd 1 2007 we took both Charlie Gardiner and Kane Tenace into the match.

Sure, we lost, but we learnt a lesson and dropped them later.

Murdoch at his best is in our best 22 - problem is that he doesn't bring his best on a consistent enough basis and goes missing.

We need to play him on the wing and tell him to hunt the opposition - he laid some massive tackles last year and when he started doing that you could see his confidence go up and his performance improve.

The question is can he do that consistently

The available evidence would suggest he can’t

Has Murdoch ever had a good game? I know he has had good MOMENTS but I can't recall a full match.

Had 26 disposals and kicked 4.1 against Carlton in round 8, 2015.

He also had a patch from round 14-19 last year where he was good. Played a high HFF role and ran hard both ways. He averaged 18 disposals, 4 marks, 5 tackles, and a goal per game in that patch before losing his way in consecutive games against premiership contenders (Sydney then Richmond).

He also had a patch from round 14-19 last year where he was good. Played a high HFF role and ran hard both ways. He averaged 18 disposals, 4 marks, 5 tackles, and a goal per game in that patch before losing his way in consecutive games against premiership contenders (Sydney then Richmond).
That was a good patch. Really put his hand up as a physical player during this period too. His decision making will always be lacking though.

I agree that he was a good player in that stretch, it was a pretty great time.

But its actually ridiculous that he's on the verge of playing 100 games and those 5 weeks are nearly the sole highlight.

I agree that he was a good player in that stretch, it was a pretty great time.

But its actually ridiculous that he's on the verge of playing 100 games and those 5 weeks are nearly the sole highlight.

Agree. But I’d still have him in my round one team.

And think that if we are going to play him then HFF role is where he plays best. He is a good mark and good kick at goal. Put him there and he doesn't have to think about what he is going to do with the ball and the next kick- the answer is right in front of him

Has Murdoch ever had a good game? I know he has had good MOMENTS but I can't recall a full match.
Yeah against Carlton in 2015 IIRC. Was close to BOG.
Has kicked a few important goals in some close Hawks games.
Had some good tackling performances in around 6 or 7 games last year.
The rest has been Classic Murdoch.

Murdoch added a hardness to his game last year. Bumping and tackling often and with strength. He certainly has his limitations but as long as he brings the harder edge to his game happy for his to play a role.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Murdoch added a hardness to his game last year. Bumping and tackling often and with strength. He certainly has his limitations but as long as he brings the harder edge to his game happy for his to play a role.
Then let's recruit Mike Tyson.

I just remember Scott Selwood nearly doubling our tackle count by himself when he came in. Now that's tough!

Best tackler in the game, quality leader, very good all-round defensive game and still people question whether he's in our best 22.
How does one define a quality leader?

He defines it by tackling....a shitload! surely a young lad walks twice as tall lining up next to a Selwood. They're ferocious and therefore lead by example. My two bobs worth.

It's a good question, I personally thought you could tell he was a leader from the first time I heard him interviewed as a Cat (was on trade radio the day it became official)
Just the way he spoke and answered the questions it was obvious to me, then you see him in the field and his intensity and attitude .. We don't see behind closed doors but what we do see screams leader.. The "quality" part is an assumption or gut feel

We can't. We have absolutely no idea. None of us predicted Tom Harley to be captain, and he's the best leader I've ever seen at Geelong.
I separate my Captain and leader,I have Harley the best captain he brought discipline and focus to the side, and I have Joel as the best leader he shows the way and sets the example.

His way way too slow, he applies no defensive pressure whatsoever. His disposal skills and contested work are just decent. It doesn’t put him ahead of others
Cameron Ling wasn't necessarily the fastest player of his time but as a tagger he did extremely well. Being slow is not the reason he doesn't get a game or should not be

Remove this Banner Ad

Back