News 2018 Pre-season, huff, puff, houses-trained-down and NEWS

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm more than happy to play him in preseason and to build him up.
I'm not thrilled if he plays a game that is experimental, and will not resemble what we are actually training and building him up for.

He probably is the perfect prototype for the game, but his history suggests they would be better not playing him in 20 min stop start max speed sprint game
I'm in your corner on this one, AFLX from what I read could have been designed to test out hamstrings and leg injuries.

He could easily ping a hammy in the first JLT or Round 1 or even training.
Reportedly on a different program now so we shouldn't imo be too cautious with testing him out, we nee to find out if this modified program is working or not.
It's about mitigating the risk. Playing him in this stupid competition would be beyond stupid.

Has anyone heard that Dangerfield has a f**ked back and Joel Selwood Ankle ain't great either??
You might be thinking of Scott who I think is having 8 weeks off cause of he's ankle. But that's just the way it's always going to be with him.
I think Joel's is preety good now but I might be wrong.
I've heard Danger had a really bad back for nearly all last year but just gets up and plays through it. He'll be sweet.

Last edited:
He did it in international rules yes?
Joel went off with a card, not with an ankle injury. He still looked a bit proppy - presumably carrying a bit of the injury from earlier in 17 but wouldn't be in full training now if he wasn't 100%.

You're probably getting your Selwoods mixed up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"Gaz dominant as Cats ramp things up
THOSE who thought Gary Ablett would not be the same player in his second stint at Geelong might be mistaken.
Ablett was at his sensational best during a lengthy three-and-a-half-hour training session at Deakin University - with a major focus on match simulation – on Thursday.
Wearing a white cap, and sporting his familiar hunched-over pose, Ablett, 33 found the ball with ease in the midfield and showed zero signs of the shoulder injury or the soft tissue injuries that plagued his last four seasons at Gold Coast."
564012-tlsnewsportrait.jpg

http://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/2018-02-08/gaz-dominant-as-cats-ramp-things-up

Has anyone heard that Dangerfield has a f**ked back and Joel Selwood Ankle ain't great either??
Joel is in full training and his ankle is fine.

Danger has had a sore back... not nearly as bad as you've suggested.
You might be thinking of Scott who I think is having 8 weeks off cause of he's ankle. But that's just the way it's always going to be with him.
I think Joel's is preety good now but I might be wrong.
I've heard Danger had a really bad back for nearly all last year but just gets up and plays through it. He'll be sweet.

"Gaz dominant as Cats ramp things up
With superstar Cat Patrick Dangerfield not participating in the full-ground match simulation, having nursed a sore back in recent weeks, Ablett’s delivery to his teammates - particularly going inside forward 50 - was first class.
Dangerfield was limited to work with the rehab group initially, which included change of direction and speed-based training, before joining in some contact work when the Cats worked on their defensive structures towards the end of training.
It is understood the Brownlow medallist is nearing a return to full training, with the Cats' medical staff being cautious with his body at this time of year."
http://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/2018-02-08/gaz-dominant-as-cats-ramp-things-up

Thank you posting this video Boxhead, really enjoyed Crameri's interview. His enthusiasm is inspiring + his comments on Gaz were terrific. Seems everyone loves Gaz!

As CHF and Hawk as FF or vice versa?
In the video, Crameri is ear marked as high half forward 'the Jack' (Jack of All Trades), with his endurance, power running, resounding left foot, huge kick + strong hands, it sounds very exciting.

In 2015 (yeah, a long time ago) Crameri said: "I enjoyed playing up on the ball and up higher on the wing. . ."

Giansiracusa praised Crameri:
"He’s a really hard match up for the opposition"
"He really put defences on edge" with his pace + strength.
". . .he was really prominent for us, on the scoreboard but getting up on wings as well"

Crameri started at Essendon as a midfielder, then Hird pushed him into their forward line.

After two years away from footy, due to the Essendon saga + hip injury, let's hope he can return to his blistering form.

Going to be an interesting season.

"ABLETT HAS LOOKED “TWO CLASSES ABOVE” AT CATS
Former Essendon captain Tim Watson has sent the league an ominous warning about Gary Ablett’s progression with Geelong, saying he is blitzing the training track.
Ablett has made a fairytale return to the Cats, but doubts have risen about his effectiveness at the age of 33.
According to people close to the club, though, there is nothing to worry about. In fact, the dual Brownlow Medallist is reportedly looking sensational.
“My very good spy down Geelong way has told me that Gary Ablett has not only not lost anything, but he may be coming back to Geelong better than he has ever been before,” Watson told SEN Breakfast.
“He said he looked not just one class above everybody else on the field, but two classes above everybody else on the field, and some very good players were playing down there yesterday.”
Geelong superstar Patrick Dangerfield echoed those thoughts about Ablett earlier this week, while speaking to Fox Sports.
“I think Gary’s footy will do the talking,” he said."
https://www.sen.com.au/news/2018/02/08/ablett-has-looked-two-classes-above-at-cats/

DE for inside mids is usually low....in particular for players with less than 40 games experience at AFL level.

Some posters are very harsh on Menegola...
Totally agree - Menegola's first Finals series?

Hell, some of our veterans were atrocious in Finals!
Wouldn't mind seeing the Crameri deep Hawkins high set up myself.

Makes it harder for Hawkins to be double teamed while also taking away the tendency to "Bomb it long to Tom" that we sometimes fall into with our forward entries, having Stewart and Menzel working as deep options out of the square would make us a lot more unpredictable for teams to match up on with the bonus of both of them being good finishers.

My ideal forward line would be something like this:

HF: Menegola, Hawkins, McCarthy
FF: Menzel, Crameri, Gregson

Dangerfield/Ablett can swap with Menegola and when they do Gregson or Menzel to push up to HF

Much prefer Tomahawk running on the lead to mark + love him playing up the ground.

Very pleased to have a left foot in our forward line - Crameri.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back