News 2018 Pre-season, huff, puff, houses-trained-down and NEWS

Sorry, do you mean last year’s finals?

He was good in one final, against Sydney. Against Richmond and Adelaide he was horrible.

Geelong: Duncan, J. Selwood, Tuohy, Menegola, Dangerfield, Mackie.

BORIS332

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 22, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Excuses for what, for being outstanding?

Even your finals criticism is flawed, in 3 games he collected 64 possessions and 2 of them was among our best.
The WAFL system is not AFL.

Lol, my "finals criticism is flawed," maybe that's because I haven't criticised him on his finals form? My issue with him is that he's a front-runner, he goes missing when we need him. Here are the difference in his stats between wins and losses:

upload_2018-2-10_10-7-18.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-2-10_10-7-4.png
    upload_2018-2-10_10-7-4.png
    14.1 KB · Views: 4
Lol, my "finals criticism is flawed," maybe that's because I haven't criticised him on his finals form? My issue with him is that he's a front-runner, he goes missing when we need him. Here are the difference in his stats between wins and losses:

View attachment 458349
You’ll find a lot of players across the competition have this same phenomena. It’s not really to be unexpected. When teams beat you they do so by stopping you from playing at your best.

Ratcat

Premiership Player
Aug 28, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Sorry, do you mean last year’s finals?

He was good in one final, against Sydney. Against Richmond and Adelaide he was horrible.

Selwood played a great game, Menegola was best of the rest along with Dangerfield.
23 and 24 possessions respectively.
Hardly flopped like most did that day.
Even with his bad game averaged 21.5 disposals off HF for the series.
For a selection 66 ...done more in 2017 than most manage throughout a career.

Ratcat

Premiership Player
Aug 28, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong

View attachment 458349

Proves to me he doesn't drop off by that much.(consistent)
I also heard he's burning in the recent game simulation along with Ablett.
Big year ahead for him imo.

Last edited:
I don’t buy the “first year of AFL” excuse. He’s been in the system for almost a decade.
Sure - but how many games has he actually played.

Menzel was in the system for 4 years and did SFA - but he was hurt.
Menegola had time at Freo and Hawks - hurt and on the bubble - and probably not dedicated enough to the game. But at the elite level of the game it takes time to get used to it. If it was easy anyone would do it right and they'd all be champions.

All im saying is Im happy to give him some more time to get it right and be more consistent - not heaps but another year or so to continually improve.

GO Catters

betchsta

Club Legend
May 1, 2007
AFL Club
Geelong
Talk about "cream"....the three present day champs, and Wade and Smith behind them....apparently Bernie Smith was something special.

Indeed.

A lot of joke's going around on social media with the photo saying it's the team photo,Mainly Tigers & Crow's supporters from what I noticed,I was happy when Richmond won the flag last year, Now it's becoming unbearable & they're acting like they're coming off an golden era.

My opinion watching the games (live for Richmond, television for Adelaide): Menegola was awful in both. With plenty of company.

Possession totals don’t have quite the impact when they’re panicked and rushed.
Do not agree with the latter. More than serviceable.

Even if he does play better in the 2018 H&A season, given his Finals record, he'll need to show those improvements mean he can compete in the highest pressure games.
I’ll put weight on his finals record when it stops moving in a parallel line with the team’s.

View attachment 458349
But that doesn't show that he goes missing when we need him, it shows he plays worse in losses. That's not the same thing as what you're saying because it automatically excludes the possibility he has stepped up and we've won.

View attachment 458349
Do the same for most players and it looks identical.

Ratcat

Premiership Player
Aug 28, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
My opinion watching the games (live for Richmond, television for Adelaide): Menegola was awful in both. With plenty of company.

Everyone was under the pump that day with Richmond applying manic pressure.
I'm sure they had also planned for Danger and Sam considering their dominant roles the week before against the Swans.
His numbers on the day were a tribute to his determined effort against the odds.

Spazz Cat

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong

I agree just from the comfort of my living room I thought he was awful in the Richmond game, yeah you could say Danger & Duncan were poor but at rare times did a couple of positive things.
Adelaide game he summed up the team. Tried hard, didn't do a lot wrong but just let down by shocking disposal.

Ratcat

Premiership Player
Aug 28, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
We are doing well when we are worried about a third year player who finished 6th in the B&F. Must be flyyyyyying. :rolleyes:

Just checked the Carji, Menners 6th 194/ Tom Stewart 5th 195,
Stewart had a positive year but not to that extent, reckon positions should be reverse.
Very stiff not to rank 5th imo with his consistent numbers that is.

The fog needs a hair stylist, looks like Carol from the Brady bunch
View attachment 458200

Fog? From the Carol Brady lol are you meaning Blitz?

There were some real 'Hair Don'ts' weren't there?

Harry Taylor's Marine, short back + sides is hideous!

Some screen shots from the video:
Screen Shot 2018-02-10 at 12.24.01.png
Screen Shot 2018-02-10 at 12.24.45.png

Who's the guy on Scotty's left?

Screen Shot 2018-02-10 at 12.25.50.png

Screen Shot 2018-02-10 at 12.26.10.png

Awwwww, Zuthrie is such a poppet

Screen Shot 2018-02-10 at 12.26.36.png

Screen Shot 2018-02-10 at 12.27.08.png

The specific criticism of Menegola going missing in Finals is relevant - but to be in his first full season of AFL he's been pretty bloody good.

What he needs to work on is the same thing that Duncan took the last 3 seasons to get right was consistency.
I reckon its a bit harsh to flog him on not having it in his first year or purely because he's 26 - but he also needs to find it faster than Mitch did.

Its gonna take time for sure but he needs to take steps this year with it.

Go Catters

^^^ THIS!!!

Back