Teams 2018 Fantasy - Rate My Pre-Season Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes I agree, that’s the beauty of Merrett. He seems like he can be easily tagged (like Gaff) but he just finds a way. Thanks for those stats, I need to remember them the next time I have any doubts.

Merrett is the king of struggling to 35 half way through the third quarter, then scoring 60 more to the end of the game to eek out a respectable score.

Looking good mate, Adam's is a nice POD but without a doubt a worthy selection. You'll want to keep a really close eye on those mid pricers in Hanley and Ah Chee, risks involved in both but at their prices and with their scoring abilities there's a reason so many sides are interested in them. Weigh up how they go because they're just at such awkward prices, sometimes you need to question if it's better going with a rookie and a gun instead of two mid pricers.

Cheers, yeah I like Adams for that reason, something about him does scare me but gotta love a premo POD.
Yeah it's a tricky one. I feel as though Hanley will be in less sides than Ah Chee so want him as a POD, of course come round one after JLT I'll have different rookies on the radar and if it does come to it and there are enough good rookies available up forward I'll probably slide Ah Chee out and bump Hanley or Brayshaw up.

Last edited:
Cheers, yeah I like Adams for that reason, something about him dose scare me but gotta love a premo POD.
Yeah it's a tricky one. I feel as though Hanley will be in less sides than Ah Chee so want him as a POD, of course come round one after JLT I'll have different rookies on the radar and if it does come to it and there are enough good rookies available up forward I'll probably slide Ah Chee out and bump Hanley or Brayshaw up.
You're all over it mate, good stuff! :thumbsu:

There's still so much to think about. I'm sure there'll be a popular pick or two to end up getting injured and missing the start of the season, there'll be rookies we thought were set for Round 1 to not be named whilst I'm sure there be a rookie or two none of us have mentioned to come from no where or a midpricers to carve it up in the JLT series.

To me my current team is somewhat of a watch list, a couple of guns who are set, a few premos who I feel are slightly under priced but will end up being in the top ten players of their position, a handful of midpricers I'm interested in and rookies who I think are most likely to be playing Round 1. There's still so much to digest but it's probably my favourite part of the year as a fantasy coach, working out the best players and structures to start with!

You're all over it mate, good stuff! :thumbsu:

There's still so much to think about. I'm sure there'll be a popular pick or two to end up getting injured and missing the start of the season, there'll be rookies we thought were set for Round 1 to not be named whilst I'm sure there be a rookie or two none of us have mentioned to come from no where or a midpricers to carve it up in the JLT series.

To me my current team is somewhat of a watch list, a couple of guns who are set, a few premos who I feel are slightly under priced but will end up being in the top ten players of their position, a handful of midpricers I'm interested in and rookies who I think are most likely to be playing Round 1. There's still so much to digest but it's probably my favourite part of the year as a fantasy coach, working out the best players and structures to start with!

Spot on, it's good fun but also can do your head in ay. So many names have flowed through my side already it's not funny. Trying to figure my backup plan for a Naitanui implosion is causing me some headaches but like you say, a lot of time and a lot to digest.
You can nearly make a case for any player if you dig deep enough haha, she's a head scratcher. Good luck to you though utensil.

Spot on, it's good fun but also can do your head in ay. So many names have flowed through my side already it's not funny. Trying to figure my backup plan for a Naitanui implosion is causing me some headaches but like you say, a lot of time and a lot to digest.
You can nearly make a case for any player if you dig deep enough haha, she's a head scratcher. Good luck to you though utensil.
The NicNat one is interesting, he should get up for a JLT game, and if so should get named, but could be a late out? To go up to a premo ruck is alot of $$$, and that will really screw with structures. I assume you have played around with your team and taken a screen shot of how the team would look with a premo ruck? if not, give it a go, it was a worry for me how much my team changed to come up with 300K+

The NicNat one is interesting, he should get up for a JLT game, and if so should get named, but could be a late out? To go up to a premo ruck is alot of $$$, and that will really screw with structures. I assume you have played around with your team and taken a screen shot of how the team would look with a premo ruck? if not, give it a go, it was a worry for me how much my team changed to come up with 300K+

Yeah I gave it a little fiddle but didn't really like what I saw, I'll have to get stuck into now, well worth having a back up plan. Although I'm sure if he wasn't named there would be a lot of blokes on here sharing theories. I'll go have a fiddle now though. Like you say it's a a lot of cash to find. :thumbsu:

EDIT: Post fiddle. Went Billings down to Mitch Robinson and Zerrett down to Steven..which I no likey, let's just prey NicNat is fit! :eek:

Last edited:
I just did some quick research. McVeigh came in round 15 and Llyod didn’t ton up once until the finals! He averaged like 84. Before round 15, he was averaging around 98 excluding his injury affected 2, and he was tonning up quite often. No tons after McVeigh came in shocked me, didn’t know it was that bad. I remember McVeigh playing forward as well so not sure how Llyod’s scoring went down.
Thanks for the info mate, didn't feel like he finished the season that poorly but memory is shithouse at the best of times so this potentially puts a spanner in the works

I'm going with 102-105, which sees him raising his average by 4-7 points.

Cripps, Fyfe, Coniglio and O'Meara I believe are all underpriced, and should rise.

As for Curnow - I have a sneaking suspicion about him. Have both him and Petracca in my RDT team, and Billings may become Petracca (leaving money to spend elsewhere, likely upgrading NicNat)

Think youd want 105+ for it to be considered a really good pick.

From memory he avg 107 from his last 10 games last year excluding injury. This was from having a limited preseason. Hes now apparently got a full PS in him.

So whats changed. Loss of Gibbs does this mean more attention and more tags? Maybe, maybe not. I say this because Gibbs was barely tagged last year as it was. Clubs seem to love tagging Murphy aswell hes a little more outside and a little more damaging.

With that do sides need to tag carlton players? Docherty, Murphy, Gibbs and Cripps were pretty much left unattended last year and with the loss of Doch and Gibbs i dont see them improving rapidly. Clubs may not feel the need to tag.

Im almost talking myself into Cripps. Hea the next premo mid in for me at this stage and is rivalling Rocky due to having the round 10 bye

Last edited:

From memory he avg 107 from his last 10 games last year excluding injury. This was from having a limited preseason. Hes now apparently got a full PS in him.

So whats changed. Loss of Gibbs does this mean more attention and more tags? Maybe, maybe not. I say this because Gibbs was barely tagged last year as it was. Clubs seem to love tagging Murphy aswell hes a little more outside and a little more damaging.

With that do sides need to tag carlton players? Docherty, Murphy, Gibbs and Cripps were pretty much left unattended last year and with the loss of Doch and Gibbs i dont see them improving rapidly. Clubs may not feel the need to tag.

Im almost talking myself into Cripps. Hea the next premo mid in for me at this stage and is rivalling Rocky due to having the round 10 bye
The kid is a gun, just not so sure hes a fantasy gun, but should kick some snags and have 27 or so touches a game. Is 105 a top 8 mid? Dont think so. Though he will be serviceable as buggery.
Ill tell you who gets no love but deserves it, Luke Shuey.

Thanks for the info mate, didn't feel like he finished the season that poorly but memory is shithouse at the best of times so this potentially puts a spanner in the works
I must have miscalculated some averages, in the latest Traders podcast they said that McVeigh actually had a bigger effect on Lloyd’s scoring. They also said that they got word from somewhere that Lloyd would be back to his high scoring role. Not sure where they got that info but Lloyd is back on my radar for now.

Rivalling rocky?! Surely not. Rocky will be back to his pigish ways again.

I think it was more of a compliment to Cripps rather than bringing down Rocky.

Cripps started last year really poorly, if you take away his first month (without counting the game he got injured in) Cripps averaged 108, considering he's priced at an 98 average and is looking primed for a breakout season he's going to rightfully be a popular pick. Going to be interesting to see if he can match it with the uber premiums, I'm backing him in to and he's just about a lock for me.

I think it was more of a compliment to Cripps rather than bringing down Rocky.

Cripps started last year really poorly, if you take away his first month (without counting the game he got injured in) Cripps averaged 108, considering he's priced at an 98 average and is looking primed for a breakout season he's going to rightfully be a popular pick. Going to be interesting to see if he can match it with the uber premiums, I'm backing him in to and he's just about a lock for me.

The issue I have with Cripps is that he is just a really good inside bull like JPK. He scores well by dominating inside and not by getting cheap touches. In games where he gets a bit of attention, I don’t think he can save his score as much. Mind you, he will be hard to shut down completely. He will score well in those close games where it is just highly contested footy. I’m worried about the games where he isn’t required to go full beastmode. He’s not the type to run into space for a cheap touch when the game is dead. I could be wrong though, he could just elevate himself and go on a run like JPK does in the back half of a season. In that case, he would be a good POD.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The kid is a gun, just not so sure hes a fantasy gun, but should kick some snags and have 27 or so touches a game. Is 105 a top 8 mid? Dont think so. Though he will be serviceable as buggery.

I think he potentially can do what he did in his last 10 rounds ie 107-108 avg

Needing that to be top 8 or not doesnt matter. Needing the too 22 players come the final round is the biggest fallacy, false hope people have. The guy who won it had Beams, Treloar and M.Murphy in his final side. None were 'Top 8 mids'

Not overly keen on Shuey

Shuey has been way to inconsistent in the past but that may change this year. No Mitchell and Priddis could be good for his scoring. But then he could be tagged more often. Will be an amazing POD if it works but way too risky I think.

If i was to write down a predictes avg for Rocky it is 110.

However ive taken into account his Bye of round 10 when comparing as i believe you have to.

You either hold Rocky through his round 10 bye and take a 55 score from a playing rookie or sideways trade which coukd happen due to no playing cover.

Rocky 110 x 9 (first 9 rounds) + 55 (Rookie cover) + 110 x 2 (Rounds 11 and 12) = 1265 points (No trades used)

vs Cripps (Im assuming he rivals Rocky on a basis of a potential 107 avg). 107 x 11. Trade to Rocky for round 12. Score of 110 as assumed above. = 1287 Points (1 Trade)

Obviousily everyone has a different predicted avg and that scale slides for all. Injuries and likelihood of missing games also needs to be taken into account.

Im still determining the exact avgs i see these guys getting. I like both. But if im only allowed one im still deciding.

I think he potentially can do what he did in his last 10 rounds ie 107-108 avg

Needing that to be top 8 or not doesnt matter. Needing the too 22 players come the final round is the biggest fallacy, false hope people have. The guy who won it had Beams, Treloar and M.Murphy in his final side. None were 'Top 8 mids'

Not overly keen on Shuey

Lets hope so, and then he requests a trade back to WA!
I like the fact people are big on him, some different teams is what we need!

I think most of us had those 3 players in the team.

Shuey has been way to inconsistent in the past but that may change this year. No Mitchell and Priddis could be good for his scoring. But then he could be tagged more often. Will be an amazing POD if it works but way too risky I think.
Way too risky! I just wanted to throw him out there. I dont think he will be given space at all, and will probably cop a tag if they bother to tag anyone. The guy has all the attributes for a fantasy friendly game.

If i was to write down a predictes avg for Rocky it is 110.

However ive taken into account his Bye of round 10 when comparing as i believe you have to.

You either hold Rocky through his round 10 bye and take a 55 score from a playing rookie or sideways trade which coukd happen due to no playing cover.

Rocky 110 x 9 (first 9 rounds) + 55 (Rookie cover) + 110 x 2 (Rounds 11 and 12) = 1265 points (No trades used)

vs Cripps (Im assuming he rivals Rocky on a basis of a potential 107 avg). 107 x 11. Trade to Rocky for round 12. Score of 110 as assumed above. = 1287 Points (1 Trade)

Obviousily everyone has a different predicted avg and that scale slides for all. Injuries and likelihood of missing games also needs to be taken into account.

Im still determining the exact avgs i see these guys getting. I like both. But if im only allowed one im still deciding.

Yeah it all depends on whether you think Rocky will be able to get back to being the Rocky of old. If you think he only averages 110 then the round 10 bye might make you consider someone else. I am hopeful he can get closer to 120 and be a top 5 mid. His ceiling can’t be ignored. Last year I picked him up after his injury out of fear of not having him and that backfired. Despite that, I still fear not starting him this year.

Yeah it all depends on whether you think Rocky will be able to get back to being the Rocky of old. If you think he only averages 110 then the round 10 bye might make you consider someone else. I am hopeful he can get closer to 120 and be a top 5 mid. His ceiling can’t be ignored. Last year I picked him up after his injury out of fear of not having him and that backfired. Despite that, I still fear not starting him this year.
Picked him up then as well, damn i wonder how good my rank would have been if i chose anyone else!

The issue I have with Cripps is that he is just a really good inside bull like JPK. He scores well by dominating inside and not by getting cheap touches. In games where he gets a bit of attention, I don’t think he can save his score as much. Mind you, he will be hard to shut down completely. He will score well in those close games where it is just highly contested footy. I’m worried about the games where he isn’t required to go full beastmode. He’s not the type to run into space for a cheap touch when the game is dead. I could be wrong though, he could just elevate himself and go on a run like JPK does in the back half of a season. In that case, he would be a good POD.
All reasonable concerns mate, many of those reasons on the contested ball is why we've seen him traditionally be a better SuperCoach player rather than a Fantasy player, just like JPK who you compared. Before last season JPK had averaged over 105 the three consecutive seasons prior.

Without Gibbs and Murphy's fitness always being in question I think Cripps will have to be a true vocal point for the Blues this season. Because he still hasn't finished a season averaging over 100 there deserves to be doubts but even if he he doesn't average that 105-110 like I'm hoping/expecting because of his price he shouldn't be losing the coaches that pick him any money.

I haven't seen too many blokes mention Mitch Robinson on here? Take out his 23 from last year when he got injured in the 1st quarter and he averaged 92, priced at 77, and with Rocky out could see a lift in points possibly? Just a thought.

This is the first time I'm doing it on my own (usually suck my bro in to help me), happy for any advice! Have already taken on board quite a bit from reading through this thread

upload_2018-2-7_15-42-7.png

This is the first time I'm doing it on my own (usually suck my bro in to help me), happy for any advice! Have already taken on board quite a bit from reading through this thread

View attachment 457414
First thoughts are
Backline - Way too many dollars spent in it, Try max 3 premos and 3 rooks or even 2 premos a mid pricer and 170K rooks. Hodge is an interesting choice, he should get fed alot of the ball from the young backline, dont know if he will play enough games and lets face it, hes old!
Midfield - Not enough dollars spent. I think you need minimum 5 premos, or at least 4 and a A grader who is under priced. You have the 3 amigos so you cant go wrong.
Ruck - good to see nicnat not in the team.
Forward - JJK is under done - and as a rule i wouldnt get a key forward that isnt buddy. Can score well, though his pre season has been restricted. I like the Grey pick, its unique, hes not TOO expensive, though for a couple extra bucks i think id prefer Ah Chee
Bench - Harley who knows if he will play ?? if not - go down to Venables and upgrade elsewhere.

Hope it helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back